Is eating too little making me constipated?

Ever since I started dieting I have had problems going to the bathroom. Before I started counting calories I ate whatever I wanted, and went to the bathroom once a day or more. Recently, after starting counting calories, I have had to rely on laxatives and miralax every morning to help me go. I usually only eat around 1,200-1,500 calories a day. I am 6 feet tall and around 140 pounds. Could my diet be causing my constipation? I am active, and spend atleast an hour a day outside moving around! Thanks!

Replies

• BARBnKS
    BARBnKS Posts: 84 Member
    Sometimes I have the same problem but when I eat more fiber & drink more water it really helps.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Decreasing your food intake also decreases the need for your body to exhaust it from your body. I'd say that you're not so much constipated as you are reducing nourishment to your body. Laxatives usually provide massive sodium and other chemicals to make your body want to expel what's being absorbed by your upper and lower intestines. In your case, your body is trying to hold onto it as it's finding there's not a surplus in your tummy.

Don't take the laxatives; instead, up your calorie intake to more appropriate levels at height/weight proportions. At your height/weight, who said you needed to lose weight anyway?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Your bmi is already 19 you do not need to lose any weight. If your after a look you need to find the correct exercises to aid you. No matter what you should be eating a lot more. An 18 year old 6 ft man needs a lot more food otherwise you'll cause yourself long term health problems.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Just to add reading your post history I really think it would help you to see a medical professional as your relationship with Food is rather unhealthy. Proper structured advice from real people would be helpful I believe
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Please go to this link and find someone to talk to- you are hurting yourself.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Agreed. Go chat to someone as it's not sounding healthy
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    The exact same thing happens to me too! I recently lowered my calories from 2.2k to 1.8k and I barely poop at all! This first happened to me also when I started dieting, don't know what it is :|
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Less garbage in = less garbage out.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Most likely cause: vitamin deficiency.

Stop eating food = no vitamins/lack of vitamin adsorption.

No vitamins = body refuses to function as usual.

EDIT: Take care of yourself, OP. You only have one body.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Please go to this link and find someone to talk to- you are hurting yourself.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

^^ This x100.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    We see this topic quite a bit. One of the problems is often lack of fat - people start "eating healthy" and go low- or non-fat with everything. Fat doesn't make us fat, too many calories do.

Water, fiber, and fat all help keep things moving.

And I agree with the others, you should be eating more overall. Good luck. :smile:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Its probably because your a 6' tall male who is underweight and doesnt eat enough. Seek professional help.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Your bmi is already 19 you do not need to lose any weight. If your after a look you need to find the correct exercises to aid you. No matter what you should be eating a lot more. An 18 year old 6 ft man needs a lot more food otherwise you'll cause yourself long term health problems.
    You are constipated because your body needs MORE FOOD!
    Go see a professional before you do further harm to yourself!