Replies

• ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you can freeze them~!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Saw this recipe yesterday or the day before on here.

Peel and chop 7-8 medium sized apples
    Place in slow cooker with 1/4 cup water, 3 tsp lemon juice, cinnamon and 1- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries.
    If using tart apples I would recommend adding sugar but you can wait until later to tell if it will need it.
    Cook on low for 6-8 hours, mashing with potato masher every couple hours.
    If you like a smooth applesauce you can blend it once done.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Do like I do with grapes. Freeze those puppies. First I would slice them up and freeze up the slices. Also, there are preserves, you can always do. Apple sause and so on.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Another option would be to dehydrate them, but that does tend to lead to a higher calorie snack, because all the sugars are still there in a smaller portion.
  • How about making and freezing applesauce .... Or maybe prepare some for apple pies, and then freeze them? Don't forget to leave a few out for snacking ... A friend and I just mix a little cinnamon in with some Splenda, and sprinkle that on slices of apple, or I love microwaving a couple tblsp of peanut butter, and dipping apple slices in that! With the apple and Splenda/cin idea ... You can also lay the slices in a pan and sprinkle with the mixture, add about a tblsp of water ... And then bake! If you like a quick and lower cal apple pie idea ... Just use the Splenda and Cinnamon (any other apple pie spices), enclose the spiced apples in sheet of Phyllo dough, and then bake.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, I steam the apples and then puree them into applesauce. Throw small containers in the freezer and use them for baking!
    Substitute applesauce for butter and oils in your recipes!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I just looked at a recipe today for Apple Chips ...

On top of 2 large cookie sheets use Parchment paper

Preheat Oven to 225 degrees

slice apples as paper thin as possible

Sprinkle lightly with Cinnamon/Splenda mix *I'd skip the sugar and just put some cinimon on it!*
    cook in oven for 1 hour
    Turn over and sprinkle lightly and cook for 1 more hour or until lightly browned

Store in zippered Sandwhich bag!

I'm trying it this weekend :D
  • skinnytayy
    Options
    I made some super yummy "baked" apples last night.

slice, core, and peel an apple. In a microwave safe dish, melt a tablespoon of butter and toss the apples in stirring to coat them all in butter then add some sweetener of choice and a little cinnamon and cook in the microwave for 3-5 minutes. Top with vanilla ice cream or redi whip .... If you split it with someone, its 77ish calories so not too bad to cure a sweet tooth! :)
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Grilled Apple & Swiss Cheese Sandwiches

2 slices whole wheat bread
    1 1/2 tsp olive oil
    1/2 cup apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
    1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Directions:
    Preheat a skillet over med heat. Lightly brush one side of each slice of bread with the olive oil. Place 1 slice of bread, olive oil side down (duh I know you all know this) into the skillet, and arrange the apple slices evenly over the top. Sprinkle the swiss cheese over the apple, then top with the remaining slice of bread, olive oil-side up. Cook until the bread is golden brown, flip, and cook until golden brown and the cheese has melted, 1 to 2 more minutes.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I posted the apple cranberry sauce recipe just recently but another thing is to make apple butter, which if you don't know doesn't contain butter, it is used like jelly... it would probably have to be canned though, if you're into that sort of thing. I know people who can a whole bunch and use for gift baskets during the holiday season.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've been chopping them up, sprinkling cinnamon on them and adding them to either plain yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    A group of friends and I use the harvest from one of their trees as an excuse to party..... in an apple-Bee?

We make an assembly line and peel, core and slice them for pies, then the next person briefly sautes them (a little butter) and dumps a pie's worth in a bowl. The next person adds spices then dumps them in a seal-a-meal bag, the last person cleans the glop and seals them.

And we all have pie filling ready to bake at a moment's notice (this year I just helped peel and slice.... I'm not sure I want a pie by myself....)