BREAD ,CARBS...

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your inputs. I do not want to cut out carbs, i am just scared if i dont i will not reach my target. But i will stick to my eating plan. I have one from a dietician. But there's alot of carbs on, and most days i eat less than the amount i am allowed. I have lost, quicker in the beginning. Its slowing down know.... thinking i am getting really hard on myself. How big should my calorie deficit be everyday?
    Doesn't your eating plan from your dietician have a calorie goal? You need to decide if you are going to follow the plan or do it your own way.

Beware a dietician is likely to be working on TDEE calculations and not MFP eat back exercise cals method.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Personal anecdote:

Whenever I cut out bread/pasta/rice within 3 days my stomach bloat is gone and I will drop about 2-3lbs.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your inputs. I do not want to cut out carbs, i am just scared if i dont i will not reach my target. But i will stick to my eating plan. I have one from a dietician. But there's alot of carbs on, and most days i eat less than the amount i am allowed. I have lost, quicker in the beginning. Its slowing down know.... thinking i am getting really hard on myself. How big should my calorie deficit be everyday?

If you do not want to cut out carbs then don't. Eat in a deficit and you will lose weight just as fat.

Good luck
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    um....no food group should be off limits unless medically needed. Moderation is key. Don't deprive yourself. You will not be successful in the long run

Based on what research. Moderation works for some and doesn't work for others. Cutting back/out certain foods works for some and doesn't work for other.

OP - give stuff a try - either it will work or it won't (you don't know till you try something).
    Not research but would recommend having a read of this from the maintaining weight forum - it appears to me the majority of people who find the transition from weight loss to maintenance easy and successful are the ones who didn't exclude foods.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1122899-maintenance-survey?hl=maintenance+survey

Based on the fact this is a mainly calorie counting website - I would be surprised if a majority of people on here weren't losing based on moderation.

Not really scientific or necessarily reflective of the population as a whole.
  • sijomial
    Options
    um....no food group should be off limits unless medically needed. Moderation is key. Don't deprive yourself. You will not be successful in the long run

Based on what research. Moderation works for some and doesn't work for others. Cutting back/out certain foods works for some and doesn't work for other.

OP - give stuff a try - either it will work or it won't (you don't know till you try something).
    Not research but would recommend having a read of this from the maintaining weight forum - it appears to me the majority of people who find the transition from weight loss to maintenance easy and successful are the ones who didn't exclude foods.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1122899-maintenance-survey?hl=maintenance+survey

Based on the fact this is a mainly calorie counting website - I would be surprised if a majority of people on here weren't losing based on moderation.

You missed the first two words where I said "not research" ???

And as the audience is people on a calorie counting website then I feel the experience of people using a calorie counting website who have gone before them had success would seem to be appropriate and of interest? Too many people take a short term view and don't look beyond weight loss and their weight goal.

There will be some in that thread who had success by exclusion diets I'm sure, just a minority.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

And as the audience is people on a calorie counting website then I feel the experience of people using a calorie counting website who have gone before them had success would seem to be appropriate and of interest? Too many people take a short term view and don't look beyond weight loss and their weight goal.

There will be some in that thread who had success by exclusion diets I'm sure, just a minority.

I did notice your wording "not research" hence my wording "not scientific or necessarily reflective of the population as a whole".

To assume that someone will fail just because they are taking a different route to the end goal than you took is a little short sighted (sorry, politest way of putting it - I am not looking to be insulting).

The fact that there are people (even a minority) that will be losing weight eating a LCHF diet on a calorie counting website that mainly caters for IIFYM is testament that there are other successful ways of healthy weight loss/gain/maintenance.

I am sure that large proportion of the population losing weight will be doing it successfully whilst cutting out, what they would describe as nutritionally deficient foods, when other more nutritional alternatives are available. After all they are cutting a food group and not a macro nutrient.
  • sijomial
    Options

I did notice your wording "not research" hence my wording "not scientific or necessarily reflective of the population as a whole".

To assume that someone will fail just because they are taking a different route to the end goal than you took is a little short sighted (sorry, politest way of putting it - I am not looking to be insulting).

The fact that there are people (even a minority) that will be losing weight eating a LCHF diet on a calorie counting website that mainly caters for IIFYM is testament that there are other successful ways of healthy weight loss/gain/maintenance.

I am sure that large proportion of the population losing weight will be doing it successfully whilst cutting out, what they would describe as nutritionally deficient foods, when other more nutritional alternatives are available. After all they are cutting a food group and not a macro nutrient.
    Huh?
    You seem to be doing the written form of "listening to respond".

So you restate something already said for no real reason and now you are arguing with something I never stated because you make assumptions about what you think I'm assuming! Pushing your agenda much?
    Or don't you realise the part you bolded isn't my quote?

Read my post and you will see I'm offering information and not telling people what to do.
    I haven't even stated how I lost and now maintain my weight, only that I didn't exclude any foods.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Huh?
    You seem to be doing the written form of "listening to respond".

So you restate something already said for no real reason and now you are arguing with something I never stated because you make assumptions about what you think I'm assuming! Pushing your agenda much?
    Or don't you realise the part you bolded isn't my quote?

Read my post and you will see I'm offering information and not telling people what to do.
    I haven't even stated how I lost and now maintain my weight, only that I didn't exclude any foods.

My bad - apologies. :flowerforyou:

Also my only agenda is to push choice. Both work and both don't work - it depends on the person.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I cut it out and only miss it when I smell toast. That heavenly aroma...

It wasn't that hard for me once I got used to not having a sandwich every time I was hungry.
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I also cut out the "white" food - bread, rice, pasta, potatoes; after about 4 days, I did not crave any sweets either. For me that went hand in hand. I feel so much healthier too. I also use only TRUVIA for my coffee and cut out the sugar and sugar substitutes and I have to admit... I have a great memory now...LOL
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much bread or other "white" carbs, and don't crave them, and don't miss them at all. A couple slices of bread would eat up most of my carbs for the day, I'd rather eat more vegetables and fruit.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut it out completely.

Just try and mix it up, If you have say bread for toast, don't have it for lunch etc.... Well that's what I normally do!

I tend to not have too much bread anyway, as I do get that belly bloat... BUT it is all about CALORIES...

if bread works into your calories.. I say eat it. Why deprive yourself? Make food/things fit INTO your calories...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I cut out most grains simply because if I have them in the house I don't have enough self-control not to eat them. Like bread, if there's bread around I'll have hot buttered toast instead of a proper cooked meal because I'm lazy. And then I'll get some more, and I just haven't been able to practice moderation with it. Same with popcorn, saltines, cookies, and cheerios. If I don't buy them, then I have to cook something more filling if I'm hungry.

There's nothing wrong with eating them as part of a balanced diet and you absolutely can lose weight if you have the self control.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil... despite what certain diet purveyors may wish you to think.

If some of your favorite foods contain carbs you'd probably be well served coming up with a diet that allows you to eat some of them. Unless of course there is a medical reason otherwise (some people have one).

If quantity is an issue there are things that can be done around the house to re-inforce your willpower.

For example I tend to eat a bag of chips...regardless of size. And chip bags are generally pretty big. Solution.... buy less bags and then rebag the chips into appropriate serving sizes.

Now moving to whole grains rather than processed white... that is medically beneficial.
  • mcelledge
    mcelledge Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i actually have a similar problem. This last round of weight loss i started with low carb - i cut pastas, starches and of course the bread! I love bread!!!!!!! I've slipped back into a little bread occasionally but try to keep the carbs very low on other foods. I want to get back to balancing my diet. following the food pyramid or now the my plate USDA suggestions.
    Healthy eating is what will sustain all of us.
  • Loz220662
    Loz220662 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Get a bread maker & make your own, tastes much better, apparently it's lower in Calories due to less fat & sugars to keep it fresh on the shelves longer. As you only make small loaves it last long enough to make another loaf the next day. If you're clever you can put a delay on the start & cook over night so you have fresh bread every morning.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Also my only agenda is to push choice. Both work and both don't work - it depends on the person.
    No problem - think we are both on the side of giving information and sharing experience so people can make informed choices.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    No problem - think we are both on the side of giving information and sharing experience so people can make informed choices.

:smile:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I haven't had bread since July. I'm okay with that. I eat keto-style and I love it.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I limit my carbs to 100-150g a day. I love bagels, but I make sure I work for it.