Nursing Student with Food Addiction

Options
2»

Replies

• tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to you, I hope you do find some counseling. For future reference, most people throw around the terms "sugar addiction" or "carb addiction" or "food addiction" and that's when you see a lot of sarcastic replies. If you truly do have disordered eating, I'm sure everyone here would be supportive of your efforts to battle that. Xo
  • Mommyunruhx2
    Mommyunruhx2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I come from a family of addicts I know I have an addictive personality i have stayed away from drugs and only drink once every 6 months because I know it is a slippery slope for me and I have seen it all destroy lives all around me, I am sorry but I truly believe addiction is in your genetic make up. That being said...my addiction is food. I hate it but I cant stop it. I want to so bad I just can't seem to break free. I get so angry at my family members for giving into their addiction of alcohol and drugs yet here I am giving in to mine. It is very hard because unlike drugs you need food to survive and in today's society the crappier options are also the cheaper and easier options. If you need to talk please message me I get it!
  • aft85
    aft85 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    what exactly are your food addictions? Is it specific things or everything?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    People are being a bit facetious because you used the word "addiction." Unless you have an actual eating disorder (I don't think you do), I doubt anybody here really thinks you need therapy. If you simply have trouble controlling your desire to eat, we all can help you keep on track. That is, when people stop treating it like an ongoing inside joke and actually offer sincere help.

I'm an RN too, I'll send you a request! :flowerforyou:

Well, that's presumptuous of you. I hope anyone with an addiction has the fortitude to seek some form of counseling or help to get them through it. If they don't think they need it, then perhaps they were being facetious by using the term "addiction" for something that isn't.

I was not being facetious in saying that I have an addiction, as my binge eating and the fact that food is always on the mind is very real. Whether people were serious or joking, I do know that I do need to seek some form of help, as I realize that a few major situations that I never worked through are probably underlying causes.

Binge Eating Disorder is a very real eating disorder, and disordered eating can often spiral into an ED. I agree with others that you should seek therapy or counseling for your addiction! Good luck! MFP can be either helpful or triggering for those with EDs, so I hope you fall into the former group!
  • aft85
    Options
    in my own experience, the eating disorder was considered by the doctor to be feeding (in every sense of that) a larger problem with depression. They seemed to feel the ed was easier to treat (or at least, had a shorter waiting list). It did not help. The sessions were frustrating, circular, and honestly i hated keeping the food diary. I just always felt really angry, like i was being blamed for not being more conventional, and pursuing academic interests instead of.... i don't even know what they thought i ought to have been doing instead.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    in my own experience, the eating disorder was considered by the doctor to be feeding (in every sense of that) a larger problem with depression. They seemed to feel the ed was easier to treat (or at least, had a shorter waiting list). It did not help. The sessions were frustrating, circular, and honestly i hated keeping the food diary. I just always felt really angry, like i was being blamed for not being more conventional, and pursuing academic interests instead of.... i don't even know what they thought i ought to have been doing instead.

I dont think they were blaming you. I think you were blaming yourself and projecting that onto others.
  • aft85
    Options
    perhaps, but doctors can be biased too, and shouldn't add to those problems you already have by specifically criticising that you do a postgraduate course.