I need a Don Katsu (Ton Katsu) Recipe

vkpmusic
vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Ok. I am going Japanese tonight. I am going to be over my sodium again tonight. Sigh. Better than usual though b/c I am not getting the gyosa like I normally would. Anybody know where to get TonKatsu (Don Katsu) sauce? Is it actually called that or is it something else that they just put on the pork as part of the dish? I would make it if I knew how. I know how to make the breaded cutlet part, just not the sauce. Then I could make it with less sodium! LOL! The breaded cutlet recipe I found on the web, but they didn't use the sauce.

Replies

• jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Tonkatsu. We use it on a bunch of stuff aside from pork. I know where to get it where I live, but no idea where you are, we have Japanese markets here.

You can always fake it by dressing up catsup with some other stuff, seen plenty of people do it, but never tried it myself. Personally I like the bottled yakitori sauce better. But 'in home' everyone does it a little different.
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Yeah, that link looks about like what I've seen people do
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Gotta love Amazon.com...I think I'm buying everything from there, now. ;-) There are a couple brands there--Bull Dog and Kikkoman. The Kikkoman looks like something that would be in the ethnic isle in Food Lion, which you probably have in AL, or any other grocery store (with the soy sauce, etc.)

http://www.amazon.com/Bull-Dog-Vegetable-Fruit-Tonkatsu-Sauce/dp/B0002IZD1G
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    ..on second thought, it's full of sugar and HFCS. Sodium is 350mg per Tbsp.

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/product/bulldog-tonkatsu-sauce-10-1-oz?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base
  • vkpmusic
    Thanks guys. They don't sell the Kikkoman version in the stores I've been too...but we do have an asian market. Now that I know what I'm looking for, I might do better....
  • vkpmusic
    I might even make some from the recipie! I LOVE this stuff but the Hibachi grill version is just not healthy!
  • Not sure if this is the sort of sauce you are looking for and its a British recipe so not sure how easy it will be to get the ingredients but its a skinny chicken katsu curry recipe from my old weightloss site that might help.

Chicken Katsu Curry

Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4 Calories: 593 per serving

Ingredients
    15ml Oil, Groundnut, Average
    1 Med/180g Onions, Raw, Average
    5 Cloves/15g Garlic, Raw, Average
    2 Carrots/150g Carrots, Whole, Raw, Peeled, Average
    15g Flour, Plain, Average
    1 Tbsp/6.3g Curry Powder, Average
    600ml Stock, Chicken, Home Prepared, Average
    2 Tsps/16g Honey, Pure, Clear, Average
    1 Tbsp/15ml Sauce, Soy, Average
    1 Leaf/0.9g Bay Leaves, Dried, Average
    ½ Tsp/2.5g Garam Masala, Dry, Ground, Average
    420g Chicken, Breast, Fillets, Skinless & Boneless, Raw, Average
    100g Flour, Plain, Average
    ½ Tsp/2.5g Salt, Table, Average
    ¼ Tsp/0.5g Pepper, Black, Freshly Ground, Average
    60g Eggs, Free Range, Medium, Average
    120g Breakfast Cereal, Cornflakes, Average
    5 Pumps/1ml Oil, Olive, Extra Virgin, Spray Oil, Average
    120g Rice, Sushi, Dry Weight, Sanchi

Method
    1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, Gas Mark 6).

2. Prepare the sauce ingredients:
    Peel and chop the onion, garlic & carrot

To make the sauce, heat the oil in a small pan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, then throw in the carrot pieces and cook slowly for 10 minutes, with the lid on giving the odd stir occasionally. You want to sweat the vegetables until softened and starting to caramelise.

Stir in the flour and curry powder and cook them for a minute. Slowly pour in the chicken stock bit by bit until combined (do it slowly to avoid getting lumps). Add the honey, soy and bay leaf then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and cook for 20 minutes. The sauce will have thickened and taken on all of the flavours, although you still need it to have a pouring consistency. Add the garam masala, salt and pepper, then pass the sauce through a sieve. (Some people might like a chunky sauce so feel free not to strain it but I like it nice and smooth.)

3. Meanwhile, get on with the chicken. Lay the seasoned flour, egg and cornflakes on to separate plates. Coat the chicken breasts into the flour, then the egg and finally cover with crushed cornflakes.

4. Spritz with oil then put in the hot oven for 12-15 minutes. Slice the chicken diagonally then serve with Japanese steamed rice and salad.
This discussion has been closed.