I'm going to need a new goal

Options
The scale this morning said 176. I don't update my "official" weight until I see it a few times. Still calling it 178 for now. But my "goal" weight is 175, so I'm getting really close. This is what I weighed 20 years ago, and I'm really happy about that. I'm going for a personal record in a half marathon on May 18 and I'm sure I'll get that. In fact, I'm becoming pretty confidant I can finish in under two hours, which would be huge. In short, I'm very happy with my progress - but...

I look in the mirror and I can see how far I've come. Much, much better than I was a few months ago. But there's still a fair bit of fat on my belly. "love handles" and the side of my chest. Now that my weight has come down a good bit, I am finally losing it from those areas. I got smaller jeans about a week ago and last week went down a notch on the new belt I got. I'm just a little disappointed. I was hoping at this weight the visible fat would be gone. It's going, but not gone. I'm about 6' tall (5' 11.75') and wondering how much weight I'll have to lose to get where I want to be. Anyone have an idea?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Once you're at a "normal" weight, if you still have areas of fat you don't like, then maybe the problem isn't weight. Maybe it's body fat %. There's sites online that will help you estimate it using a tape measurer.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    For sure the issue is body fat percentage. I have a body fat meter (which I really don't think is accurate, but, it is what it is). It says I'm at about 18%. It's somewhere in that neighborhood. I know I just need to keep doing what I'm doing. Just wondering how many more pounds I'll have to lose to be more happy with what I see in the mirror.

I'm working out a lot - running and at the gym with a trainer. I don't think I'm losing a lot of muscle. Just need to burn more fat.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Athletic goals! You can never 'reach the end' of athletic goals, and if you keep hitting them and eat intelligently, your body will take care of itself.

Great job so far!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    It says I'm at about 18%. It's somewhere in that neighborhood. I know I just need to keep doing what I'm doing. Just wondering how many more pounds I'll have to lose to be more happy with what I see in the mirror.

Let's do math!

176 at 18% bf (even if that's off a little, but let's go with it!) = 31.68 lbs of fat

Let's say you're shooting for 13% bf using your scale you use. Might not be accurate, but let's use it anyway!

176 at 13% bf = 22.88 lbs of fat. That's 10 lbs of fat to lose. However, that isn't 10 lbs of WEIGHT to lose. You start right now eating at maintenance, and then start lifting weights. Lots of them. Heavy weights. Do this for 6 months. See where your bf% is at. This isn't the "fastest" way to add muscle and lose fat. But it's a nice transition to do before the more structured body recomposition methods you might want to do eventually.
  • HmSkillit
    HmSkillit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keep eating healthy, exercising and you will see those areas slim down. Even if you gain strength. It's time you take measurements and stop depending on the scale for your results. As good muscle tone replaces the fat, the scale isn't always going to give you the motivation you desire. You're in a healthy lifestyle, so enjoy it!! Don't stop. Set some different short term goals now. They can be strength related like being able to do 25 pull ups or something like that. The more muscle tone you have, the tighter your body will look and feel. GOOD LUCK!!
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    It says I'm at about 18%. It's somewhere in that neighborhood. I know I just need to keep doing what I'm doing. Just wondering how many more pounds I'll have to lose to be more happy with what I see in the mirror.

Let's do math!

176 at 18% bf (even if that's off a little, but let's go with it!) = 31.68 lbs of fat

Let's say you're shooting for 13% bf using your scale you use. Might not be accurate, but let's use it anyway!

176 at 13% bf = 22.88 lbs of fat. That's 10 lbs of fat to lose. However, that isn't 10 lbs of WEIGHT to lose. You start right now eating at maintenance, and then start lifting weights. Lots of them. Heavy weights. Do this for 6 months. See where your bf% is at. This isn't the "fastest" way to add muscle and lose fat. But it's a nice transition to do before the more structured body recomposition methods you might want to do eventually.

Thanks - yeah, I was just trying to do some math on it too, so this helps. I'd like to build some muscle, so that may be the way to go. My thinking has been that I'd like to get rid of the fat first. As I understand it I won't really build any muscle unless I eat at a surplus, and I will gain some fat along with the muscle. So I'm a little reluctant to transition. But maybe I should try it for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I personally like the recomp idea for a bit once you hit your current goal. As another poster said, you'll never run out of fitness-related goals. :smile:
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    Fitness related goals for sure. I'm going to keep working on whittling down half marathon times. I'll run the Rock N Roll here in Denver again in October. Assuming I make my sub 2:00:00 goal in May, I'll come up with something I think I can do by Oct.

Thanks!