strength training challenge

Options
Doing a little circuit for time this afternoon that a friend of mine told me about.

Simply consists of deadlifts and pushups. Deadlifts to be done at your current bodyweight.

10 DL's
10 pushups
9 DL's
10 pushups
8 DL's
10 pushups
7 DL's
10 pushups
6 DL's
10 pushups
5 DL's
10 pushups
4 DL's
10 pushups
3 DL's
10 pushups
2 DL's
10 pushups
1 DL
10 pushups

Anyone up for a challenge?

Replies

• ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The coolest thing about this "challenge" is that you're working every single muscle in your body with just TWO exercises. Legs, glutes, core, back, traps, chest, shoulders...all of it.

Nice challenge. What's your time? I'd have to DL about 250, which I've done plenty of times but not lately since DL's haven't been a part of my routine in quite some time.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    yeah, it's definitely an all rounder!

Haven't done it yet. WIll do this afternoon and update after :) I weigh 163lbs so DL's are going to be easier than pushups I reckon. My 1rm DL is 330.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've never tried maxing out on deadlifts. I don't really trust my form well enough to go much higher than 250-275.

By the way, I wouldn't expect many takers on this challenge. VERY few people actually do deadlifts. For one thing, they're just flat out hard. Then you've got places like the Cooper Institute teaching people that deadlifts and squats are the enemy. It's a shame, really. Such a great exercise when done with good form.
  • mlui82
    mlui82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like this work out. Going to give it a try tonight
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    such a shame as DL's are awesome I reckon!

Couldn't do it yesterday because my hips felt ridiculously tight so going to wait until Friday for my regular DL and squats day. Will post time then :)
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I hate doing legs, but finally included squats in my workout last night. Tonight is DL's...and tomorrow I am sure it is going to hurt sitting down.
    I'll definitely keep this challenge in mind.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    start light mate. get the form right before trying another heavy. Got to throw the ego out the door for a few weeks with squats I found :)
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    start light mate. get the form right before trying another heavy. Got to throw the ego out the door for a few weeks with squats I found :)
    I went extremely light. Ego is not a problem as I really don't care about the weight. You're right, form is everything. Stairs and getting up are still a b!tch though.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Taken straight out of the Crossfit playbook. I like it!

If you can't do body weight deadlifts, pick a weight that is challenging for 10 reps. It's all about scaling and accommodating your abilities, not pushing yourself into injuries.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    It seems pretty killer. I cant DL anywhere near my body weight, on M (hard lifting day) I lift 35 pounds (not including the bar). So lifting 200 would be crazy hard for me. Maybe when my season ends and I have slowed down my workouts I will try this one.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Two of my mates who are about 200lbs did this with 2x 35lb DBS. Times were 24 and 26 minutes.

I did it today with 165lb dls and did it in 6 min 28 seconds. Finished all sets except last set of pushups.

This workout is hard! I have no idea what my hr was but it was absolutely pounding by the time I finished! Going to be feeling it tomorrow :)