Need help with eating healthy and it costing too much :(

I am new to this whole healthy thing and I have been trying to fix good, home cooked meals for my husband and I (I have to buy my 5 year old son's food separate and he does not eat what we eat, he has texture aversion and chokes on a lot of food...). I have been trying to buy lean meat and the things for a meal for a week (my husband gets paid weekly and I get $100 for food)... and by the time I get all the things for it, and the things for my son, I am over and have to start cutting things we need and we just took on more bills so until my husband gets the raise he was promised, we have to keep this amount... any ideas?

My husband is also very picky (as am I) but the things I am fixing really isnt that big of deal but the lean meats, produce, fruits, veggies, etc. and I am tapped...

I really need tips/help/ideas on meals that are healthy, do not taste healthy (husband's issue) and that are not that expensive.

Replies

• hilousna08
    hilousna08 Posts: 14 Member
    I know healthy cost more in the store...will you be able to grow any veggies where you live?Sometimes there are community gardens that may be worth investigating...Frozen fruit and veggies are just as good as fresh...sometimes more so, because they are flash frozen after being picked when they are ripe, so they have all the nutrients. What a lot of folks do not know is that the fresh fruit and veggies in a store are picked early before being fully ripened, so are not as nutrient rich...
  • etscher
    etscher Posts: 41 Member
    As far as produce is concerned, try to shop for seasonal fruits/veggies. These will usually be a lot cheaper since they're in season. I also really like squash; it's pretty cheap and is healthy and filling. Two squashes (is that even the plural?) can easily feed two people, and you can top them just like you do with a sweet potato. Acorn and butternut are my favorite kinds of squash.

Potatoes are, of course, pretty cheap. Buy a bag of potatoes and figure out new ways to bake them, sauté them, or add them to soups. Soups are a great way to make a filling, light dinner. I keep rice and bouillon on hand to make a hearty soup. My personal favorite: summer squash, zucchini, onion, veggie broth, couscous and white beans. Simmer on the stove for 30 minutes, top with shredded, fresh parm and serve a salad on the side.

Look at different grocery stores around your home as well, some of them have bulk food sections, which can be a budget saver. Instead of buying small, prepackaged quantities of dry goods, buying in bulk is a cheaper option. You can do this with whole grains, beans, nuts, etc.

I know that you're on a budget, but if you see healthy food as a necessity, it becomes easier. I live by myself, but I managed to eat healthy working part time on minimum wage (multiple jobs, but I made it work). Do you have an Aldi or a Trader Joe's by you? They have a wonderful business model that saves you a lot of money.
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    no, we live in apartments and we cant do anything outside... I know there is a farmers market but Ive been told its not much cheaper if at all than the store. I do get frozen when I can as well especially with veggies.
    I know healthy cost more in the store...will you be able to grow any veggies where you live?Sometimes there are community gardens that may be worth investigating...Frozen fruit and veggies are just as good as fresh...sometimes more so, because they are flash frozen after being picked when they are ripe, so they have all the nutrients. What a lot of folks do not know is that the fresh fruit and veggies in a store are picked early before being fully ripened, so are not as nutrient rich...
  • socialdchic
    The biggest issue is my husband wont eat soup for a dinner, he doesnt want to eat healthy but i cant fix 3 meals so I have to find stuff that is healthy but doesnt seem like it if that makes sense? I have been doing roast potatoes and garlic mashed potatoes but the sides are not the issues, its the main meals (hubby also has to have a meat for it to be a meal lol)
    I dont think we have any of those, we live in a super tiny town. We have a walmart in the town over and a food lion and kroger but I think that is it.
    As far as produce is concerned, try to shop for seasonal fruits/veggies. These will usually be a lot cheaper since they're in season. I also really like squash; it's pretty cheap and is healthy and filling. Two squashes (is that even the plural?) can easily feed two people, and you can top them just like you do with a sweet potato. Acorn and butternut are my favorite kinds of squash.

Potatoes are, of course, pretty cheap. Buy a bag of potatoes and figure out new ways to bake them, sauté them, or add them to soups. Soups are a great way to make a filling, light dinner. I keep rice and bouillon on hand to make a hearty soup. My personal favorite: summer squash, zucchini, onion, veggie broth, couscous and white beans. Simmer on the stove for 30 minutes, top with shredded, fresh parm and serve a salad on the side.

Look at different grocery stores around your home as well, some of them have bulk food sections, which can be a budget saver. Instead of buying small, prepackaged quantities of dry goods, buying in bulk is a cheaper option. You can do this with whole grains, beans, nuts, etc.

I know that you're on a budget, but if you see healthy food as a necessity, it becomes easier. I live by myself, but I managed to eat healthy working part time on minimum wage (multiple jobs, but I made it work). Do you have an Aldi or a Trader Joe's by you? They have a wonderful business model that saves you a lot of money.
  • Sassymama66_75HARD
    Sassymama66_75HARD Posts: 91 Member
    There is a website - I am sorry I can't find it right now - something frugal.... try googling a bit. She does meal plans for really cheap. I'll try looking later and see if I can find it. I know it is so hard when you are trying to care for everyone else. Good luck!
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    I agree with etscher- Aldi and Trader Joe's are your best friends. Aldi's produce is close to expiration sometimes, but it's really cheap and you can always freeze it if you need to. I spend about 80-90% of my grocery budget at Aldi, and it usually comes up to be about 50% cheaper than shopping exclusively at Kroger. I was spending about $150-$180 per week at Kroger to feed my husband and I (we have one, maybe two meals per week that aren't made at home), and now I spend about $120 shopping at Aldi for produce/ staples and Kroger for weird stuff (think imitation meats/ meat replacement, Diet Arizona Tea, and lactose-free dairy).

I go to Trader Joe's every once in a while because they have hard-to-find ingredients for cheap. I love that store, though. I can't afford organic stuff, but theirs is the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

Another shopping trick: ethnic markets. There's a Japanese market in my city that has incredibly cheap produce (cheap everything, really), and good deals on bulk rice and seafood. We buy dumplings and sushi supplies there, but their produce is nothing to sneeze at. They also have rare items that you won't find elsewhere. We also have several Latin markets- I can think of three off the top of my head- that I plan to check out eventually.

You might want to check out budgetbytes.com for some ideas, but some of those recipes may need adjusting to fit your goals. Good luck!
  • socialdchic
    Sadly we do not have Aldi here.. we do apparently have a trader joe's (we are new to the area)...

thanks for the tips :) I will check them out
    I agree with etscher- Aldi and Trader Joe's are your best friends. Aldi's produce is close to expiration sometimes, but it's really cheap and you can always freeze it if you need to. I spend about 80-90% of my grocery budget at Aldi, and it usually comes up to be about 50% cheaper than shopping exclusively at Kroger. I was spending about $150-$180 per week at Kroger to feed my husband and I (we have one, maybe two meals per week that aren't made at home), and now I spend about $120 shopping at Aldi for produce/ staples and Kroger for weird stuff (think imitation meats/ meat replacement, Diet Arizona Tea, and lactose-free dairy).

I go to Trader Joe's every once in a while because they have hard-to-find ingredients for cheap. I love that store, though. I can't afford organic stuff, but theirs is the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

Another shopping trick: ethnic markets. There's a Japanese market in my city that has incredibly cheap produce (cheap everything, really), and good deals on bulk rice and seafood. We buy dumplings and sushi supplies there, but their produce is nothing to sneeze at. They also have rare items that you won't find elsewhere. We also have several Latin markets- I can think of three off the top of my head- that I plan to check out eventually.

You might want to check out budgetbytes.com for some ideas, but some of those recipes may need adjusting to fit your goals. Good luck!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    I gave up meat, not for weight loss just because. In winter I make casseroles and the boys can have lots of bread and potatoes to make it go further. I just eat the veggies. In summer they have salads I just reduced the amount of meat I gave them gradually and increased the amount of salad. This is partly for finance and partly because I became aware they were eating way too much to be healthy. I found local grocers are cheaper than the supermarket and I look out for short dated products at both. He only gets a steak if it was half price. He's unemployed at the moment so we have a tight budget too. I eat a lot of tuna, the home brand is $1 a tin.
  • etscher
    etscher Posts: 41 Member
    Your husband sounds really picky...if it were me, I'd tell him he can eat what you make or not eat at all! He might be surprised how many healthy things are really delicious when prepared correctly. I got my boyfriend to eat sweet potato risotto and steamed asparagus and he loved it! Healthy doesn't have to mean that it tastes bad.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Your husband sounds really picky...if it were me, I'd tell him he can eat what you make or not eat at all! He might be surprised how many healthy things are really delicious when prepared correctly. I got my boyfriend to eat sweet potato risotto and steamed asparagus and he loved it! Healthy doesn't have to mean that it tastes bad.

^^This really. But additionally, you could try to turn a few ingredients into more then one meal. Fix him Meat and potato, then cut it up for soup for you... etc.
  • socialdchic
    He is and he will go get fast food if he doesnt like what I fix which doesnt help with money so...
  • socialdchic
    thanks, ill check it out!
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Healthy food that doesn't taste healthy. Limited budget. Two types of meals, Picky husband. Good luck.

I would say look for cheaper cuts of meat. There's no need to eat lean meats all the time when you're tracking your intake. just keep the sat fat below 30 or so, and barring disease or malfunctions it's about eating a good amount of calories while being in a deficit. This and getting active with some type of basic exercise.

Whatever veggies possible and cheap carbs. Buy in bulk if you can. Rice and potatoes are cheap in bulk. baked potato fries and burgers is a staple of mine. If he can't eat a turkey burger or hamburger or salmon burger Portion control is your ally. Chicken thighs or legs are usually cheaper. Then google is your friend for recipes. I just ate canned salmon patties as burgers with bacon with lettuce and tomato. Tuna or canned or otherwise cheap chicken or other meat added to pack of knorr pasta mixes or tuna/chicken helper. Substitute or cut down the butter and milk if you need to. Nothing wrong with butter and milk other than portion control. If you're splitting it among 2 people you might want to keep it whole milk and butter if you're having trouble getting calories in.
  • Buy cheaper cuts of meat.

Turkey legs cost £2 for a giant one in the UK, brisket, mince, lamb breast and neck, to name a few.

Also does your supermarket have reduced sections for things that are about to go out of date? I pretty much live on reduced stuff.

God. One of those. My dad would only ever eat meat n veg. My mum has trained him to eat all sorts now! Indian, Chinese, Thai...I wouldn't put up with it. My fella gets what he's given. I live by "i have cooked it so you will eat it or starve".
    xx
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    I buy meats that have hit their shelf date. It doesn't mean they're expired; it's a "use or freeze by" date and some stores mark down to 30 or 40 percent. You might have to get there early though.
  • ppardee
    ppardee Posts: 3
    Whole chickens are usually dirt cheap. I can usually find them for $0.89/lb. They're pretty simple to break down:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKWZinnCaZw

You can use the carcass to make stock which doesn't need to be used for soup. You can add it to a lot of dishes to add flavor with almost no added calories. We feed 5 adults with $140 per week and we eat pretty well. Just stay away from the processed stuff and only buy what produce is in season. My goal is to average $1/lb (about 6 cents per oz) across your entire grocery run. In season, apples are less than $1/lb. Processed breakfast cereal, even generics, usually run up into the $2-4/lb range (13-27 cents per oz on the price tags.)

On the other side of things, you have a respect issue. If you and your husband agree to spend $100/week on food and he goes out to eat if he doesn't like what you make, he's violating that agreement. Ignoring the money, refusing to eat what you cook (assuming it's edible) is extremely disrespectful. Some men feel like they should be the king of the castle and their woman should be his servant if he is bringing home all the money, but that is an ignorant attitude. The stats bare it out. Married men make more than single or divorced men because having a partner to cover your inequities has real economic benefits.

The first step to fixing this is to talk it out. You need to bring this to his attention, and then come up with a solution to get you need to satisfy your goals without sacrificing his satisfaction with meals.

Split pea soup... I don't know how healthy it is, but that's some manly soup right there! Carrots, onions, celery, garlic, dried split peas and a big ol' hunk of ham bone or a couple of ham hocks. Serve that with some toasted french bread.... Now I'm hungry....
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    I am new to this whole healthy thing and I have been trying to fix good, home cooked meals for my husband and I (I have to buy my 5 year old son's food separate and he does not eat what we eat, he has texture aversion and chokes on a lot of food...). I have been trying to buy lean meat and the things for a meal for a week (my husband gets paid weekly and I get $100 for food)... and by the time I get all the things for it, and the things for my son, I am over and have to start cutting things we need and we just took on more bills so until my husband gets the raise he was promised, we have to keep this amount... any ideas?

My husband is also very picky (as am I) but the things I am fixing really isnt that big of deal but the lean meats, produce, fruits, veggies, etc. and I am tapped...

I really need tips/help/ideas on meals that are healthy, do not taste healthy (husband's issue) and that are not that expensive.

"My husband is also very picky"

A poor excuse. 'I want to eat healthy but dont want it to taste healthy'. Its like saying, I want to have a job but cant be bothered to look for one... or something like that.

Healthy food is not more expensive anyway. This is a myth. Besides, the reason why so many people get overweight is the portion size as much as the food they are eating.

Anyway, fruit and veg are not that expensive. Lean meat is a bit expensive but you dont have to eat that to lose weight. Why not do some exercise, then you can widen your scope to what you can eat - whether it be more expensive foods or not.....
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/ has really good recipes :) and some of them don't look or taste too healthy. It's not that there's only salad recipes on this website or something. Check it out :)
  • socialdchic
    Thanks, I actually was shown that by someone else before and enjoy some of them and they work well :)
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/ has really good recipes :) and some of them don't look or taste too healthy. It's not that there's only salad recipes on this website or something. Check it out :)