Need diary advice- too much or not enough?

Options
Opening my diary so that hopefully someone can take a look and tell me wth is going on.

Background- I started WW 5 weeks ago and lost 5 pounds in the first few weeks. I started to really dislike the points system and was starving all the time and had zero energy.
Read through newbie threads on here and elsewhere on the internet and came to the conclusion I was likely not eating enough.

Last week I calculated my TDEE/BMR/Macros and adjusted the settings on MFP accordingly.

Weigh-in last Wednesday was good, 136.3 down from starting weight of 141.5. Overall loss for the week of .7lbs.

I'm 5'5", exercise 6x a week (cardio + strength- there is a sample of my strength training routine in my diary today, I usually do not log strength exercises). Wear a FitBit and my calculated daily burn on there is always 2200+, with 15-20k steps per day.

ANYWAYS, I stepped on the scale today and was 138.5. I want to freakin' scream!

Any, and all adviced appreciated.

(and yes, I weigh my food :P)

Editing to add: I have lost 2 inches off my navel measurement, but none elsewhere. The 2 inches are in the past two weeks.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Settings > Diary Settings > Public > Save Changes

Your diary doesn't appear to be open.

Keep in mind that weight loss is not linear. We are constantly storing and dropping water in our bodies for various reasons (hydration levels, exercise, carbs, sodium, hormones, etc.) The scale is going to fluctuate from day to day and week to week even when you are doing everything right.
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I did that- is it open now?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    5'5, 136 lbs so your pretty good weight currently.. your going to fluctuate but you calculated your TDEE, take a cut from that (10-20%) and eat that everyday, dont log your exercise calories (just use 1 calorie) that way your not given 1000+ more calories because its already factored in..

Do your routine eating that for a few and keep track of your weight... fluctuations will happen but your looking for a trend.. then adjust from there..

What is your goal? What are you looking to accomplish?

This doesn't happen overnight.... 2 weeks is a drip in the bucket.
  • mandamerlot
    Options
    5'5, 136 lbs so your pretty good weight currently.. your going to fluctuate but you calculated your TDEE, take a cut from that (10-20%) and eat that everyday, dont log your exercise calories (just use 1 calorie) that way your not given 1000+ more calories because its already factored in..

Do your routine eating that for a few and keep track of your weight... fluctuations will happen but your looking for a trend.. then adjust from there..

What is your goal? What are you looking to accomplish?

This doesn't happen overnight.... 2 weeks is a drip in the bucket.

My calorie goal for the day (1626) is my TDEE with a 20% cut. So don't eat above 1626?

I am not expecting instant results, but I also wasn't expecting to gain back 2 pounds in one week LOL...

Also, I have my FitBit synced to MFP at a negative calorie adjustment, so it usually only gives me less than 1/3 of my daily burn. I like knowing how many calories I'm burning when I exercise, I'm a wee bit tracker happy :laugh:
  • mandamerlot
    Options
    Goals are to get rid of my muffin top, bring my body fat % down from 26.6% to 20-22%, build lean muscle. Increased energy & increased strength.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What they saids- weight loss isn't linear. Your weight could fluctuate by 3 or so pounds each and every day.

Did you eat anything very salty?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You don't need such a large deficit when you only gave a little to lose. 10% off your TDEE is enough, then you just need to be patient!
  • mandamerlot
    Options
    I obviously am missing the point of caloric deficit... Deficit= weight loss?
    Yet, deficit= weight gain.

Should I weigh myself daily? I am trying not to be an obsessive with the number on the scale.
  • mandamerlot
    Options

Did you eat anything very salty?

My sodium was pretty high yesterday actually. But I drank a boatload of water as well, more than my usual intake.
  • mandamerlot
    Options
    bump?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I always gained a little after upping my calories, but it leveled out after a bit.

What activity modifier did you use to get your TDEE? If you used sedentary, then you would add your exercise calories to your daily intake. If you used anything else, your TDEE number includes those calories, so eating them back would put you over for the day. And I agree, a 20% is too aggressive for a small amount to lose. 10% should be fine. Focus on a progressive strength training program and give yourself some time.
  • mandamerlot
    Options

What activity modifier did you use to get your TDEE?

I used lightly active to get my current TDEE.
  • Appalachia7
    Appalachia7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am about like you - just a hair under 5'5" and my weight currently fluctuates from around 135-140 but mostly I'm in the 136-138 range. (But I'm 43). I can look good in clothes but really need to lose about 5 lbs around my middle / muffin top. I really would like to get where I'm fluctuating between 130-135 instead. I used to be in the 125-130 range but now that I'm older and I lift weights a lot more, I'm not sure that's feasible. My exercise and food diary is open. It's not always pretty though ;-) for me to lose the extra weight I know I'll need to be more vigilant about my diet and keep my exercise up. I am also not making fast progress. If I lost 2 inches around my waist though, I'd be ecstatic!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I obviously am missing the point of caloric deficit... Deficit= weight loss?
    Yet, deficit= weight gain.

Should I weigh myself daily? I am trying not to be an obsessive with the number on the scale.

In regards to this, yes, a calorie deficit = weight loss. Now with that in mind, it doesn't matter how much of a deficit you are in, your weight is still going to fluctuate due to water retention from workouts, salty foods, that time of month, etc. Not to mention it goes up and down whether or not you've had a bowel movement.

You're freaking out over a gain from seven days. I haven't looked at your diary, but a 2 pound gain is not significant enough to pass judgement on what foods you ate over the week. I can gain 2 pounds (or more) in 24 hours.
  • mandamerlot
    Options

You're freaking out over a gain from seven days. I haven't looked at your diary, but a 2 pound gain is not significant enough to pass judgement on what foods you ate over the week. I can gain 2 pounds (or more) in 24 hours.

Well, yes. I am slightly perturbed by a 2 pound gain over the span of the week considering I am killing myself at the gym and being very focused on my diet. I only have 10 pounds to go, and when I research and try to set myself up for success (as opposed to being another 1200 calorie diet gone wrong statistic), yet I am gaining weight as opposed to losing... Pretty sure anyone would feel the same way.