Any TOFU recipes?

Options
conquertheself
conquertheself Posts: 91 Member
So I recently bought Tofu and I am hoping to add it to my healthy eating habits but I am clueless of what to add with it or how to eat it.

Does anyone have a great recipe to share?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!! :smile: :smile:

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Teriyaki Tofu

1 package (12 ounces) light firm tofu, draned and cut into 1"cubes
    2 whole green onions , finely chopped
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon minced ginger
    1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon hot sesame oil
    1 cup chopped broccoli
    2 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more to taste

Place a nonstick wok or skillet over high heat until it is hot enough for a spritz of water to sizzle on it . Briefly remove the pan from the heat to lightly mist with olive oil spray. Heat for 3 seconds. Add the tofu, green onions, garlic, ginger, olive oil, and sesame oil. Cook , stirring often for 3 minutes. Add the broccoli. Cook stirring frequently for about 12 minutes or until the tofu is browned on all sides. Stir in the teriyaki sauce. Season with pepper flakes. Cook for 30 to 60 seconds, or until the sauce thickens slightly.

Makes 2 servings
    Per Serving: 118 calories 13g protein 10g carbs 3g fat 2g fiber 597mg sodium
  • Shell_1384
    Shell_1384 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ooh! Glad you posted that. I just bought my first brick of tofu and don't know what to do with it yet. Trying to ween myself away from meat after watching numerous documentaries about factory farming...I'm disgusted with our species for how we treat animals.
  • conquertheself
    Options
    Teriyaki Tofu

1 package (12 ounces) light firm tofu, draned and cut into 1"cubes
    2 whole green onions , finely chopped
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon minced ginger
    1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon hot sesame oil
    1 cup chopped broccoli
    2 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more to taste

Place a nonstick wok or skillet over high heat until it is hot enough for a spritz of water to sizzle on it . Briefly remove the pan from the heat to lightly mist with olive oil spray. Heat for 3 seconds. Add the tofu, green onions, garlic, ginger, olive oil, and sesame oil. Cook , stirring often for 3 minutes. Add the broccoli. Cook stirring frequently for about 12 minutes or until the tofu is browned on all sides. Stir in the teriyaki sauce. Season with pepper flakes. Cook for 30 to 60 seconds, or until the sauce thickens slightly.

Makes 2 servings
    Per Serving: 118 calories 13g protein 10g carbs 3g fat 2g fiber 597mg sodium

Ouhh this sounds delicious and I have all the ingredients listed. Thanks a lot, I will try this tomorrow for lunch :D
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Options
    KkYdCh1.jpg
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I like baked tofu. Cut it into strips, marinate in your choice (I like tikka masala sauce a lot) lay on baking sheet and bake at 350. It takes about 25-45 minutes depending on your oven and how dried you'd like them. Mine are usually in for about 30-40 minutes. Flip them over halfway through. The smaller the tofu pieces, the shorter the time.

You can snack on them, add them to salads, or use in other recipes to replace meats.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Most tofu recipes are softness/firmness specific. (As indicated in "Ant's" recipe, which looks amazing, calls for firm tofu, not silken.
    What kind did you get?
  • conquertheself
    Options
    Most tofu recipes are softness/firmness specific. (As indicated in "Ant's" recipe, which looks amazing, calls for firm tofu, not silken.
    What kind did you get?

I actually got the firm kind, without knowing that there are different textures. Thanks for the heads up!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    This is my husband's favorite- he begs for it! Although I don't always do the coconut rice, sometimes just regular and if i don't have pineapple, oh well. ALWAYS use organic extra-firm tofu though. Much better texture and without the gmo soy! Trader Joe's has a really great extra-firm organic tofu. Firmness makes a HUGE difference! :wink:

BBQ Tofu with Pineapple & Coconut Rice

https://goodveg.squidoo.com/recipes/pepperoni-is-not-a-vegetable/bbq-tofu-with-pineapple-coconut-rice

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups coconut milk (almost all of a 13.5 ounce can)
    1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
    Red pepper flakes
    1 can pineapple chunks
    1/4 cup water
    Your favorite barbecue sauce
    1 package firm tofu, frozen and thawed
    2T olive oil
    INSTRUCTIONS

1. Make rice the way you usually do (on the stove or in a rice cooker) but with coconut milk instead of water or broth. I put 1 cup of basmati rice in my rice cooker with 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk, 1/4 cup water, and a few shakes of red pepper flakes. Cook rice until done (about 20 minutes), fluff, and set aside.
    2. While the rice is cooking, preheat your oven to 350*. Press the tofu several times to remove excess water. A clean dishtowel or paper towels work well for this. Place the tofu on a cutting board and press down from above with the towel until it seems most of the water is gone. Be careful to apply the right amount of force – too much pressure could cause the tofu to break and crumble.
    Cut the tofu into 1″ cubes and place in a large Ziploc bag or bowl. Add enough of your favorite barbecue sauce to coat the tofu, shake or stir to cover evenly. Let sit in your fridge for at least 20 minutes.
    3. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the BBQ-marinated tofu and saute for 5-10 minutes over medium-low heat, turning frequently.
    4. Place the sauteed tofu in a shallow pan and bake for 10 minutes. Turn after 10 minutes and bake for another 10. The tofu should be relatively crispy on the outside and softer on the inside.
    5. Open and drain the pineapple. Place a serving of coconut rice to a bowl or plate, and add equal parts BBQ tofu and pineapple.
    Put on some of your favorite music, pour yourself a drink you love, and enjoy!

Also follow our group, happy herbivores, for more awesome recipes and tips! :flowerforyou:
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't have the recipe and it's not a total tofu recipe, but I love tofu in my Jap Chae... nom nom nom! Thanks for the recipes though, I ought to start using tofu more often. :)
  • LDBianca
    LDBianca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite that I use all the time

Pan Fried Tofu and Awesome Hoisin Sauce

100-200 grams hard or extra firm tofu
    3 tsp vegetable oil
    1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce
    2 Tablespoons soy sauce
    2 Tablespoon sesame oil

1. Really press as much water out of the tofu as possible. I wrap mine in paper towels to get the initial moisture off of it then wrap it in paper towels again and weight it down with a cast iron skillet and leave it for 20 mins.
    2. While you wait, combine the Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl and set aside.
    3. After the tofu is dry, slice it 1/2 inch thick.
    4. Heat the vegetable oil in non stick pan and when it's hot place the slices of tofu in there. The tofu should sizzle when you put it in and don't let the tofu touch the other tofu in the pan.
    5. Leave the tofu alone! Don't touch it! Depending on your pan the first side should take between 4-6 minutes (i have one piece I use as a tester piece) When golden brown flip. The other side won't take as long to cook, about 2-3 minutes.
    6. When done place on plate and drizzle Hoisin Sauce over it.

I top mine with sliced scallions and white sesame seeds for a visual and flavorful experience :)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Here are two of my favorites for firm tofu:

TOFUNA

Baked Tofu
    Press a block of Lite Firm Tofu to remove as much water as possible. Cut into 4 "patties". Spray a baking sheet with EVOO. Mix together 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/2 tsp liquid smoke. Brush onto both sides of the patties, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Flip over and bake additional 15 minutes. When they are cooled, I roughly break them up and pulse them in my food processor. Put into a mixing bowl and add:

1 celery stalk, finely diced
    1/2 cup vegan mayo
    3 tablespoons dill pickle relish
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    salt & pepper to taste

Mix thoroughly and thoroughly enjoy!

AVOCADO TOFU SANDWICH

Baked Tofu (same prep as above recipe)

Avocado "mayo": Mash 1 avocado and combine with 1 T red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and parsley. Use this in place of mayo.

Serve in a pita with a slice of tomato.
  • Hannahlindele
    Options
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/mini-crustless-tofu-quiches.html

Honestly, this recipe is just like normal quiche! So tasty!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, if you are stir frying tofu, it helps to drain it well first. Put several paper towels on a plate, put the tofu on it and put another plate on top of it to gently squeeze it down. Let it sit like this for 10 minutes of so to soak out the extra moisture. It will help your tofu stay firmer when you cook it.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've found there's a huge difference in taste/texture between western and Japanese tofu. I prefer the Japanese style - it's like the chicken of the veggie world - it takes on any flavour you care to throw at it. I cook with Japanese recipes, plenty of which are online if you fancy that sort of thing. BTW, agedashi tofu is food of the gods.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    This is my husband's favorite- he begs for it! Although I don't always do the coconut rice, sometimes just regular and if i don't have pineapple, oh well. ALWAYS use organic extra-firm tofu though. Much better texture and without the gmo soy! Trader Joe's has a really great extra-firm organic tofu. Firmness makes a HUGE difference! :wink:

BBQ Tofu with Pineapple & Coconut Rice

https://goodveg.squidoo.com/recipes/pepperoni-is-not-a-vegetable/bbq-tofu-with-pineapple-coconut-rice

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups coconut milk (almost all of a 13.5 ounce can)
    1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
    Red pepper flakes
    1 can pineapple chunks
    1/4 cup water
    Your favorite barbecue sauce
    1 package firm tofu, frozen and thawed
    2T olive oil
    INSTRUCTIONS

1. Make rice the way you usually do (on the stove or in a rice cooker) but with coconut milk instead of water or broth. I put 1 cup of basmati rice in my rice cooker with 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk, 1/4 cup water, and a few shakes of red pepper flakes. Cook rice until done (about 20 minutes), fluff, and set aside.
    2. While the rice is cooking, preheat your oven to 350*. Press the tofu several times to remove excess water. A clean dishtowel or paper towels work well for this. Place the tofu on a cutting board and press down from above with the towel until it seems most of the water is gone. Be careful to apply the right amount of force – too much pressure could cause the tofu to break and crumble.
    Cut the tofu into 1″ cubes and place in a large Ziploc bag or bowl. Add enough of your favorite barbecue sauce to coat the tofu, shake or stir to cover evenly. Let sit in your fridge for at least 20 minutes.
    3. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the BBQ-marinated tofu and saute for 5-10 minutes over medium-low heat, turning frequently.
    4. Place the sauteed tofu in a shallow pan and bake for 10 minutes. Turn after 10 minutes and bake for another 10. The tofu should be relatively crispy on the outside and softer on the inside.
    5. Open and drain the pineapple. Place a serving of coconut rice to a bowl or plate, and add equal parts BBQ tofu and pineapple.
    Put on some of your favorite music, pour yourself a drink you love, and enjoy!

Also follow our group, happy herbivores, for more awesome recipes and tips! :flowerforyou:

This sounds amazingly delicious. I never thought to use coconut milk with rice. And I have BOTH in my cabinet. soooooo making this.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, if you are stir frying tofu, it helps to drain it well first. Put several paper towels on a plate, put the tofu on it and put another plate on top of it to gently squeeze it down. Let it sit like this for 10 minutes of so to soak out the extra moisture. It will help your tofu stay firmer when you cook it.

This. This. This. And more... This!

And this is my favorite thing to do with tofu:
    http://www.theppk.com/2009/10/tof-u-and-tof-me-scrambled-tofu-revisited/
  • 2BlkLabs2
    2BlkLabs2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is my most favorite recipe for cheesecake. Super easy and... TOFU!

http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/cheezecake/

Ingredients
    14 ounces silken tofu
    8 ounces Tofutti cream cheese
    ⅔ cup raw sugar
    ¾ tsp almond extract
    2 tbsp cornstarch

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare pie crust if you have not already done so. Place tofu and Tofutti in a blender and blend for 30 seconds. Stop, scrape the sides, and blend for another 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients and blend for 3 minutes, stopping periodically to scrape the sides. Once fully incorporated, pour into prepared pie crust and smooth top with a spatula. Bake 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and place somewhere away from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature (about 2-3 hours). Chill overnight or for at least 10 hours before serving.

For the blueberry topping pictured in the blog post photos, combine 1 cup frozen wild blueberries with 1/2 cup of water, 1 tbsp agave nectar, 1 tsp lemon zest, 2 tsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed into 2 tbsp of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Allow to thicken, stirring frequently. Turn off heat and allow the mixture to cool. Chill in the refrigerator until serving.

Nutritional Information

Serving Size: 1
    Servings Per Batch: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 151
    Fat 10.80g
    Carbohydrate 10.50g
    Dietary Fiber0.60g
    Sugars3.60g
    Protein3.90g
  • 2BlkLabs2
    Options
    I made a cinnamon, walnut, apple, tofu breakfast burrito. It was really good!
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I love the baking idea. It makes the tofu firm enough to stand up to a stir fry or curry without breaking apart.

I like making the tofu masala scramble from "Vegan Indian Cooking."

Basically you saute some Indian spices (cumin seeds and turmeric, I believe), then add chopped onions, then add crumbled tofu. Mix up and it's like fake eggs! She also adds a little pink Himalayan sea salt to give it that eggy, sulfuric taste. I make this and put it in a breakfast burrito, on aloo paratha, or on tortilla chips, sometimes with black beans. Mmm.
  • 2BlkLabs2
    Options
    I also marinated extra firm tofu in a Caribbean jerk/orange juice mixture and then baked it

(can you tell i love tofu?)

I have pictures of it on instagram if you wanna see