is this normal?

Options
ok before i say anything, i know people are against weighing every day but i find it helpful....and this is not a post about gaining lol,

i weigh mysel every day, mostly because im on the wii fit. i seem to be having big changes every day, sometimes over a pound lost. is this normal? i understand i have alot of weight to lose and that i will lose faster, but this seems alot. it never realy goes up either. i lose every day. i am eating atleast 1400 cals a day and try to exercise 30 mins a day and most days i dip into the exercise calories.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    if you've only been doing this for less than a couple weeks, then I wouldn't say it's abnormal. Just don't get used to it! It'll slow down eventually.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    if you've only been doing this for less than a couple weeks, then I wouldn't say it's abnormal. Just don't get used to it! It'll slow down eventually.

This^^ Good luck and don't get disappointed when it slows.
  • cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    its been about 6 weeks, but in that time ive slipped a bit. so its not always a large amount, but its always something which is nice. i wont get used to it because i know it will slow down.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I have found Wiifit scales to be very variable - added to which, the only convenient place for me to use mine is on carpet - should be on hard floor to improve accuracy. I decided to switch to a traditional scales which I use once a week. I occasionally cheat with an interim weigh but don't log it regardless of whether it's up or down - the only one that counts is the reading on my weigh day :smile:

EAT - congrats on your good work so far!
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single morning for the most part (no clothes, before consuming anything), but I tend to be an extremeist when it comes to routine Lol. If the ups and downs cause you stress, it would be best to not weigh as often. It is very normal to fluctuate a couple of pounds in either direction, especailly in the beginning of a diet or when you increase your activity especially stregnth training and also if you have a high soium day. I like to watch the trends, and it can help with accountability. I picked one day a week that would be the day I log my weight every week, and I take my measurements every couple of weeks or so to really see where I am.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have found Wiifit scales to be very variable - added to which, the only convenient place for me to use mine is on carpet - should be on hard floor to improve accuracy. I decided to switch to a traditional scales which I use once a week. I occasionally cheat with an interim weigh but don't log it regardless of whether it's up or down - the only one that counts is the reading on my weigh day :smile:

EAT - congrats on your good work so far!
    Yes, do not weigh on carpet! I found out that it shows you're way less when I moved mine out of the bathroom and into my bedroom that has carpet to weigh my bike.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes it absolutely is normal, even seeing up to 2-3lb changes in the course of a day or of a couple of days. Mostly it's water weight and the weight of the contents of your digestive system, so your weight goes up after you eat and down after using the bathroom. Sweating makes it go down, drinking water makes it go up.

other systems in your body, such as glycogen storage and sodium balance can change the amount of water in your body at any one time.

Fat loss happens slowly, 1-2lb a week is about the most anyone's going to burn, and in you only have a few lb left to lose, it's more like 0.5-1lb fat lost per week. Any weight gains/losses that are more sudden and bigger than are water, not fat. So it's not worth worrying about. If you're just interestedly observing and not stressing, and you're looking for the long term trend then nothing wrong with that. But anyone who's stressing about day to day or within day weight changes I'd advise them to put the scales away and get them out just once a week, and weigh themselves in the same situation, e.g. before breakfast, after using the bathroom, on the same day each week, and focusing on the long term trend not the day to day changes.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

This^^ Good luck and don't get disappointed when it slows.

This^^
  • bwats33
    bwats33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I play two hours of basketball every Monday and I see a 3-4 lb difference almost every week between Sunday and Monday. It's almost all water weight, so the trend line over weeks is what you want to look at.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    my weight goes up and down by 5lbs at any given day. so if you are checking your weight everyday you will see some crazy numbers.

when I get back from my run I just for fun step on the scale and it say I'm 6lbs lower than my normal weight. then the next morning i'm back to my normal weight. so I step on the scale when i'm there but only log once a week. it will drive you nuts keeping track of all the fluctuations.