Running with pollen allergies

Options
Anyone else having a heck of a time with the seasonal allergies this year? The pollen is wreaking havoc with my half-marathon training plans.

Normally, I can take a Benadryl at bedtime and I'm great for the next day. This year I've resorted to taking prescription meds (Singulair, Advair, Flonase, and albuterol inhaler) -- after a sinus infection and ear infections in both ears. And it's the allergies that have caused all my problems.

This week we've got a pollen alert here in Seattle and I'm really hoping my allergy meds have finally kicked in (doctor told me it can take up to two weeks to start working).

Anyone else's training plans being ruined by mother nature?

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if you have thought of using one of the many kinds of cycling filtration masks, they can filter to 2 or 3 microns I think? It has been suggested to me they do not have the capacity for a runner though
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    We haven't got pollen here yet. But my issues are less with breathing than with my skin going itchy all over in pollen season. Try running and itching your ankle at the same time :tongue:
    Benadryl never did anything for me, Claritin gives me headaches etc. so I just put up with whatever symptoms I have and figure "winter is coming" :wink:
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same thing and I'm also in the Puget Sound (Puyallup). I'm actually calling my dr this afternoon to go in and talk about how to keep on my half training plan, so I don't know anything to help. :(

What half are you doing? If I can stay on target with my training, I hope to do the RnR on June 21st.
  • Adefowler
    Adefowler Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Snohomish Women's Run 1/2 next month and Ragnar in July. :-)

The Puget Sound area is getting hit earlier with pollen because of our relatively warm winter. Good luck on your training. My med cocktail really seems to be helping. This week will be the major test; however as pollen counts are back up to high all week.

Once the East coast thaws, they are saying it's going to be one of the worst allergy seasons on record.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Your post motivated me to make sure and call my dr. I will see him tomorrow morning. Good luck with your training and your half!
  • Adefowler
    Adefowler Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just an update that my allergy meds are really working. Sunday was a high pollen day and I ran a 12K (Go Seahawks!) and didn't have my usually sneez-a-thon afterwards. I did, however, trip and skin my knees and my hands in the first mile. But that's because I wasn't paying attention to the road. I was paying attention to a lady laying in the road and wondered "What did she trip ov..." and then I'm laying in the road.