Exercise for a beginner!!

Options
mearsy88
mearsy88 Posts: 87 Member
Well it's all in the title really. I have come to MFP all motivated for my journey to lose 90 lbs in total. I am a big person and have struggled with my weight since I was around 14 years old. Biggest I ever remember recording was 296lbs about 6 years ago. I did lose weight and got down to 218lbs... I lost 3stone by not eating a lot (which at the time I thought was a good idea) then the rest I did go to the gym.

Now I am back to 261lbs, (I did quit smoking) I am busy working 43 hours a week now, and I don't really have the confidence to go to a gym again just yet. This last week I have started to go out for 40min walks in the evening, but was wondering if there is anything else I could be doing at home. Again I'm a rather large lady so is there any DVDs suitable for me? Just something to start me off with to get my energy levels up, get me fitter to move on to some more intense workouts when I have lost some weight.

I'm up for any tips and advice.

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Check out Leslie Sansone. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/778695-have-you-had-results-with-leslie-sansone-dvds

Low impact exercise for beginners. Her voice drives me crazy but I can start getting into condition without hurting myself.
  • glamgrljess22
    glamgrljess22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I suggest Leslie Sansone as well (if you don't want to purchase the DVDs Youtube has a large selection). I'm only 12 pounds overweight and have done other dvds ie taebo, 30 day shred etc but when I still want to get in a good workout without killing myself I do Leslie's 2 mile series.
  • NessaR2011
    NessaR2011 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone is what I've been using for months. I love her upbeat personality and she's helped me lose so much weight. She has such a large range of videos too. The one I have been working on for a few months is her 4 mile fast walk. I burn over 500 calories with that one and boy so I sweat!
  • NessaR2011
    NessaR2011 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    And congrats for quitting smoking by the way!!!
  • mearsy88
    mearsy88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks, will definitely check this out. Just need something light to start off with.

Thanks! Just went cold turkey one day , when I wasn't feeling very well and decided that was the day I was going to quit smoking, that was 2 and a half hours ago!
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Walking is the easiest thing to do. I walk 25 minutes every morning 5 days a week. My thinking is, it's just walking. I can't use the excuse that I'm too tired or don't have time. I get up walk 12-13 minutes down the street and turn around and come back. I can't be too tired. That's my minimum.

These are my goals for evening: I walk 40 minutes in the evening 2 days a week. I do yoga 1 night a week and bootcamp another night a week. All these things add up.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Walking is great.

You can also start some strength training by doing body weight exercises a few times a week. Such as squats, bicep curls and such. You don't need weights or equipment. Water bottles or other household items will work. :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    who needs a gym?! get out in the beautiful nature and walk. I love walking, started out this way at 234lbs and still do it.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Good job with quitting smoking. Over time you lungs will start to feel better and it will be easier to exercise.

Walking outside is great for you. I use to do 2 miles a day when I was at my lowest. Look into 10 min workouts with resistance bands. They make you sore but if you can keep your muscle tone it is easier to lose weight.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks, will definitely check this out. Just need something light to start off with.

Thanks! Just went cold turkey one day , when I wasn't feeling very well and decided that was the day I was going to quit smoking, that was 2 and a half hours ago!

Well, I guess 2.5 hours is a start. Once you get past the first few days it should get easier. Today is as good a day as any to stop smoking!
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    LOL, I'm thinking you meant years instead of hours..? Either way, awesome job quitting smoking!

I'd like to also say Leslie Sansone. Her voice is SO annoying, but the workouts are great, and you can modify the movements to suit your ability. I started out with her because I needed something I could do with asthma, and I loved it.

If you are interested in running, the Couch to 2K program is supposed to be really great. There's an app for your phone available. I haven't tried it, but I've yet to see anyone give it a bad review!
  • PinkPanther318
    PinkPanther318 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have chronic pain and so when I started out I would stretch a little then walk around a track. If you do join a gym try to find one with a pool because that will be easier on your joints. I understand not wanting to join a gym but I did it because I was like I don't care what anyone thinks I am here to get healthy and I realize I am not the only heavier person there. I have also progressed to a class called piloxing which is just a kickboxing class with pilates. I recommend walking, stretching, anything slow to start with. Best wishes!
  • EveyRose
    EveyRose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been lookign for soemthign low impact that will work with my back issue as well as my asthma...thanks for your post since it got me a few anwers as well!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    My DH hated to workout and practically gains weight looking at food. We started out with walks and light weights at home for a couple years. Then we spent a year developing a routine doing a low weight/low cardio workout at the gym. This year he wants to work on getting buff/increase his endurance :smile: . He didn't develop a weight problem overnight and I sure didn't want to see my beloved kill himself losing it overnight either. I swear half of my effort goes into convincing him his body isn't the enemy! Slow and steady is always the best way IMHO. Find something that motivates you, interests you and START! My DH's motivation was to be as fit as I am so we could have more fun together. It's nice to be a positive influence on others. Any fitness goals you reach will affect those around you.
  • suzannegray60
    suzannegray60 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am a true beginner, I have medical issues and smoke for over 35 yrs. I was always the small girl, know I see my Mom when I look in the mirror. Had two C-sections both in an emergency issue, muscles were cut never be small or flat again, took a long time to realize this. So now want to be the best possible, my meds make me big, but believe I can lose weight and have more energy. Have started with mild stretching to get better muscle tone, with a slow walk once in awhile, to build to walking every day.
    Well enough about me, have alot of hope and faith in this, wish me luck!
  • slimjame
    slimjame Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at 271lbs and dove right into the exercise world simply because my boyfriend went out and purchased an elliptical. Like you, I was definitely not ready to face the gym. I'm still not ready to face the gym. Therefore I have adapted to exercises that can be done in my home. I recycle the same exercises over and over again. They are

1. Elliptical
    2. Leslie Sansone workouts (I have seen others recommend her & I couldn't agree more. Go to youtube and search for her. My favorite and the one that typically ends up being the most effective/efficient for me is the 2 mile video)
    3. Dance Dance Revolution or Just Dance (Regardless of the game system, both of these games can really have you dripping with sweat)
    4. Treadmill (one of my least favorite ways to exercise)
    5. Getting outside and walking around

Also a heart rate monitor is my best friend when it comes to losing weight. I have lost a lot more since getting a heart rate monitor and therefore highly recommend the purchase.

Just take your time and find at home exercises that work best for you. I've lost 88 out of my 141lbs that I want to lose, bringing me down to 182. You can do it !