How do you stay motivated?

Options
My weight loss seems to have hit a plateau and I've struggled as a result the last two weeks. I'm resolved not to quit as that's not an option. My question is how do you keep your motivation in times like this? Would love ideas of what works for others when they find themselves in this situation.

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    why did you start in the first place? do you have mini-goals? for me i want to fit in a size 12 wedding dress...and i want to be able to show off my tattoos lol...so i have a picture of my wedding dress on here to remind me what i'm doing...and i have pictures of hot girls with tattoos all over my room (trust me, my fiance doesn't mind)...i also have 1 outfit that i want to fit into...just one...i don't keep half my closet full of clothes that don't fit...but the one outfit i do have, i'll look damn good in when i'm size 12...so i keep that in mind too.
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    For me, I just keep going, I believe that eventually my body will get the hint and start losing again....It's probably because I have made exercise a big part of my daily routine that I feel lost if I don't do it. I used to be hung up on numbers, but now it seems that I just know that continuing to eat healthy and exercise has great benefits on on a totally healthy lifestyle.

This is part of the reason I don't set time limits on my weight loss goals....there are too many factors to take into account...
  • dalzinho
    Options
    Likewise, with plenty of exercise, your weight might plateu, Measure your neck, hips and waist with a tape and use those in conjunction with your body mass to give yourself a better idea of your progress.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday, it motivates me believe it or not! If I see a high number it motivates me to get it back down, if I see a lower number it motivates me to get it even lower!! .. I know silly, but it works for me.. ofcourse I still stick to only 1 official weigh in a week!

Also I join challenges, right now I am running a "Calories Burned" Challenge in my PCOS boards... and seeing others burn calories makes me want to lose.

So join a challenge to keep you motivated
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I look for other things. I own a shirt in a size smaller than I wear and try it on occasionally. I take measurements and I re-measure when the scale isn't moving. I remember where I came from and where I am now. A year ago, I couldn't walk around the zoo without taking MANY breaks. Yesterday I did it all and carried my 35 pound son half the time as well. I remind myself that it's all one big math equation and math can't be wrong. :smile:
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Your motivation is what you have lost thus far. I know how it feels I keep hitting plateaus also but I just think well if I stop then I will have worked to lose the 27lbs I have already lost for nothing, eventually your body will catch up with you and start losing again but stopping will just cause you to gain back what you lost and maybe more.

Keep pushin on girl you can do it!!!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    :smile: 8'10 picture on the refrigerator, bedroom. & office! goals written down & looked at twice a day. Pants that want to fit into when reaching goal! Seeing great great grandchildren!!!
  • zeorimer
    Options
    Honestly I used to do the outfit in the closet thing and I tried the hanging pictures up but I am at the point now of being extremely frustrated so I seriously want to just eat. LOL So I would like to hear all these options too
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I know that most people don't want to see their measurements but it has definitely helped with motivating me. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat and that you could be slimming down but not seeing the results on the scale. So I would try body fat % and measurements or evening trying on clothing that you haven't been able to fit as a gauge. Happy losing!
  • kari11
    kari11 Posts: 6
    Options
    i like the photo idea [of something you want to wear in future] a pic of a former me would be depressing thou...anyway i am motivated by music - i pop my ipod into my ears and off i go. i also have a buddy i walk with and she motivates me - bugs me to join her for walks and i like the me time with a friend -just to vent!
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I think about how bad I felt before I started taking weight off. I was tired all the time, I didn't sleep well, my feet hurt all the time. I couldn't do stuff I wanted to. etc etc. And then I think about how I never ever want to be back in that place again. Ever.

I also don't consider myself on a diet. I've made a lifestyle change, so even if the scale doesn't move ever again, that's still not permission to go back to what I used to do. And of course I know that as long as I keep doing what I'm doing now, the scale WILL move eventually. It can't possibly stay the same as that would defy all biological and physics laws. And I'm ok with it if it takes my body a little longer sometimes to figure out what's going on; afterall I abused it for long enough, its only fair it gets a chance to recoup and get used to this new healthy way of being.

Also smaller mini goals works out well. I have small presents for myself in mind for every 10 pounds. But sometimes I even have to break it down by the day. For example, if its a day when I really really don't want to exercise, then I get up and go kick my own *kitten* around the block a few times. The reward for actually getting off the couch and doing it when I didn't want to - is getting back on the couch in comfy jamies to watch my favourite show before bed. The punishment for not doing it.....well quite frankly its spending another day or two at this weight and pushing my goal that much farther away...
    That usually does it for me.
  • nowic
    nowic Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Tracyts, , One of the things to try to remember is that, we are in this for our health not just a number on a scale. Can you walk further than you did a month ago? Is your recovery time quicker? I know it is so hard to hit those walls. Focus on other accomplishments that go with losing weight. Your strength, endurance, how do clothes fit, self confidence, fitness goals. All of these things make a healthier you!! sometimes we just have to look a little harder for our accomplishments. :D Keep moving!
  • sutehi
    sutehi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do much better when I don't make this about losing weight. Long term goals are hard to hold on to, when you're in a funk. Too intangible, and easy to give up on.

Instead, I remind myself that healthy eating, daily exercise, and drinking enough water make me feel so much better *right now*. This is about taking care of ourselves today. It so happens that that taking proper care of ourselves right now has a long term effect of weight loss and increased fitness. But that's not the point. The point is to make choices today that make you feel physically good, emotionally strong, and in control of your life *right now*.

When I'm in a funk, I ask myself one question: is this how I actually want to feel today? Blechy, frustrated, and depressed. Some days the answer is "yes", and I can't let it go. But I keep asking myself that. After a day or two, I want out of the funk, and I know what I need to do to get out.
  • tracyts
    tracyts Posts: 113
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I greatly appreciate it. I think I've always struggled with putting all my eggs on the scale results and I don't put enough emphasis on all the other healthful gains I've made. You've all helped me remember that and given me some great ideas! Thanks again!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    For me, I just keep going, I believe that eventually my body will get the hint and start losing again....It's probably because I have made exercise a big part of my daily routine that I feel lost if I don't do it. I used to be hung up on numbers, but now it seems that I just know that continuing to eat healthy and exercise has great benefits on on a totally healthy lifestyle.

This is part of the reason I don't set time limits on my weight loss goals....there are too many factors to take into account...

Ditto!! I figure I'm in this for the long haul. If I lose weight, great. But feeling good & having energy are more important to me than a number on the scale.
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    OMG - I wish I could give you the easy answer, but this is the hardest thing I've done in my life. Challenging, but rewarding. My body is the type that if I eat one thing over - I see it on the scale. I gain 2 lbs with out even knowing why or how....ok, so maybe it's my age and years of dieting.

But I keep motivated by talking to people here and I read affirmations daily and I try to give myself positive self talks - I usually am the one beating myself up - so it's a journey for me, a learning experience and I will conquer this weight. I have 22 pounds to go and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Good Luck to you - you can do it!