Best protein shake recipes?

_lyndseybrooke_
_lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
My post-workout protein shake usually goes like this: 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, big handful of baby spinach, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup water, 3 ice cubes, 1/2 frozen banana. It's absolutely delicious and I love that I'm getting extra vegetables in without even trying.

However, I'd like to try some new recipes. I know a lot of people add peanut butter, but I don't have enough calories to spare for all that. So, what are some low-calorie, quick, and easy recipes for protein shakes?

My protein powder has 115 calories per scoop and I like for the entire shake to be 200-250 calories, including the 30 calories in the milk and 6 calories in the spinach.

Some ideas I'm juggling around are unsweetened cocoa powder and coffee (frappacino-style). Ideas?

Replies

• awest1972
    awest1972 Posts: 2 Member
    I have added cocoa powder and instant coffee granules in mine before. I love it especially in the mornings. You get a little caffeine to help wake up.
  • mynameisnotemily
    mynameisnotemily Posts: 42 Member
    This is mine:

2/3c Low-fat or fat-free yogurt (I use Yoplait Source)
    1/3c Orange juice (you can switch out other varieties)
    1tsp Cold-pressed flaxseed oil (Optional, but healthy)
    1 Scoop* protein powder (I use Optimum Gold Standard Extreme Chocolate Milk)

Blend, then add:

~1c Frozen fruit to taste (I usually use strawberry, peach, or mango)
    I put in about half what I think I'm going to use, blend until mostly smooth, then add in more in increasingly SMALL batches until I reach the desired consistency.

*I actually use about 2/3 a scoop, which is about half a serving, since one serving is a rounded scoop.

You can cut out about half the yogurt and frozen fruit to reduce the calories which keeping the taste more or less the same.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    1/2 scoop vanilla chai, 1 cup unsweet almond milk or soy, 1 scoop vanilla bean protein

have added a shot of coffee or rolled oats in the past...good stuff
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    ice in bottom of blender- about 1 cup
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1/8 cup powdered skim milk
    leftover cold coffee to fill above ice- again, about 1 cup

Blend and enjoy! Better frozen mocha than you can buy almost anywhere!

(Also works with vanilla protein powder or cookies-n-cream)
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    PB2...pb flavor for less calories. Works well in smoothies.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Cocoa - Dry powder, unsweetened, 1 tbsp
    Black beans, 0.25 cup
    Progressive - Harmonized Vegan Protein Natural Vanilla, 1 Scoop (35 grams)
    Strong Coffee - Brewed from grounds, .5 cup
    Pear - Bartlett (Fresh), 0.5 medium- approx 6oz (177g)
    Grace - Coconut Water Without Pulp, 100 ml
    Avocado 0.5 medium

Yummie

Edited because I forgot the avocado!
  • skirksey77
    skirksey77 Posts: 3 Member
    What brand of protein powder are you all suggesting? I've tried one in the past and it was AWFUL! Any recommendations? I'd like to try protien shakes.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    What brand of protein powder are you all suggesting? I've tried one in the past and it was AWFUL! Any recommendations? I'd like to try protien shakes.

I know what you mean! I tried two different protein powders before I found this one and they were absolutely awful. My husband uses the Oh Yeah! brand in their Vanilla flavor. It's a whopping 38 g of protein per scoop, but it's over 200 calories and has way more sodium in it than it should. He has to chug it to get it down and I tried to use the recipe I originally posted to make it taste better and it didn't work - it had a really weird taste that I can't quite put my finger on.

The other brand I tried was the Walmart whey protein powder. Gross.

So I went to the local nutrition shop and asked the girl there what she recommended as far as flavor and calorie count go. She recommended CSN 100% Pro Whey Standard protein powder. One 32 g scoop contains only 115 calories, 24 g protein, 1 g fat, 2 g carbs, 1 g sugar, and 35 mg sodium. I was skeptical, but WOW. First of all, it mixes SO well. You can just mix it with a spoon and there won't be any lumps. No weird aftertaste at all. It is DELICIOUS! It tastes like a melted vanilla milkshake. I started off just using a scoop of the powder with 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup almond milk, but then I discovered this other recipe which basically doubles the amount you get to drink. I can't say enough good things about this protein powder.

HOWEVER, I believe it's hard to find if you don't live in South Carolina - it seems to be a local brand. You can get it online, though: http://www.southcarolinabarbell.com/store/search/brand/CSN/ or http://www.planetarynutrition.com/csn-pro-whey-standard-10lb/.

If you'd like to try something more easily accessible, I've heard good things about BSN Lean Dessert. A 35 g scoop yields 150 calories, 21 g protein, 3.5 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3 g sugar, and 120 mg of sodium. Most people seem to like the taste of it, but I haven't tried it myself.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Check this out: http://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/

My new go-to for protein shakes. SOOOO Yummy.

I use either Promasil powder, 100 calories a scoop, 20 grams of protein, and right now I am using Gold Standard 100% Whey Vanilla Crème. Its good. 110 calories, 24 grams of protein. Both are available at GNC.
  • I really like Vega (vanilla).
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Check this out: http://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/

My new go-to for protein shakes. SOOOO Yummy.

I use either Promasil powder, 100 calories a scoop, 20 grams of protein, and right now I am using Gold Standard 100% Whey Vanilla Crème. Its good. 110 calories, 24 grams of protein. Both are available at GNC.

Thank you so much for that link!