broccoli help

Options
maryjay52
maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
i need to spice up using broccoli for somethign more than just steamed broccoli. what do you do with your broccoli besides just steam it?

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Steam it and top it with toasted chopped cashews and a dollop of almond butter; oven roasted with garlic-chive butter and cracked pepper; make broccoli soup with half and half instead of cream, with a touch of chopped bacon; serve it raw with ranch dip.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    http://www.recipebyphoto.com/broccoli-cheese-bites/

http://domesticfits.com/2012/10/10/broccomole/

Mostly I just chop it up and throw it in whatever I'm making. We have broccoli a lot.
  • 3mtntops
    3mtntops Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I made a replacement for Green Bean Thanksgiving Casserole.
    Its low carb and tastes great.

Darren's low carb broccoli Casserole.
    Boil broccoli for 9 minutes and drain vegetables.Grease Casserole dish and pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
    Mix vegetables with 1 bottle of Classico Alfredo Sauce and spoon into dish.
    Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese evenly over top and bake.
    Serve steaming hot.
    Afterwards and refrigerate because it makes great leftovers cut into 4x4 squares.
    Just pop into microwave for 2 minutes.

For a variation on Shepherds Pie just pre-cook 2 lbs of hamburger and spread in dish before spooning in broccoli mix.
    For a Southwestern taste season with Taco seasoning and crushed red peppers. Everyone loves it and it goes fast.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have been roasting it in the oven. mix broccali with a little oil, season w/salt/pepper or cajun seasoning. Put in oven at about 400. Check after about 10 mins and turn over. Take out after about 10 more mins. I don't really check times but check the food instead.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    roasted with herbs
    or brocolli salad with apples,raisins,water chestnuts,sunflower seeds and some vegenaise&sugar for the dressing
  • Spadhnik
    Spadhnik Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli . I use it a lot in stir fry, pasta. I also make broccoli pulao rice. Sometimes I microwave it for 3 / 4 mins then add salt n pepper as per taste
  • georgiefear
    georgiefear Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice does amazing things to broccoli!
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I put a little ranch dressing on it not swimming in it though. Also a brocolli, apple, raisin and chopped celery salad with a little ranch dressing is also good. Most of the time I just eat it steamed with the ranch dressing.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    Butter and salt! Yum!!
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is one of my faves.

I also roast it with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and parm cheese. SOOOO GOOD!
  • Allyvegan
    Allyvegan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with some already said here-roast at 425 with a little olive oil, s and p until a little crispy! You can also throw some whole cloves or sliced garlic in. Drizzle with Sriracha!

I also like to do the roasting method above, but with additional garlic, a can of chickpeas, and some vegetable broth (covered for most of the baking time). The broccoli gets creamy and then a little bit crispy from the uncovered baking time at the end.

Stir-fried with a szechwan or Chinese garlic sauce.
  • nangytime
    Options
    This is exactly what I do with my broccoli, or instead of cajun, i do a little bit of cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Yum!
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    This is not a "healthy" option, be warned!

Broccoli and cheese bake - I make it with heavily peppered bechamel sauce made with semi-skimmed milk, whatever good cheese I have to hand, plenty of broccoli, garlic and onions/shallots. You can throw in some bacon if you're feeling indulgent, or you can use asparagus too - done that before :)

I presteam the broccoli then throw it in a pyrex or ceramic dish with the rest of the ingredients and mix well. I bake it at 160-180 degrees until it's bubbling.

I usually have this as a whole meal. It's not as bad as it seems calorie-wise if you use just enough white sauce to coat the veg and a good strong cheese to flavour, e.g extra strong cheddar, particularly ripe brie or parmesan because then less is more.

Last time I made this it was part of a meal, and it was about 450cals - it made up over half of it, and the rest I ate was side salad and ryvitas.
  • malyce86
    malyce86 Posts: 28
    Options
    I second (or third?) roasting it with olive oil & spices. It keeps it crunchier. Also, I use it in place of pasta/rice in my seafood dishes (Ex. Shrimp scampi w/ broccoli - you can go heavier on the yummy sauce if you don't waste cals on noodles!)
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli. I love mushrooms. I LOVE broccoli and mushrooms roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper. :happy:
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I usually have broccoli in stirfry dishes. You can add other veggies and meat to it, as well.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I always just steam mine too, now I have more ideas, thanks OP
  • lenchmob
    lenchmob Posts: 49
    Options
    I know I am not helping your broccoli dilemma OP, but I just wanted to proclaim my love of broccoli.

Oh Broccoli how I love you, If I could choose only one vegetable to eat for the rest of my life it would be you.

brocolli-featured-image-760x200.jpg
  • jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli . I use it a lot in stir fry, pasta. I also make broccoli pulao rice. Sometimes I microwave it for 3 / 4 mins then add salt n pepper as per taste
    What is broccoli pulao rice?
  • jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I am going to the grocery store to buy broccoli :laugh: