How do people who don't count calories lose weight??

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    For me, I do not believe in Calories, they're just a form of something to stress me out more. I'd rather eat as much veggies as I want, without worrying about calories cause I know it's healthy, natural, and good for my body. Now, if it was something like cereal or oats or pasta's which I do not eat, cause I blow up like a balloon. I don't care about calories.
    I did a diet a a year ago called Plant Strong, were all I ate were things that were grown from the ground, and I ate as much as I want, and lost 60 pounds within 6 months, but fell off that wagon, but only gained back 20 pounds. I never weighed my food, because I find it very weird, and like I said I don't believe in calories, however I do believe in sugar.
    I'm trying to get back on the band wagon with Plant Strong again, cause it was the best diet that worked for me.

what is weird about weighing food?

you lost because you only ate vegetables and what not which are less calorie dense, so you were in a calorie deficit and lost weight…

oh, and calories are real, they are very real...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Actually, there's a LOT of anecdotal evidence that a mainly plant based diet works to balance out the body. The main thing (in my HBMO=Humble Big Mouth Opinion) is that it's got to do with the fiber. Rather then knocking lots of fiber, lets really look at it. Peeps who eat more fiber just NATURALLY flush more fat and sugar then peeps who eat less fiber. I don't know if there is a tit-for-tat kind of number that can be given, from scientific research, but common sense tells me that someone who fills up on vegetables, and other plant foods, is going to weight less then the person who eats other foods that aren't terribly digestible (like meat.......it literally takes 7-10 days, for meat to move it's way through the digestive system.......fermenting that whole time..............arwk.) Fiber also FILLS you up, faster then other food (with less fiber). There's some who would say that the sugar content in a potato is the same as the sugar content in a bowl of ice cream, BUT, there's one vitally important difference and that's fiber. But don't take my word for it, here's an article that spells out the benefits of a high fiber diet.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/11/25/9-fiber-health-benefits.aspx
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/

And then, for those of you who still aren't convinced, here's a study from Harvard University.
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fiber-full-story/

and here is study that says source of sugar does not matter…
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/62/1/212S.short

do what you want, but don't come in here with the high and mighty premise that your plant based diet is somehow superior to what the rest of us are doing…

your body naturally "flushes" regardless of fiber intake…

and anecdotal is not fact.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Just because they don't count doesn't mean they're not in a deficit. Some people are good at eating when they're hungry, and stopping when they're full, don't snack very much, and enjoy a wide variety of vegetables. Add all those traits together, you're going to get a person who is naturally slim and doesn't struggle with weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    bunch of my friends eat whatever they want and probably go over their macros but they don't gain. I'm just confused... How?

They don't go over their TDEE.
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i lost my first 30 without tracking, just being conscious of the types of food i ate, and I added workouts. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I do track now that I'm getting closer to my goal and the weight is coming off slower.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Simple..They are freaks of nature.

Nope, not a freak of nature. Lots of people do it, myself included. Got rid of all the preggo weight with both kids by eating less and moving more.

In fact, before I started bulking and counting calories I thought you guys were weird. HA!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I know, you tell your view, I tell you my view. It's something I want to do, so leave it be.

it's not like our view is right. it just is. calories exist whether you believe in them or not.

I've said I know they exist, I just choose not to. I don't care about caring about them.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • yuuen
    yuuen Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't think I want to count calories for the rest of my life. Be conscious of them, yes. But count every last one? Eeehhh. I figure when I get down to maintaining, I'll probably just estimate portions.
  • LunaZuriel
    LunaZuriel Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Actually, there's a LOT of anecdotal evidence that a mainly plant based diet works to balance out the body. The main thing (in my HBMO=Humble Big Mouth Opinion) is that it's got to do with the fiber. Rather then knocking lots of fiber, lets really look at it. Peeps who eat more fiber just NATURALLY flush more fat and sugar then peeps who eat less fiber. I don't know if there is a tit-for-tat kind of number that can be given, from scientific research, but common sense tells me that someone who fills up on vegetables, and other plant foods, is going to weight less then the person who eats other foods that aren't terribly digestible (like meat.......it literally takes 7-10 days, for meat to move it's way through the digestive system.......fermenting that whole time..............arwk.) Fiber also FILLS you up, faster then other food (with less fiber). There's some who would say that the sugar content in a potato is the same as the sugar content in a bowl of ice cream, BUT, there's one vitally important difference and that's fiber. But don't take my word for it, here's an article that spells out the benefits of a high fiber diet.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/11/25/9-fiber-health-benefits.aspx

And then, for those of you who still aren't convinced, here's a study from Harvard University.

and here is study that says source of sugar does not matter…
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/62/1/212S.short

do what you want, but don't come in here with the high and mighty premise that your plant based diet is somehow superior to what the rest of us are doing…

your body naturally "flushes" regardless of fiber intake…

and anecdotal is not fact.

I wasn't saying that what I was doing was superior. Merely explaining what I do, at the topic at hand, because the girl wanted to know.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    bunch of my friends eat whatever they want and probably go over their macros but they don't gain. I'm just confused... How?
    They don't go over their TDEE.

QFT
  • LunaZuriel
    Options
    Simple..They are freaks of nature.

Nope, not a freak of nature. Lots of people do it, myself included. Got rid of all the preggo weight with both kids by eating less and moving more.

In fact, before I started bulking and counting calories I thought you guys were weird. HA!

*High fives you* Seriously don't understand why people have to be harsh to someone else, cause they do something different. I don't care about what others do to lose weight, as long as they are happy, and it works for them is all I am happy about. I'm not going to attack someone just because of little things you know?
    Now I remember why I stopped posting on forums -.-
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I've said I know they exist, I just choose not to. I don't care about caring about them.

:huh:

Ooooh kay, good luck with that.
  • LunaZuriel
    Options

:huh:

Ooooh kay, good luck with that.

Thank you! ^_^
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

I remember the first time I lost 20 lbs without counting calories, I moved to a small Caribbean island for 5 years, and ate mostly local foods, tropical fruits, more veggies, lots of fresh fish, and since we didn't have a car, we walked everywhere. Its volcanic as well, so there were tons of hills and I dropped that weight without even trying.

When I moved back to the States, I gained it all back, but now I've been able to lose it again. The difference is now I have knowledge of what I eat, what I burn, and what I maintain on. That knowledge is power to me. Without knowing that, I would continue to gain and lose and not understand why. But I now have the tools to control my weight.

I also agree with the post above. I notice that when my fiber count is low, I get bloated and don't "go" nearly enough. When I improve my diet and include more veggies and fruits, everything flows much better and weight loss is easier.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't think I want to count calories for the rest of my life. Be conscious of them, yes. But count every last one? Eeehhh. I figure when I get down to maintaining, I'll probably just estimate portions.

This is pretty much what I do. Calorie counting is a great tool to educate yourself about portion sizes and calorie amounts but eventually you will be able to estimate correct portion sizes without weighing and counting. When I started running a year and a half ago I was surprised that I didn't lose any fat ( wasn't overweight but really wanted to tone up). So after a year or so I went to a trainer and he said I had to count calories, fats, carbs, protein etc etc if I wanted to lose fat and gain muscle. So thats what I started doing. Foure months later I now know that a 375g packet of scotch finger biscuits which I easily used to eat in a day is around 1838 calories and that an hour of running only burns around 250 calories (for me). So no wonder I didn't lose weight after I started running!

My diet has completely changed and I now no longer bother to count every calorie because I manage my portion sizes, limit processed foods and alcohol, excersise a lot and stop eating when I feel full. I still have treats and nights out with friends and family but am generally more aware of what I put into my body and the calorie value of excersise.

However I do know lots of people who seem to be able to eat and drink whatever they want and not put on weight while not excersising but I can only assume they have really fast metabolisms. I actually had a work colleague who ate meat pies, sausage rolls, cake and biscuits all day long - morning tea, lunch and afternoon smoko - every single day. And he was skinny as. He was a smoker though so that could have been it.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    It's actually easier, not healthier, for me when I don't count calories. I lose weight really quickly. I don't focus so much on food and when I don't know that I have surplus calories I don't think I need to eat to hit my calorie goal. I know that sounds weird but it's just so. When you stop eating the hunger goes away. I am counting calories now to lose in a slow and controlled manor and I think I am actually eating a lot more than I normally do when trying to lose weight.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Seriously. This baffles me. I know people can eat healthily, like lots of veggies and lean meats and stuff, and that is probably why they lose weight without counting, but... what if they go over? Under? How do they not worry about counting calories? A bunch of my friends eat whatever they want and probably go over their macros but they don't gain. I'm just confused... How?

You know what? They probably do gain some and then lose some then gain some but it is probably just not noticeable. I think it takes a long time to put on enough weight that would cause another person to notice it.

And I think being women, we have totally warped views of our own bodies and think that if we have that extra bowl of ice cream it will show on our thighs the next day.

How do they not worry about counting calories? They simply don't care and are happy with who they are and what they look like. And probably have other things in their lives they do worry about :smile:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I know, you tell your view, I tell you my view. It's something I want to do, so leave it be.

it's not like our view is right. it just is. calories exist whether you believe in them or not.

How do you choose not to believe in something you know is real? Do you mean you don't believe in counting them? Because whatever, lots of people don't count calories and do fine. But not believing in something that does in fact exist is...well.

calories do not exist in the multiverse that she resides in ….what don't you understand about that?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    My most successful weight loss ever was when I did the Zone Diet and later the Dukan Diet. No counting calories but they are restrictive. Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't do either of those again (or I would modify them) but I have to admit, they worked, and I credit Dukan for helping me reverse my prediabetes and high triglycerides.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Fiber is good (within reason) - it is satiating and keeps your body working well (assuming you do not over-do it).

However, meat does not ferment in your system for a week. Fiber does not flush fat or sugar.

And mercola is a loon.