Thank you myfitnesspal.com - I am under 200 pounds!

Options
I have struggled with trying to lose weight off and on for over a decade. It was just too daunting until I discovered myfitnesspal.com earlier this year. This site and the iPod app really work amazingly well for me, it makes losing weight almost as simple as the phrase 'eat less, move more" implies. The result is that today I am under 200 pounds for the first time in nearly 15 years, and I have dropped from a size 42 waist to a size 34, and I feel generally better both physically and mentally. My doctor is going to be amazed, he had given up on me losing weight.

THANK YOU MYFITNESSPAL.COM!

Replies

• Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    That's awesome, great job!
  • TashaS
    TashaS Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

I have a feeling I'll be posting this same success story in a matter of weeks! I love MFP!!
  • nancyggg
    nancyggg Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yeah!! Congratulations! I know you are so proud of your self and you should be!!! Celebrate with something nice for you...
  • julest25
    julest25 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Well done! and congratulations!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Awesome story, very inspiring. Congrats!!
  • ArmyWife815
    Options
    Congratulations! Will shout when that day comes for me!!:laugh:
  • asking131
    Options
    Congratulations!! I hope to be in your shoes someday soon. I, too, have struggled to lose weight most of my life, but this website makes it feel that much easier and helps you feel like it's not overwhelming, it's not impossible, and most importantly that there are no more excuses not to do it! Seeing people like you lose weight the old-fashioned way is what makes this site what it is. It gives us that little push when we crave a cheeseburger or feel too tired to work out. It tells us that we will see results if we do what we're supposed to and eat what we're supposed to. Thank you for the inspiration!
  • kpressley392
    kpressley392 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!! I am thankful as well (got into a pair of jeans this morning I have not worn in several years :smile:
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    Congratulations on your total weight loss as well as getting into ONEderland. You are doing fantastic! Another proof-positive that we can do this!!!! :happy:
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That is amazing, Congratulations!
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    What a wonderful discovery on Monday! Congratulations to you... that is awesome!
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. Great job!!
  • Kippster
    Kippster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! That is fantastic, i want to know your secret, weight is not falling off me and i'm frusterated, not sure what i'm doing wrong, but seeing your story is inspiring!!! You should be very proud!:happy:
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Great job, congratulations. And I'm right there with you in loving MFP, I could not have done this without this site. Thanks for sharing and good luck on your continuing journey.
  • davebarron
    Options
    Hi Kippster,

I'm not sure there is a secret, I know it isn't easy but myfitnesspal.com helped make it a LOT easier for me. I started at another website and switched to myfitnesspal.com as soon as I discovered it because it was so very much easier to use and way faster, and has a much better database of foods, and is way more convenient with the ipod app for when I was at a restaurant or traveling. I wish I had discovered these forums earlier!

Also men seem to have an easier time of it than women, sorry about that! :)

Some of the big things, the really key things that really helped me:
    - i knew I had to be strict with myself or this wouldn't work - so I got a scale and measure / weigh absolutely everything and enter absolutely everything (absolutely no guessing)
    - important for me: no junk food, no take out , make everything myself, because I am worth the effort!
    - plan ahead, always keep a couple of good options for each meal in the house so I can "do the right thing", because I am worth the effort!
    - always start the day with a really good substantial breakfast so I can get through the (rare!) night with hunger pangs by looking forward to breakfast, include protein which sticks with you through the day
    - always end the day with a small piece of chocolate and/or a fruit smoothie (3/4 cup frozen fruit like strawberries + 1/3 banana + sugar substitute + bit of cold water in blender or bullet) to have a reward to look forward to every day

Other things that seemed to really help me:
    - exercise 3 or 4 times a week - even just a really fast walk for half an hour, or when raining go up and down a flight of stairs with ipod for half an hour, anything that makes me breathe hard and sweat a bit, the reward is more calories that day!
    - portion control: limited myself to 1 really good piece of bread a day, cut out most fats, way smaller meat servings smaller than a deck of cards
    - eat lots of fresh raw vegetables of lots of different colours, its expensive but tasty and filling and you are worth it! you may also have to shop a lot more often but you are worth the effort!
    - a piece of fruit is way better than junk food so if you have to eat something off your plan, eat fruit! a cup of tea or chicken stock or consomme also helped me with (rare!) between meal hunger pangs though these went away after a few weeks
    - diet jello is a really easy and fun retro treat
    - drink lots of water, I also like some crystal light and diet coke each day
    - one holiday every week or two where I can eat a full normal day of calories eg. go to a restaurant with friends
    - allow occasional small glass of red wine or light beer or a wee dram of single malt scotch but measure and record it!
    - check out the recipe ideas on this site they are fantastic, i had no idea good-for-you food could taste so darn good
    - remind yourself daily of the benefits (for me it is better health, better looks leading to better self esteem and no I'm not vain I'm normal, new clothes)
    - I don't have to be stuffed to be full

My partner ate the same things except added potatoes and rice and couscous and pasta and bread and more fats.

sample menu
    - breakfast : extra crispy bacon squeezed in paper towel, dark toast with scrambled egg substitute + 1T half fat sour cream + 2T salsa, 1 coffee with 1 T half and half
    - morning snack: 1 piece of fruit, unlimited (but still measured and recorded!) raw colourful veggies (peppers, carrots, broccoli)
    - lunch: organic vegetable barley soup and light rye crackers with a little light cream cheese with flavour eg smoked salmon, 1 fruit, unlimited raw colorful veggies, lots of water
    - afternoon snack: 1 fruit or occasional small piece of light cheese on a cracker, unlimited raw colourful veggies, lots of water
    - if I exercised: reward of hot air popcorn with cheese flavour powder (not microwave or oil popcorn) and way too much salt (hey I'm not perfect!)
    - for dinner: small serving of meat (e.g. 100g baked chicken breast with tomato sauce and sprinkle of real parmesan) with unlimited colourful vegetables/salsa and a greek salad (lots tomato and cucumber with tiny oil, tiny feta, one olive, vinegar OK)
    - evening snack: REWARD TIME! tiny piece of chocolate and/or fruit smoothie made with frozen berries + 1/3 banana + sugar substitute + cold water in blender or bullet

- alternative breakfast: 1/3 cup greek yoghurt with 1/2 cup bran flakes and 1/2 cup fresh berries and sugar substitute
    - alternative quick breakfast: 1 cup bran flakes plus 1/2 banana + 1/3 cup skim milk
    - alternative lunch: 2 or 3 light rye crackers with small 85g tin of flavoured tuna or sardines, consomme
    - alternative lunch: huge iceberg lettuce and chopped tomato salad with 1 inch cube of sharp cheese shredded and cracked pepper
    - alternative dinner: make small thin homemade extra lean burger patties 85g each, freeze most, have 1 with small soft bun and a huge baby spinach salad (tons of baby spinach plus 1/2 cup fresh or canned-in-own-juice mandarin orange wedges and 1/2 piece finely chopped crispy bacon or tiny bit of crumbled low fat feta cheese for flavour only)
    - easy alternative dinner: 1/4 or 1/3 Dr. Oetker Ristorante thin crust pizza baked with added tomato sauce, veggies and italian spices, plus HUGE shredded carrot / chopped red and green pepper/ sliced zucchini salad with lemon and cracked pepper
  • Kippster
    Kippster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    WOW, I appreciate all the words of wisdom you have. I will try my darndest to follow that. I am fairly new to the site, is there a special place to find receipe ideas? I realize this is going to be a big struggle for me, but i'm game for it and there is sooooooo much support on mfp i love it, there are many nice and encouraging people here.
    I wish you well on the rest of your journey!!!
  • andermt
    andermt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well done. I also dipped under 200lbs this week for the first time in about 15 years.
  • e1ny
    e1ny Posts: 29
    Options
    Congratulations! And thanks for your detailed tips - very helpful. I will return to read this one for ideas again.
  • davebarron
    Options
    @andermt WOW - good job!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!