Most obese city in the U.S. / April 7th 2014

Options
Blacklance36
Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
And the winner is:

Huntington, West Virginia, has been awarded the dubious mantle of America’s fattest city, as new research found that the proportion of obese U.S. citizens grew again last year to 27 per cent.

With almost 40 per cent of its population classed as obese, the riverside city of 50,000 led the nation in a survey by the polling company Gallup. The fittest Americans were found in Boulder, Colorado, where just over 12 per cent of the residents of the sports-mad university community were classed as obese.

Of Americans as a whole, just 35 per cent are considered to be of normal weight, according to the survey. It showed a one per cent rise in obesity from 26 per cent in 2012, while a further 35 per cent were classed as overweight.

Boulder, in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, was the only U.S. metropolitan area to achieve an obesity rate below 15 per cent in 2013, according to the research.

Comments?

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Never been to West Virginia, but spent some time in Boulder. Everyone looks great there.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I stopped in Huntington, West Virginia to refuel doing a cross country flight years ago. There were indeed some heavy folks on the ramp and in the FBO. I didn't venture around town, though.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I would also like to see a comparison to other first world countries like Canada.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to West Virgina, but I have been to Colorado several times. I can believe there are fit, active residents in Boulder.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    West Virginia and Colorado in one thread....is this some sort of John Denver tribute?
  • myuhmaya
    myuhmaya Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they all look great!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Always considered those things bunk.

I've been considered obese my whole life from the silly charts...
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat West Virginian, but I don't live in Huntington.

It's not a real shock, since I don't think it's the first time the city has been named the fattest. I mean, Jamie Oliver did his Food Revolution show in Huntington because it was the fattest, and that was 5 or so years ago.

The state, overall, is close to the top, if not at the top, in obesity. And, while I am not proud of it as a West Virginian, I know I am part of the problem and am working on it.

but at least I was in before any hillbilly or incest jokes.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I would also like to see a comparison to other first world countries like Canada.

Hey! We are not fat, we are fluffy.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    When we went to Orlando on vacation, I was so grossed out by the amount of people I saw in motorized scooters getting around. Ugh.
  • jkwolly
    Options

Hey! We are not fat, we are fluffy.
    All those damn timbits get to us :love:
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options

I would like to see a comparison study of Canadian "obesity" levels between our 2 seasons....I bet there would be a natural rise and fall in waist lines directly related to the plummeting of the mercury from November - March.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    IN! in, i think i beat the hillbilly and incest jokes too.
  • jkwolly
    Options

I would like to see a comparison study of Canadian "obesity" levels between our 2 seasons....I bet there would be a natural rise and fall in waist lines directly related to the plummeting of the mercury from November - March.
    HA so true!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    West Virginia and Colorado in one thread....is this some sort of John Denver tribute?

This made me smile!!

Almost heaven, West Virginia...
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Education and income levels play into obesity rates.

Based on a large national study, body mass index (or BMI, an indicator of excess body fat) was higher every year between 1986 and 2002 among adults in the lowest income group and the lowest education group than among those in the highest income and education groups, respectively (Truong & Sturm, 2005).

Wages were inversely related to BMI and obesity in a nationally representative sample of more than 6,000 adults – meaning, those with low wages had increased BMI as well as increased chance of being obese (Kim & Leigh, 2010).

Huntington WV…. Estimated median household income in 2011: $29,750,
    Estimated median income for a family in 2011: $34,756
    Estimated per capita income in 2011: $21,455

Boulder CO… Estimated median household income in 2011: $57,112
    Estimated median family income in 2011: $113,681
    Estimated per capita income in 2011: $37,600.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

^ This x 10
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So only 3% are underweight?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I think i read recently that Mexico now has a higher obesity rate than the U.S.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

plummeting of what mercury? (I'm not from the USA or Canada so I'm not aware of all the local issues with these countries)

eta: do you mean from the weather? *confused*

I'd be interested to know which city in the UK is the fattest though. I can't think of any off the top of my head that seem to be fatter than others.