Bikram Yoga & Weight ...gain?

Options
Hi guys!

I am looking to see if anyone can relate to the idea of gaining weight while doing hot yoga (aka Bikram Yoga).

Long story short, this is the first time I've taken a yoga class seriously (last time was in college for a semester and that was, oh jeeze, 7 years ago). Last month I did it once a week, and now I am going twice. In between I tend to hit the gym so my work out totals to around 3-4x a week.

For intake, I was following Weight Watchers since February, didn't see any weight loss (balance between gaining and losing 2-3 pounds), and just recently stopped. I am now focusing on a clean diet (with *occasional* quick meals when I cannot cook). I drink 3 bottles of water a day plus diet iced tea - no soda. To mix things up, I'll drink skim milk or the 50 calorie a serving OJ. Pretty good stuff, in my opinion.

I got on the scale today and saw a 2+ gain on top of my 2-3+ normal fluctuation gain. FRUSTRATING!!!

I won't lie, my engagement ring felt snug on my finger which isn't normal. I do wonder if I am retaining water due to the time of the month coming up soon, or per the yoga. However, using the restroom hasn't been an issue these last few days (amen to Yoga).

I understand it takes time for a body to adjust but it's really heartbreaking when you're putting your all and nothing changes. The only way I do see change is extremes - like eating VERY lightly throughout the day, removing carbs, etc. I just don't believe in that lifestyle because it's not healthy.

Can anyone relate? I'm game for any questions or suggestions.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    my suggestion would be to start weighing and measuring your food. Most likely (barring any medical conditions) you're eating more food than you think you are. I know when I increase my training (training for a half currently) I tend to gain weight if I don't monitor my food intake closely. That little voice in your head that says "eh, go ahead and have some you've worked really hard" can be hard to control and you end up eating way more than you think you do. And remember, you can gain weight by eating healthy foods just as much as you can eating junk. It's all about deficit.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I do wonder if I am retaining water due to the time of the month coming up soon,

Between that ^ and increasing the amount of yoga....that could explain the two pound weight fluctuation.
  • Apollonia84
    Apollonia84 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    GOOD POINT!

I need to be more strict and you're right - a calorie is a calorie, good food or not. Thanks!
  • Apollonia84
    Apollonia84 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    True! Thank you!
    I do wonder if I am retaining water due to the time of the month coming up soon,

Between that ^ and increasing the amount of yoga....that could explain the two pound weight fluctuation.