How do you guys motivate yourselves to cook?

Options
Crateria_
Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
I'll admit it. I'm lazy. I love cooking but the act of getting myself to actually cook is really hard.

So, I'll take shortcuts. Lean Cuisine here, veggie burgers from BK, wraps from Wawa or Tropical Smoothie. I've come to feel like I'm fooling myself into thinking I'm "eating healthy".

My routine is get off work, workout, spend as little as time possible preparing a meal so I can go on to play video games.

But let's be real here. The video games? They're not going to stop being played. So how can I motivate myself to cook or prepare a meal and have fun while doing it so I can CONTINUE to do it? I have to make every aspect of my life FUN in order to do it, it's just how I am.

I feel like if I continue teasing myself with so-called "healthy foods" that I'm going to end up never eating truly healthy at all.

So, tips? Advice? :) Thanks.

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Easy, I love good food, and that means I have to cook it, I love to cook and things that come out of a box, or were made and packaged assembly line style simply don't appeal.

Rigger
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can eat more if I cook it, as it will have less calories than if I buy it and will be more filling. It's win/win.

I was in your situation a year ago though! Then I stopped playing video games (until dragon age 3). So obviously I have more time.

I listen to music and sing while I cook though, so it's not boring.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I love cooking. I'm a foodie and enjoy quality prepared food. I personally don't know how people don't cook and stomach much of that pre-packaged or ready made foods and fast food all of the time...that **** is just plain nasty.
  • Crateria_
    Options
    I love cooking. I'm a foodie and enjoy quality prepared food. I personally don't know how people don't cook and stomach much of that pre-packaged or ready made foods and fast food all of the time...that **** is just plain nasty.

What I'm hoping is to find a way to get myself to enjoy it so I can lose the taste for fast food and stuff like that. Once I lose the taste for it I won't be able to stand going back. But if you're used to something it's easy to keep going back to it.
  • Crateria_
    Options
    I listen to music and sing while I cook though, so it's not boring.
    Ah, theres a good idea. :)
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I found super geeky cookbooks that seem to make it more fun. I have a Harry Potter one and Star Wars one that I use regularly. I have to switch things out in the recipes to make them a little more healthy, or cut the recipe in half, but it makes it fun.
  • jtbox28
    jtbox28 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cooking in bulk frees up a lot of time for me. I plan out my breakfast & lunches for the week and go grocery shopping on Saturday. On Sunday, I cook all of my breakfasts and lunches for Monday through Friday. It takes about 2-3 hours for everything including clean up, but I have healthy meals prepared for the entire week. This helps me stay on my eating plan and meet my daily calorie goals.

For dinners, I will cook a big dinner to have enough for left overs 2-3 times a week. Sometimes, I will make a big dish on a weekend and freeze portions, so during the week, I just have to reheat a healthy meal.

Pros of doing this: Saves a ton of time during the week, much easier to stay on my eating plan, does not take much work to cook in bulk

Con of doing this: If you require a lot of variety to avoid getting bored of tired of the same thing, this idea requires more work to cook different meals. I try to avoid this by changing up what I eat for breakfast & lunch each week, and the frozen meals also help add a little variety. You also have to be very careful with portion control and measurements when cooking in bulk to keep an accurate record of intake.

TL;DR: To keep playing video games, cook in bulk and have meals on hand, ready to eat.
  • Crateria_
    Options
    I found super geeky cookbooks that seem to make it more fun. I have a Harry Potter one and Star Wars one that I use regularly. I have to switch things out in the recipes to make them a little more healthy, or cut the recipe in half, but it makes it fun.
    Oh awesome!!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can batch cook some meals for a few days... That way you will have healthier foods that you cooked available and you wont have to cook as often
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    QFT............I also cooked for a living.......now that I'm semi-retired I still cook.......When we have to do something multiple times a day (eat) it kinda makes sense that cooking should be at least a basic skill. Not being able to or rather not cook is probably why people have a taste and enjoy ready make meals.....I can't think of any other reason why someone would want to eat them.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new here, too, although I was on MFP last year. I just lost it, but I am back. I find that having foods in the house that are good and easy to prepare helps me as I am just starting out. I also use my crockpot a lot. Although it bugs me that the new crockpots all overcook foods, because the industry has done away with the low setting.

Anyway, when I cook, I find that the kids and my husband often don't like what I make, so I force them to all sit down and we plan a week's worth of dinners. That way I know what's coming up, what to shop for and they know that if they don't like what's coming, to make a sandwich or something.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Easy, I love good food, and that means I have to cook it, I love to cook and things that come out of a box, or were made and packaged assembly line style simply don't appeal.

Ditto this. I love good food and Lean Cuisine and the like do not taste good to me at all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, so it's easy for me. I find food prep relaxing. Even when my husband cooks, I do all the chopping, slicing, etc.

But if you don't enjoy that part, I'd suggest doing as much prep ahead of time as possible. When you get home from shopping, clean and chop/slice vegetables and keep them in the fridge ready for cooking. Once the veggies are sliced you can prepare lots of meals in minutes. Stir fry. Roasted veggies (cooking time is longer but you can play while that's happneing). Stews, soups and chili are super quick to prep if the vegetables are already chopped.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts and a lot of fish can go straight from the freezer to oven.

Crockpot meals might also be a good fit for you.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I love cooking and I remind myself that I'm doing something great for myself. That works for me, but maybe not for you.

Try cooking a lot of food like a big batch and freezing or storing them in the fridge for the rest of the week. Try some really easy recipes as well. You can also do salads and easily put together things that may not require "real" cooking but blending or food processing instead. Good luck!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Rigger

This.

As the quantity of food that I eat has decreased, the importance of quality food has increased. Most fast food tastes like crap. I like to cook, although I don't particularly think that cooking is fun. But then again, I don't think that showering, brushing my teeth or doing laundry is fun, either, but I like the results.

One of my strategies for eating healthy is to prep food for the week on Sunday nights. Chop up fresh veggies and grill some chicken and steak so I have ready-made ingredients to use throughout the week. It's really easy to combine some grilled chicken or steak with salad veggies for a quick, healthy meal. Cooking isn't hard or complicated, and it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes (probably the same amount of time that you drive and sit in the drive-through) to make a healthy dinner.
  • ellechim1
    ellechim1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My biggest motivator is watching those "Restaurant/Bar rescue" shows. They gross me out so bad and I never want to eat in public again. Hubby loves home cooking so he actually DVRs them LoL

*** Edited to add...I also turn on the music and dance with the dogs while cooking. They love it and I burn extra calories :)
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do it by making sure what I have at home requires me to cook something. If it has to be microwaves, I won't keep it around. So if I want to eat, then I have to cook. And I just refuse to do fast food so I either cook or starve! And when I do cook, I over cook so I have left overs alot that keep me occupied when I don't feel like cooking. (And I never starve, i love food...)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't. I tell my husband I'll have sex with him if he keeps cooking. Luckily, I like sex, and he likes cooking.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I actually really love to cook so I never need motivation.

I am busy though so I do a lot of make ahead meals/lunches- get yourself a crock pot. Best $20-80 you can spend. I make a lot of meals in the crock pot and then freeze them. Soups, stews, meat entrees, etc. Lets you control your sugar and sodium and really will save you a TON of money if you are regularly buying frozen dinners. I typically spend one Saturday a month working on freezer meals. Sounds like a lot but its worth it.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love cooking so I may not be much help here but I find that if I make a weekly meal plan using Pinterest and write it on a dry erase chart or whatever you want, and put it on the wall, then I get excited about every thing I'll get to eat... as long as I make it. Personally I hate "shortcut" food because it's nasty and I'm a major food snob. I wouldn't touch lean cuisine with a 10 foot pole.

Tonight I'm make slowcooked pot roast tacos with horseradish cream. Corn tortillas from scratch... that kinda deal. Sounds so yummy but if I want it I have to actually make it. Motivation enough for me.