Atkins Diet

Options
Hi everyone,

Need some input here.. I'm thinking about starting the Atkins diet .. I don't want to read the book, I just want a diet to follow or know what foods I can not eat in phase one and down the phases.. Can you help me out? Or have suggestions? I would GREATLY appreciate it :wink:

Replies

• kat239
    kat239 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you google phase 1 you should get a list of foods. It does work for a quick fix but that's about it. I could stay on it for a long time, I would rather count calories least this way you can eat all food types.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in the diet, read the book. What you'll find is that most people think they know how the Atkins diet works but don't really have a good grasp of it because they haven't read the book. For instance, most people know about the induction phase but they're pretty clueless as to what comes next, with many just assuming that induction is all there is to it. Rather than asking people who don't know what they're talking about to give you the Cliff's Notes version of the book... just read the book.
  • CaptnSasquatch
    Options
    Hello there. Really - like any other diet - it is about common sense which many of us do NOT have at times around food which is why we need a diet or food plan.

Atkins: My abbreviated version.

Phase 1 =20 carbs of protein and veggies. Do this "for real" for 2 weeks and you will lose 5-15 pounds (on average).

Phase 2 = 25-80 carbs of proteins, veggies and some fruit.

Why 25-80 carbs in Phase 2? Because different people (based on factors like metabolism and exercise level) are able to eat within that range of carbs and still lose weight. People are still able to lose 1-2 pounds per week on Phase 2 phase (on average).

Do phase 2 until you are near your goal weight. Then go to.....

Phase 3 60-125 (?) carbs per day where you are not gaining or losing weight. It is your maintenance level.

Yes, I've taken out a level - essentially I've combined Atkins 3 & 4 into my #3. But hey if you actually make it this far it is already working for you and you will be fine.

Drink lots of water
    Exercise for 1 hour 3 x week
    Eat lots of veggies (the are good for you!)
    Take the time to count your net carbohydrates.

Have fun
    Be easy on yourself
    Treat yourself with kindness and respect.
    Pay attention to the people who are nice to you. Appreciate them.

If you slip it just means that you are like 100% of everyone else - then get back on that horse. I hope Atkins (or some version of it) works for you. I have found that my outline above works really well for me when other plans did not.

Peace and blessings,

John
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Atkins has an app that does all of that for you.

You can also get a free "kit" in the mail that will explain it all to you.

In all honesty, I tried it and felt okay. In fact, I took some things from it to apply to my own eating style. I simply couldn't do the no chocolate thing. The deprivation aspect of it is ridiculous. I will eat what I like in moderation and strive for high protein, moderate fat and lowER carbs....but maybe not that low.