Mistakes People KEEP MAKING Recording Food in Database

A whole lot of people are now either recording food with measurements in the name part, or they are recording food with 2 different measurements--where the measurements go.

This IS MESSING UP THE DATABASE A WHOLE LOT!!!!

If you are recording measurements in the name section, when people go to use your recording in the food database, they end up with both your measurement from the name section, followed by their own actual measurement from the amount of that food that ate. This IS NOT GOOD!!! This is ESPECIALLY BAD ON THE PERSON USING YOUR ENTRY when they have a different size or measurement than what the person who recorded it had. It ends up showing one WRONG measurement and your right measurement that you actually ate.

Then when people record 2 different measurements in the measurement section, the computer only recognizes the 1st measurement number---until the space bar is pressed. This is how computer programs are written people. Then when someone uses your entry in the food data base, it only adjusts the measurement size based on the 1st measurement listed before the space bar is pressed. Then, people using your entry with 2 measurements end up with the 1st measurement that adjusts to to amount eaten, and the 2nd measurement right next to it, ALWAYS STAYS THE SAME!

NO BODY NEEDS 2 MEASUREMENTS IN THEIR FOOD DIARY, WITH ONE OF THEM ALWAYS WRONG if YOU'RE NOT EATING EXACTLY THE SAME SIZE SERVING AS WHO RECORDED IT!!

PEOPLE NEED TO BE MORE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS WHEN THEY RECORD FOOD AND PUT IT IN THE FOOD DATABASE FOR OTHERS TO USE!

PUT ONE MEASUREMENT---WHERE IT GOES! IT IS THAT SIMPLE!!

Replies

• pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    both motivating AND supportive!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    978b86ee_brick-loud-noises-b.jpg
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    I can find more productive things to worry about.....
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Vent much?
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I think I'll continue doing it the way I want. You should do the same.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Where the caps really necessary?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    You know... you could create your OWN food entries and completely avoid this problem.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Get a hobby.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    You also have the power to edit food entries...
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Spelling the name of the product wrong.

My example this morning: Simple Jif, Simply Jiffy, Simpley Jif

Another is for the Nut-Rition packs by Planter's Nuts. However they do have different sized individual servings so I appreciate having the number of ounces in the name for faster searching.
  • Zanthina
    Zanthina Posts: 6
    Haha!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    o_O

I wish my major caps worthy problems were this small. lol
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member

LOL!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Did you post this 3 times?
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,371 Member
    Maybe the site needs to redesign the entry form to explain this? Sodium for instance is hard to get right. g or mg often confuses people (me included) and you get really wacky entries. Still life goes on somehow.... ;-)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Just one of the legion legitimate complaints about food entries, but wrong forum.
  • HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    I create my own entry but I rarely ever let other MFP useres use what I create.

You could create your own entries if you are having a problem going off what people have already put in the database.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    make your own entries.

quit.jpg
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    2x ?!?! same food entry ?!?

1337880268_baby_reaction_face.gif
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,275 Member
    serious first world problems right there....

giphy.gif

\m/
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    No following this. If you want to change the serving size, there is that option in the drop down menu for a lot of the items. If the calorie count seems sketchy to you, then don't use that particular entry, or create your own if you are so sure none of them are accurate. There are at least 50 different "gala apple" entries on MFP, I found one that had the weight in grams and use that - that's what works for me. Someone else may prefer to use the one that goes by apple size or cup. Do what works for you. If you're not seeing results then you are probably doing it wrong anyway.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

party-rock-anthem.gif
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    You also have the power to edit food entries...

THIS!!
  • YES GIRL U TELL THEM!!!! I CANT TELL U ENOUGH TIMES HOW BAD THIS SCREWED MY FOOD DIARY UP BECAUSE I HAD TO EDIT IT AND GOT SO CONFUSING OMG U DONT EVEN KNOW!!!!

THIS IS BAD PEOPLE!!! DONT DO THIS!!!

This IS MESSING UP THE DATABASE A WHOLE LOT!!!!

This IS NOT GOOD!!! This is ESPECIALLY BAD ON THE PERSON USING YOUR ENTRY

NO BODY NEEDS 2 MEASUREMENTS IN THEIR FOOD DIARY, WITH ONE OF THEM ALWAYS WRONG if YOU'RE NOT EATING EXACTLY THE SAME SIZE SERVING AS WHO RECORDED IT!!

PEOPLE NEED TO BE MORE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS WHEN THEY RECORD FOOD AND PUT IT IN THE FOOD DATABASE FOR OTHERS TO USE!

PUT ONE MEASUREMENT---WHERE IT GOES! IT IS THAT SIMPLE!!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Lordy girl, chill out. If people aren't smart enough to read what they are choosing from and compare it to what they are eating, or google the nutritional information and compare, then logging and counting isn't going to do them any good in the first place. You posting in the forums and yelling at people about it isn't going to solve the issue of laziness and personal responsibility.
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    make your own entries.

quit.jpg

LOVE this!!!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Jeee-zus!

I've just been thinking about wanting to use alcohol or drugs (three years clean right now) because I can't get into the apartment I paid rent and deposit for becasue the landlady and contractor are MIA, I don't have the key, I was forced to put my stuff in storage that I can't afford and I'm sleeping on someone's FLOOR right now and may not have a place to live if I don't hear from them. Oh and I have an animal too.

But your problem just trumps mine. I'm such a selfish hag. Someone punch me.
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    the whole data base drives me nuts.
    1% milk, Joe's 1% milk, Bobs 1% milk.
    Is there really a difference.

BUGS ME
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

9. Do Not Post the Same Topic on Multiple Boards or Groups

Please choose the most appropriate board or group for your post and post it once. Posting the same message to multiple boards or multiple groups is a form of spam. Please note that this is NOT a guideline against inadvertently posting a question another member has asked before. We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on. However, the same member cannot ask the same question or post the same topic more than once.

:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1247257-mistakes-people-keep-making-recording-food-in-database
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    tumblr_inline_mweao1F8yN1sohk3w.gif
This discussion has been closed.