Insanity Calories

Options
I've been struggling to find that happy medium for the number of calories I should consume while on the Insanity program. MFP says 1200 (obviously it doesn't know my workout routine) and the Insanity math says 1900. I feel that one is too low and one is too high. Whats your number and how did you get to it? Any help to find my number would be awesome too.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling to find that happy medium for the number of calories I should consume while on the Insanity program. MFP says 1200 (obviously it doesn't know my workout routine) and the Insanity math says 1900. I feel that one is too low and one is too high. Whats your number and how did you get to it? Any help to find my number would be awesome too.

set MFP to lose 1lb per week and eat back exercise calories and that'll probably be the same number as insanity's calorie guide...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Years ago I used Spark People and it gave me a range of 1200-1550. Or something like that, its been a while. Thru trial and error I figured out that sticking to the low end didn't work for me. Feeling bad because I was in the upper end didn't make sense either. Ultimately based on trial & error and understanding my BMR I've settled on 1400-1600 for a general goal. I re-worked my MFP goals yesterday and with light activity and a 1 pound per week goal it has me at 1450 for a starting calorie intake goal each day. This seems right for me.

I'm not extremely active - I've never managed to burn extensive calories during cardio. I use an activity tracker and my goal is to earn 'exercise' calories each day, though it may not be a major amount. I figure if I'm trying for a 500 deficit and end up with 200-300 extra unused exercise calories, I'll be good. If the burn estimations are high, I should still at least have my 500 deficit. But I'm still getting enough protein, general nutrition, and feeling satisfied and even have room for 'treats' in moderation.
  • lauraashley09
    lauraashley09 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i would take your TDEE -20%. That is similar to doing MFP and eating the exercise calories, but it's a little more accurate