How much did you start out squating?

Options
13»

Replies

• tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The bar. For a long time; I started quite young and the trainers didn't want us to add weight for about 2 months. Very risk-averse gym :)
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The first time I squatted I was 13 in the 8th grade football combine. I was about 5'6'' 200lbs and chubby but I squatted 295lbs
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Body weight. I've gotten up to 95 with the smith machine, but i want to do full body ATG squats so I used a barbell and did 40 lbs safely.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Firstly I agree- decent form is better gained with lower weights, then work up to what you can manage with correct form on all your reps.
    This doesn't really tie in with the original question, and I'm sorry for jumping in; but my max is some-what stifled, and I have no idea the true amount I can squat. The squat rack is NEVER free, and the wait is sometimes 3 people, which frustrates me. So I currently squat 25kg, because that's the max I can Overhead press, to actually get it into position! Tips? I'm quite sure man-up and wait for the rack is the option....
    When I was using dumbbells, I would just let my arms hang down by my sides. It's not perfect for form of course, but it is doable.

Or, just wait for the rack... :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    every single person who lifts weights started with just the bar once upon a time.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    every single person who lifts weights started with just the bar once upon a time.

notsomuch...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

notsomuch...

so even before you EVER knew how to squat you loaded up? never learned form first?

mmhmmmm