Tracking workouts in MFP vs. Fitbit

Options
Should I be logging my cardio workouts in myfitnesspal or on fitbit? I have the accounts linked so I am concerned that if I log my workouts in MFP that fitbit will also detect them and then I will be doubling up on calories burned. Don't want to do that or I might eat more than I am supposed to.

Replies

• SSheriff1223
    Options
    I bought a Fitbit a couple of months ago and I've been just adding my work outs to MFP.
  • mcjaegs
    mcjaegs Posts: 7
    Options
    Do they still show up for you then on your fitbit dashboard too?
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use the fitbit just to monitor my steps and sleep (I know, I probably could have picked a cheaper one for that). When I go for runs, I take it off and manually input the workout. That way it doesn't double up, and I can specify what the workout was, as opposed to "fitbit calorie adjustment." Makes it easier to review.
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I log my workouts using the Fitbit app. When I logged via MFP, it stopped adding my calories from Fitbit. I probably had my settings weird, but I have since just logged them all on the Fitbit app. It actually includes a list my activities from MFP, so I didn't have to create new activites for my HRM, which is nice. I also take my Flex off when I am using my HRM, so I don't double count.
  • smjoers
    smjoers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use the fitbit and it automatically updates on MFP so I don't update myself otherwise I'd be doubling up. My only concern is the amount of calories it says I'm burning. It seems like too much. Does anyone know how accurate the fitbit is with calories out?
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Log them onto MFP they will automatically link to your Fitbit.
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I log through MFP,but use a heart monitor to put in my own calories. If anything for me the MFP calories is always lower than what my heart monitor says I did.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I no longer log my workouts on MFP and do all that through fitbit. If I run or cross train I wear the fitbit. If I bike or swim, I log the workout on the fitbit website and let it adjust on my dashboard, which then adjusts my calories on MFP. I still log all my food on MFP and just post my workouts without actually 'logging' them here. I feel like this has given me a better idea of what my TDEE is from day to day.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    according to the fitbit instructions, you're supposed to upload your workouts to MFP, and then the fitbit will pull the information from MFP when it syncs.
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use fitbit for all step related activity. Other activities I note the time started and time spent and log on MFP.
    MFP and fitbit seem to allow too make calories for non step related activity. For instance, I ride a recumbent bike with a computer inc a HRM. I did a fairly vigorous hour last night and the bike computer gave me 302 calories. MFP allowed 528 calories for "light effort stationary bike." I logged what the bike computer said. Fitbit seems to be fairly accurate with calories burned using steps. I enter mine in at sedentary and allow fitbit to judge my activity. Anything else, I manually log into MFP, making sure I have my settings to allow negative calorie adjustment. The counts sound right. Unfortunately, I don't lose as fast at this point in my life as I did in my 20s, 30s and even 40s.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've had my FitBit for over a year now, and I used to log my cardio on MFP. Then they implemented the FitBit adjustment feature. At that point, I stopped logging any exercise on MFP for fear of getting my calories wrong. I have a FitBit One, and I use the 'log activity' feature (on the One you just hold down the button until the stopwatch starts to begin the logging, and hold it down until the stopwatch stops at the end of your cardio activity) to track the number of calories I burn during cardio.

Supposedly you can take the data from your activity log on Fitbit and enter it into MFP without causing errors, but I haven't tried it. I can see how some people might want to keep track of the type of exercise they do and not just calories burned, but letting FitBit do all the work is much easier for me.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I use the fitbit and it automatically updates on MFP so I don't update myself otherwise I'd be doubling up. My only concern is the amount of calories it says I'm burning. It seems like too much. Does anyone know how accurate the fitbit is with calories out?

Personally, I don't think its accurate. I normally just use the Fibit adjustment as well, but I don't always eat the calories back. Yesterday MFP showed a Fitbit adjustment of 304 cals for the whole day, but my HRM showed 500 cals for just under 90 mins at the gym. Fitbit doesn't seem to count things like cycling, so you could burn mega calories on your bike which you get no credit for.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've had my FitBit for over a year now, and I used to log my cardio on MFP. Then they implemented the FitBit adjustment feature. At that point, I stopped logging any exercise on MFP for fear of getting my calories wrong. I have a FitBit One, and I use the 'log activity' feature (on the One you just hold down the button until the stopwatch starts to begin the logging, and hold it down until the stopwatch stops at the end of your cardio activity) to track the number of calories I burn during cardio.

Supposedly you can take the data from your activity log on Fitbit and enter it into MFP without causing errors, but I haven't tried it. I can see how some people might want to keep track of the type of exercise they do and not just calories burned, but letting FitBit do all the work is much easier for me.

I don't use the 'log activity' feature, cos I'd forget to press it once the workout is over.......
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Fitbit doesn't seem to count things like cycling, so you could burn mega calories on your bike which you get no credit for.

This is exactly why I self log my stationary bike on MFP. I use what the bike computer says. MFP is way high on calorie estimation.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you have a HRM and can log your workout in MFP with the accurate calorie count from your HRM...it will update your calories burned in fitbit...for instance...if I do a workout video...my fitbit is only counting steps so it may say I only burned 100 in 20 minutes, but my HRM says I burned 200 based on my HR...if I log the 200 for 20 minutes in MFP...your fitbit calorie count will go up by 100 for that exact 20 minutes to show the appropriate 200 for that time burned. but you also have to log the actual time you started and durating in MFP. I do it for jogging sometimes too because I am a super slow jogger but my HR stays way up....

and it does adjust your "calories adjustment" in MFP as well.... so technically it isn't getting double counted
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Oh and I had to actually adjust my "starting" MFP calories down...because with the adjustment (not logging any exercise), it was only giving me a 333 calorie deficit in MFP...so now I have it to where at the end of the day MFP and fitbit match for a 500 calorie deficit...if that makes sense? In other words, I don't have my MFP set to 1200...its set to like 1000...because it was off....every day consistently (I tracked calories in versus out for MFP vs Fitbit in a spreadsheet to figure this out)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference really. I log them into FitBit. It won't show your workout in your newsfeed or anything, but you do get credited the calories burned on MFP.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    You can long your work out, I log my strength training and use my HRM. If fitbit has given me 200 calories and then I log 200 from strength training fitbit goes back to zero.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I log my activity in MFP and it syncs to FitBit. I haven't had any problems with it.
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Enter your activity into MFP and Fitbit will auto adjust when needed. There is no double dipping that way and you will be fine. Checkout the fitbit forum for more information