http://iifym.com do I eat back exercise calories?

Options
I'm under the understanding that the bottom line is that my minimum daily calories to lose weight have already taken my exercise into account, am I correct?

I'm 5' 2" and 170 lbs. Looking to lose a pound a week and exercising 4 days a week. My calories were calculated at 1702 and I've changed MFP goals to reflect those from http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/. MFP had me at 1220 and I've been doing that for 2 weeks and just can't live on that, especially since one Zumba class burns between 600-700 calories per 60 minute session.

Just wanted to make sure I am not supposed to come up with another 600 calories today. I have just enough left for my post work out snack.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm under the understanding that the bottom line is that my minimum daily calories to lose weight have already taken my exercise into account, am I correct?

Yep you've got it.
  • commtry
    commtry Posts: 20
    Options

I'm 5' 2" and 170 lbs. Looking to lose a pound a week and exercising 4 days a week. My calories were calculated at 1702 and I've changed MFP goals to reflect those from http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/. MFP had me at 1220 and I've been doing that for 2 weeks and just can't live on that, especially since one Zumba class burns between 600-700 calories per 60 minute session.

Just wanted to make sure I am not supposed to come up with another 600 calories today. I have just enough left for my post work out snack.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, so the zumba calories burned are added to your calorie bank. The bottom I believe is how many calories you could still take in. and yes it would take in ur exercise in account(you should see the calculation, just before the very bottom)

Just be a bit careful, i'm not sure if you'd actually be burning 600 calories in a zumba class. i guess that would depend on the cmplexity of it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options

Yep you've got it.

Not sure if I am misunderstanding the question - but no it isn't.

Your MFP daily calorie allowance does not take into account exercise - if you exercise and burn off x amount of calories, you are supposed to eat back those additional calories.
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, so the zumba calories burned are added to your calorie bank. The bottom I believe is how many calories you could still take in. and yes it would take in ur exercise in account(you should see the calculation, just before the very bottom)

Just be a bit careful, i'm not sure if you'd actually be burning 600 calories in a zumba class. i guess that would depend on the cmplexity of it.

I wear an HRM during all my workouts and that's how I calculate my calorie burn during exercise. It may be a bit high, but should be more accurate than any other number floating around out there as I can customize my HRM with my height, weight, age and sex. Tonight's Zumba burned 689 calories in just over an hour. Also, I am no longer using MFP's caloric intake as a suggestion. It had me at 1220 with 4 days of exercise for an hour each time. Those days I simply couldn't function on 1220 and an hour of Zumba. I know that if I had stayed with their suggestion I would eat back the exercise calories.

Thank you all for your replies!
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Yep you've got it.

Well I thought so but with so much debate around eating back exercise calories I thought I'd better ask! LOL Even I was starting to wonder what the real deal was. Thanks!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Yep you've got it.

Not sure if I am misunderstanding the question - but no it isn't.

Your MFP daily calorie allowance does not take into account exercise - if you exercise and burn off x amount of calories, you are supposed to eat back those additional calories.

She changed her calorie goal on MFP to reflect what she found on iifym.com.

The IIFYM calculator does take into account exercise calories.