Starting again ...

Options
funkygas
funkygas Posts: 191 Member
I joined MFP in 2011 and lost about 15kg over a period of about a year, managed to keep that weight off for about a year as well, but people were saying I was 'too skinny'. I am 172cm and weighed about 53kg at my lowest.

Last year I discovered I was gluten intolerant and when I cut out gluten, I actually gained a few kg, but managed to stay relatively steady around the 56kg mark. I splurged, and overate, on a regular basis saying 'well, I need to gain weight anyway, I shouldn't worry' - lots of baking, lots of eating of cookie dough, and the finished products. But I managed to stay around 56kg for most of last year.

Then came Christmas and a stressful time with my family, where I managed to end up at 60kg. I've been going between around 57 and 60kg ever since then.

This week has been nuts - I've had my daughter's birthday, my birthday, we're moving overseas so I've been baking lots to use up a lot of the ingredients in our cupboards (and eating lots too, even while sharing them with the kids friends and at the office). Last Thursday I was 57kg. Last Monday I was 59.6kg. Today I was 60.0kg.

I can't pretend to myself that it's just a fluctuation - I've looked at my calories for the past week and I know I've overeaten. So I am committing myself to starting again. Today, not when we've moved (which is next week). Even though we're going to be eating out a lot, since we now have no more food in the house (and hence no more temptation for baking), I am going to try to stay around the 1500 calories per day.

I know I can lose the weight and keep it off - I've done it before. I just would like some support from here too!

Replies

• funkygas
    Options
    I should also point out that I'm usually quite active - 3 times a week of strength training (weights or bodyweight) and 2-3 times a week of cardio (run/walk). I'm not going to be able to do that until at least the end of next week now ... which makes my eating much more important at this time!
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The nice thing is that starting over, pretty much any activity is going to help. Gardening, cleaning the house, carrying laundry. I got my Fitbit out again and started using it and I was pleased to be able to compete against myself again.

I only rode the exercise bike for six minutes and boy did my legs hurt last night, but every minute of exercise helps.

Good luck this time around. I am doing the same. I was doing really well last year and then just gave up and fell into the old habits. I am hoping that this time sticks.

:)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

if you're back, you didn't make truly sustainable changes. It isn't a fault or flaw, just the truth. Take a look at the link above, I've listed out a ton of tricks that I've learned over time...

they may apply. Take what you can from it, move forward, and good luck.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes!! There should be a "Starting over" group - I joined in 09 - lost all the weight I needed (but some pounds shy of what I really wanted) and then I got distracted. People died. Pets died. I stopped drinking wine and started craving sugar. One day I realized I was eating frosting out of a can. (FROSTING OUT OF A CAN?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??) I don't eat junk food, I don't eat meat, and yet I was eating frosting out of a can.

I think I can forgive myself and so can you.

Now I need to lose the same amount of weight as when I first joined MFP. But I start from a place of success. I succeeded the first time. I lost weight healthfully with MFP and can do it again. Even if I didn't meet my goal, I stuck with it as long as I did - it's a good notch in my belt.

I quit smoking way back and I learned that most people have to quit 10 times to be successful. Which means they have to endure 9 times of feeling like a complete failure. I don't think it will be nine times for me with the weight.

So I'm up for a new run. And I think you can be too. How about a Starting Over Thread.
  • francesjdae
    Options
    "Starting again" are two words I absolutely dread in thinking about loosing weight.

Back in 2011, I weighed my heaviest of about 138 lbs (granted, I am 5'1) and a successfully lost 25 of those pounds within a year of simply changing my lifestyle choices and going to the gym regularly (both in which I had never done before). After falling in love with going to the gym and eating well, I got to a weight which was 'appropriate' for my height/size.
    It's 2014 now and I am coming to realize I am the exact same weight as last year with the same concerns/insecurities I had before. What happened? I hit a plateau & I kept contemplating* continuing my journey (goal is to weigh 110), but I didn't let my thoughts go into actions.

4 days ago, I finally decided to go all in & join myfitnesspal & really take note of my diet & finally loose the last pounds I've been wanting to loose for years now.

For myself, and all those "starting again" I would encourage that you really look into your heart and decide "yes, this is the start of the continuation of my journey" or "no, I am not ready right now" . Indecision & doubt are sometimes worse than failure because we are stuck on the fence without split between two directions..and we can stay like this for years.

If the answer is yes: keep going! stay motivated! & finish STRONG bc remember that 'starting again' SUCKS
    Starting again can be almost as difficult as first starting because you know what to do, but now you have to step up your game and continuing growing, and pushing yourself to the limit.
    But you & I can do it! Stay positive, patient, and motivated and I am sure we will arrive to our goal.
  • vickygraboske
    Options
    Starting again today, myself. :)
  • funkygas
    Options
    Just an update ... for those who may be interested.

We made it back to our home country earlier this week, I have now gotten back to 58kg with not baking anything since early last week and eating under 1500 most days. I am very tired and jetlagged ... and will give myself a day or so over the weekend to bake, but am trying to limit my eating of the cookies to just licking the beaters, and having one of the finished product on the day of baking, and making at least one cookie fit into my calories for the rest of the days.

Oh, but there's hot cross buns and other chocolate to fit into the calories too ... I think I may be going a little over on the sweets this weekend, but hopefully not too far over on my calories ... (might change to maintenance this weekend!)