New to smoothies

Options
Had my first smoothie this morning...4 strawberries, a banana, six spinach leaves and six ounces of milk...very filling but I didn't dig it. Anyone one else have any good ones?

Replies

• sparkylady1
    sparkylady1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie most mornings....1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup strawberries (or any fruit on hand), 1 tbsp chia seeds, 2 scoops women's protein powder and 1 tbsp of PB2 (chocolate flavor)...it's yum and very filling. Good luck..and you will find a combo you enjoy, just keep playing around with different combinations.
  • LosingItWithGod
    Options
    I usually end up putting to much fruit in mine and not enough other stuff. I tried spinach in smoothly before and YUCK.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Have a banana in normal state. More/just as filling, cheaper, better for you and saves time.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    my favourite smoothie recipe:

1 scoop vanilla flavour protein powder (whey isolate)
    100ml laban (Arabic dairy product - yoghurt will do instead)
    frozen fruit, e.g. mango, strawberry or similar - whatever you like really but sweeter fruits work better

that said, if you really don't like smoothies you don't have to have them - there are other ways to get the same nutrients
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    I concur on the vanilla protein powder though I've only used it with all-fruit smoothies.

Mango, pineapple, peaches, and watermelon could all add enough sweet to counteract any bitter you are getting from greens.
  • janeishavingtrouble
    janeishavingtrouble Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup ice
    2 Tablespoons lemon juice
    1/4 cup yogurt
    3/4 cup frozen mixed berries
    1/2 chopped medium carrot
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 to 3/4 cup low fat milk

love this
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Cocoa - Dry powder, unsweetened, 1 tbsp

Timea - Avocado, 0.5 Medium Avocado (150g)

Strong Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 3 fl oz

Progressive - Harmonized Vegan Protein Natural Vanilla, 0.5 Scoop (35 grams)

Pear - Bartlett (Fresh), 1 medium- approx 6oz (177g)

Silk - Almond milk unsweetened, 0.25 cup

Coconut water (optional frozen in cubes), 0.25 cup
  • JoMoMOMx3
    JoMoMOMx3 Posts: 77
    Options
    i love taking a frozen banana, some frozen strawberries, a bunch of spinach/kale and some milk and blending it all together. i can never taste the kale or spinach. even my kids love it.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I eat a smoothie almost every weekday. I vary my frozen berries but normally looks like this:
    banana, orange or apple (depending on which blender I use... I can get the apple really pureed at my boyfriends house b/c he has a viatmix)
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries or pineapple
    1/2 cup frozen of choice (above)
    If you want less sugar just use less frozen stuff
  • MarleeHayes
    Options
    My absolute favorite is a little frozen pineapple, banana, spinach and water. It's super easy and you can't taste the spinach...I always put extra spinach in mine!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    My go to smoothie lately has been...

100g Carrot
    100g Broccoli
    1c Skim Milk
    1 Scoop Protein Powder
    200g Frozen Blueberries

Sometimes ill sub out broccoli for spinach.

I have a kick *kitten* blender (Blendtec) and it makes all the difference in the world I find. Can't taste the veggies int he above one at all.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Large smoothie this morning: (nutriblast)
    2 c baby spinach
    1 banana
    3 clementines
    1 c strawberries
    1/2 c blackberries

In general, I do 1 c spinach for a smaller smoothie and 2 c for large (2 c. is a bit less than 3 oz. if you weigh, at least by my measures). Then I cram as much fruit into the cup as possible (1c. strawberries and a banana are usually my start, then clementines, blackberries, raspberry, pineapple, blueberries, whatever fruit was on sale or convenient at the grocery store and trying to mix colors to get a variety of nutrients). I've started adding vanilla protein powder and/or plain non-fat greek yogurt to add some protein and it's been ok.

I've never had issues with spinach/baby spinach, but kale has more taste so it needs stronger tasting fruit to mask (I generally stick to spinach). Some is also texture, banana tends to give a creamier texture, if you add less water (or juice or whatever) you get thicker "smoothie"; a friend will eat hers with a spoon more like a yogurt or pudding. If you don't like it, it won't be beneficial. If you can find something that you like, that's great, but if it's not for you, find other ways to get your fruits and veggies. My opinion for what it's worth.
  • SlimDown4Good
    Options
    Apple Pie Smoothie

1 red apple
    1 small banana
    6 oz Greek Yogurt
    3/4 cup skim milk
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    5 almonds

I add 1 spenda (my personal preference)
    Put these in my NutriBullet for 40 seconds and I have a delicious meal !!
    Not to mention very filling!!

I also buy small bananas - cut each into 5 pieces and freeze them.

I got this recipe from Harley Pasternak's book The Body Reset Diet.

397 Calories
    3.5 grams fat
    Fiber 8.5 grams
    Protein 23.7 grams
  • Tisiwa
    Tisiwa Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are a great and easy way to consume your veggies and fruits. Be mindful of the unintended calories, and sugar you could take in if you aren't careful.

I love spinach, its 7 calories per cup. Bananas are tasty, yet they can add lots of calories, Berries are tasty and lower in calories, adding ginger, radishes, melons, a few seeds, flax and or chia, sparingly as they are high in calories. I tend to use water instead of milk, to reduce the calories in my smoothie. Almond Milk, I've recently discovered is about 30 calories per 8oz, is something I use as well, and I like it.

I'll cut watermelons, cantalopes, freeze them, and instead of ice I use my frozen fuit, it blends like a sorbet, or italian ice.

You have to figure out what you like and how it will fuel your body, and decide for yourself.

If I have a banana, I will have 1/3 to 1/2 and keep it at about 50 calories and then I'll use spinach, ginger, a few chia seeds, plus water and ice to keep the smoothie around 100 calories.

Enjoy..
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Every day
    11 oz. (one tetrapack) of Coconut Water
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    2 c frozen collard greens
    1 scoop vanilla Vega One

Then I use whatever fruit I have lying around and feel like using. It's usually a banana or an apple.