Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

what am I doing wrong

13»

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    I lost that weight on the first few weeks, it came off quick, it works out at a pound a week which I am happy with but have had no loss for two weeks now.

I am going away in 10 weeks which is why I have that as a target!

OP:
    See the bold.
    It has only been two weeks. I suggest to wait it out another 2-4 weeks.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Other than the unhelpful comments of a few, I think many people have given good observations and advice. I only glanced quickly at a few days of your diary and I am probably going to repeat many of comments already posted but here is what I think:

How long do you think you have been "stuck"? This process gets slower after the first few weeks and I think you need to be patient. That said many of the suggestions given are right on the money.

Drink and keep track of water intake. Try eating more protein and reduce your starches/carbs a bit and get your sugars from fresh fruit but do not add sugar to your cereals etc. Eat healthy fats such as almonds and avocados but measure/weigh them as you have been doing. Cook your own dinners from fresh ingredients as often as possible, and don't add too much salt, or any if you can stand it. I almost never add salt; if a recipe calls for salt I use half of what is listed. Keep the salt shaker off the table.

I am not sure you are doing this but do not eat back all of your exercise calories, maybe eat about 1/2 back most of the time. I think many HRMs overestimate calories burned. I am pretty sure mine does so most of the time (about 5 days week) I eat back only a few calories, and I mean a few or none. Then once or twice a week I eat back more of them (100 or 200 of them for that day).

Last and kind of hard for me: Only drink water after dinner. Even if you plan for the calories/carbs/fats of a later snack and you are still on target for the day, I think eating anything within 3 hours of bed can affect your weight loss. I think many people would say it does not matter what time you eat but I was slowing down and stuck for a while. I then gave up my cup of decaf with creamer that I had been drinking in the evening because I like it. It was only 45 cals and a little fat/no sugar but that was the difference for me as I did everything else the same, and I was able to lose some more weight.

I think basically you are on the right track and can just make a few adjustments and it will start to happen for you. Feel free to friend me if you like, I love the support I get from many people in this site! Good Luck, you can do it!

I think it really becomes a bit of tinkering sometimes. You had good results cutting out eating and drinking before bed. I had good results adding a cup of black coffee before bed but I wasn't eating after dinner to begin with. I really notice the effects of drinking water with weight loss slowing if my water intake decreases. Dehydration alone can cause water retention. I noticed the OP is eating cereal with added sugar and while I would be tempted to say nix the sugar, I won't. However, a lower carb, high protein smoothie can be made for close to the same calories as her standard breakfast. Just an idea...
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Eat more protein, veggie, fruit, healthy fats like nuts, coconut oil and avocados. Plain greek yogurt is great way to get protein, add fresh fruit and a little honey or stevia, i like ground flax seeds in mine and they add fiber. Drink lots of water.
  • Might sound a tad obvious, but make sure you weigh yourself at the same time of day each time. I find my weight can fluctuate a couple of pounds or so during the day. I always weigh in first thing in the morning, and it works for me.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Its a shame that some people put so much energy into criticizing other people's advice rather than trying to help the OP with possible solutions.

OP don't get too disheartened - I bit the bullet & re assessed my cals in V cals out 2 weeks ago & have lost 3lb since then. I was convinced I was doing everything right too. After a few people 'picked holes' in my diary - I found the reason for my lack of weight loss. I wasn't doing anything hugely wrong - but what I did find, was enough to mean that my deficit was too low to allow me to loose on a weekly basis.

Good luck with your weight loss journey - You will get there;-)
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    I didn't read all the replys thus far, but at first glance it looks like your food choices are fine, but you may be overestimating your calorie burns on exercise. I do JM workouts as well, I have NEVER burned over 300 cals doing the shred. Some days you have well over 1000 extra calories in there from exercise, long walks aren't going to get you to that burn either. You have also been eating back all or more of those exercise calories. For me, 5'6", 177 lbs, I burn about 271 calories doing the shred for 20-30 mins I log it as circuit training as I know others here do as well. I would do a little more research about how much you are burning, get a fitbit or HRM to try to get a more accurate read, and maybe only eat half of those calories back if you're using MFP's numbers for weight loss. Good luck to you :)
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    One more thing, don't just go by the scale. I take pics and measure once a week, and THAT is the only thing that's kept me going. I see a difference each week, so I know what I'm doing is working. The scale is a fickle thing, I've only lost 11.2 lbs in over 3 months, but I'm down 2 sizes, and that's what really matters. No one sees that number but you! 30ds when done consistantly does not always result in a huge scale loss, but usually inch loss. Make sure you get enough protein to help maintain muscle as well :) Hope that helps.
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    someone may have said this already but when i did 30DS i lost a couple of pounds in the first few days and then no weight loss at all for three weeks. i was losing size though definitely. i'd recommend doing some measurements now and checking every week or so - it's amazing how much size you can lose without losing any weight!

good luck :)
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    I watch my sodium. You can change your settings to track it. But just a little bit of processed food and my sodium goes over and the scale won't budge. Try cutting down on anything processed for a few days and see what happens. Best of luck!
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    I drink between 4 & 6 litres of squash every day!

I am not much of a tea drinker - I just forget to add the water on

:)
    Even squash has calories, be it lime, strawberry, cherry, etc. Let's take a look at your lime squash. I could quickly find Tesco's nutri info so I'll use that. 100ml is 13cal. 1000ml to 1L. At 8 litres, you're downing over 1000 cal in squash a day. Take your 1200-1500 average cal listed in your diary and add another 1000. Try swapping out the squash for lower calorie drinks.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    I drink between 4 & 6 litres of squash every day!

I am not much of a tea drinker - I just forget to add the water on

:)
    Even squash has calories, be it lime, strawberry, cherry, etc. Let's take a look at your lime squash. I could quickly find Tesco's nutri info so I'll use that. 100ml is 13cal. 1000ml to 1L. At 8 litres, you're downing over 1000 cal in squash a day. Take your 1200-1500 average cal listed in your diary and add another 1000. Try swapping out the squash for lower calorie drinks.

I assume the OP is saying that she drinks 4 - 6 litres of DILUTED Squash, not 4-6 Litres of Concentrate.

Assuming she has 6 litres of diluted squash each day.
    Then assume that of that 6 litres 1/4 is concentrate and 3/4 is water (this is quite a strong mix so an over estimate if anything) - that means that in 1 day the OP drinks 1.5 litres of concentrate.

100ml of Robinsons sugar free orange concentrate = 8 cals (this is 100ml of concentrate - not 100ml on diluted drink)

1.5litres = 1500ml
    1500ml /100ml = 15
    15 x 8cal = 120 cals

OP is probably drinking 120 cals per day max. She would have to get through 1 & 1/2 bottles of concentrate a day to consume 120 cals a day - that would be a very strong mix.

OP would have to drink 12500ml of pure concentrate (thats 12 1/2 bottles a day) to consume 1000 cals of the stuff a day. Think you have misunderstood the drink or the math.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    OP would have to drink 12500ml of pure concentrate (thats 12 1/2 bottles a day) to consume 1000 cals of the stuff a day. Think you have misunderstood the drink or the math.
    Math
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    I would just echo some of what other people have said:
    - Weigh literally everything (ie not just '1 slice of bread' or '1 biscuit' but the actual weight to the gram)
    - Some of your exercise burns seem very high, maybe only eat back a portion of your exercise cals
    - If you have recently changed your exercise routine your muscles could be retaining water for repair
    - Weight loss isn't linear, I didn't lose for 6 weeks then lost 5lb in 2 weeks (slightly alarmingly) so you might just need to wait it out
  • Suebepinkydoo
    Suebepinkydoo Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks everyone or you input.

Re my drinks - I use 40ml of concentrated squash in a litre bottle :)

I will get there eventually.