Anyone with similar relationship with food?

Options
I don't think I have a problem with emotional eating. Usually when I'm upset or depressed I don't want to eat and have no appetite. When I'm in a good mood I am usually able to stay on track easily. But I do have a crappy relationship with food at times. For example, last night after a great day of counting calories, staying in my limits, and doing well, I binged on stuff. I wasn't hungry, I was upset, I wasn't even bored. I was offered those things and felt guilty turning it down. I always feel guilty turning down food someone in my family has offered me and I feel guilty wasting things I have bought by not eating them.

Growing up my mom and dad divorced, which is when the weight loss started. Not because of the divorce, but my mom had limited funds. Whenever she had money, she bought junk food, fast food, supersize combo meals because it seemed cheap and she had no drive left to cook. There were days she wouldn't cook or buy anything and I went to school hungry, had no money for food there, and didn't eat for 2 days. By the time I did have something I knew you ate as much as you could because you never knew when you'd have more. It continued throughout my childhood and adult years which is why I've been obese now. It doesn't help that 4 years ago I was homeless after an ex left me and had hardly any funds for food and spent most of the time wondering where the next meal would come from.

For the most part I have majorly cut down on fast food and am making better choices when I am presented with that stuff. I still have guilty feeling though and a fear of not having food to eat or starving, which is why I believe things like last night occurred. I know I could probably benefit from some therapy but it's not something I'm able to do time wise or financial at the moment. Has anyone else had feelings that are similar and were able to overcome it?

Replies

• angel5561
    angel5561 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have my situation was similar growing up and I also was made to sit at the table and forced to eat food I didn't like. You didn't tell my grandmother no and if she offered you food candy or ice cream you took it. I use to hide it in the garbage can because I was afraid id get in trouble I was super skinny until I moved in with her . There wasn't always food growing up in my house with my mom. As I got older I started using food to calm me and comfort me when I was sad lonely or depressed. I was home alone a lot as a kid. I once ate an entire box of those chocolate bars the school makes you sell as a kid I.was so ashamed. But it was because there was never any food and I was always alone. I have binge ate as an adult too whenever I was stressed id turn to food. I Dont get the urge to do that anymore because I worked on replacing my distorted thoughts and beliefs about food now when someone offers me food I don't feel bad turning it down or giving it away sometimes even throwing it away if I don't want it. I went to a party recently and it wss the first one I can remember not sitting by the food eating to calm my nerves. Ive learned different ways to cope. Its not impossible you can over come this. Xo
  • LAwoman14
    LAwoman14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Uugh,the dreaded emotional eating :embarassed: although i have not had any recent experience with it,thanx to my daughter and of course,MFP.I do understand what u are going thru.I come from a similar family background...i come out of a huge fam of nine sibs,and we were always taught not to waste food,and appreciate everything we had,even if if was something we did not like.We were also taught to take what was offered to us,and be thankful and grateful,so i get that... i became an emo-eater,and is a huge part of why i became overweight.Also,my Hubby loves junk food,but the thing is,he is slim,and can eat just about anything he wants,and how much he wants.He is usually my biggest saboteur,always offering me highly sweetened,caloric,and fattening snacks,which he knows i can't have,but yet,he keeps offering uuugh:mad: i used to eat right along with him,but since i joined MFP,i can now resist those snacks,and choose healthier,low calorie ones:smile: He knows i am committed to losing weight,so he is finally getting it,but still,he keeps buying the snacks,so they are ever present in my home,unfortunately....

I can see how u struggle with this,it seems very psychological,based on what u have been thru.but i commend u for making a strong effort to avoid these situations,and for cutting back on the fast foods,that is a great start! :smile: I am no Doctor,and am not pretending to be.I am just offering some hopefully helpful advice,as best i can. U can start with writing about ur feelings in ur Blog here on MFP. Sometimes,it really helps to write about things that are bothering u,that way,u avoid emotional eating.Also,make sure u convey to ur family that u are trying to make healthier choices,and are in the process of losing weight.Also,try to make a list before u go to the grocery store,and stick with it.Don't go for those 2 for 5 bucks sales on snacks,etc.,or as i call them,"Diet Busters" :noway: Remember,if u don't buy it,u won't have it around the house.Also make sure u let everyone know that u appreciate offers,but can not accept them.I am sure they will understand,and not be hurt by it :smile: I wish u all the best,and stay positive,u can overcome this with a little perseverance,and patience :)