Bikini/Fitness Competitor Question

My trainer has suggested that I train for a competition of some type. After losing as much weight as I have (112 lbs), he feels like I could be successful. I guess my brain hasn't quite caught up with what I see in the mirror, so I'm a little reluctant to believe I even have the right type of body to even dream about these type of comps. I know it will be a lot of VERY hard work, and I've already come so far.I guess I'm looking for an objective outside opinion about whether I even have a shot before I set myself up to get crushed. Be honest...I'd rather hear it here than from a judge in front of a crowd. I'm not looking for compliments here, I'm looking for constructive criticism. I appreciate any input you might have.

Replies

• DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Okay I'm not even sure why I clicked on this (let's just say when you think "Bikini/Fitness" you DON'T think, "DucklingtoSwan") :tongue:

But for whatever reason I did, and I'm glad, because I understand your feelings of doubt. First of all, you have achieved SO MUCH to be proud of!!!

As to your trainer's suggestion... my first thought was that he would not have even brought it up if he didn't feel you have the potential to enjoy at least some success from it. (And after I looked at your photos I can see why, you really look great!) It also occurs to me, you are so close to goal, so perhaps setting your sights on an event of this sort is a logical thing to do, to set a new personal goal since you will have reached this one.

It might take a while before you can see yourself properly in a mirror. I know that the weight can sometimes come off even more slowly from your brain than it did your body. But why not trust him for now? You've trusted him this far, and look at you :flowerforyou: Yes it will be a lot of work but it will help keep things interesting and be something to strive for as you get used to your new body.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    I just looked through your pics and you look awesome! It will take a lot of hard work and dedication but I think you could rock it!
  • brandileah111
    brandileah111 Posts: 399 Member
    Thanks so much, ladies. I just want to be realistic with myself. Your kind words are very much appreciated!
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    I often join competitions (not bikini fitness competitions) but other ones just for the fun of participating. I won once, and that was awesome. But also fun just to participate. Would it be fun for you to participate? Would you feel like you didn't do well unless you won? Would it be mostly stressful?
  • brandileah111
    I feel like it might be a lot of pressure, but it would also be very rewarding either way. It might not help my confidence if I don't place, but I suppose I'll have to decide if I can handle that risk.
  • brandileah111
    Bump...anyone else?
  • lanihincary
    lanihincary Posts: 2 Member
    I just found this thread... did you compete? How did you do? I am interested in competing in spring 2016.