Change in How Fat "Feels"??

Options
I have been losing consistently for 3mo & have dropped 35lbs / 2 sizes. Recently I have noticed that the areas where I still have fat feel different. They seems to feel less dense / kind of spongey. This feeling is most noticeable in areas where I have lost the most, such as my stomach & inner thigh.

Is this due to loose skin? Some sort of change in the fat itself? Am I just paying more attention now / imagining it? I'm not concerned or anything, it just seems weird!

ETA: For those who have experienced pregnancy, it is very similar to the "empty" feeling in the breasts after your milk supply drops, or the way your belly feels in the days after giving birth.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this as an offense, ok? Just an observation.

My guess -- and this is just a guess -- is you're not lifting weights. In my experience, the next thing you're going to do is notice that certain areas of skin start to hang and sag where they didn't hang and sag before. Start lifting weights now before this happens! Start building/keeping the muscles you have, so you don't have as much issue with loose/saggy skin.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this as an offense, ok? Just an observation.

My guess -- and this is just a guess -- is you're not lifting weights. In my experience, the next thing you're going to do is notice that certain areas of skin start to hang and sag where they didn't hang and sag before. Start lifting weights now before this happens! Start building/keeping the muscles you have, so you don't have as much issue with loose/saggy skin.

I am lifting - not lifting heavy ATM (due to being busy w/ my toddler, I'm all for heavy lifting!) but I am lifting. My arms are looking more toned & I have shed inches all over, it's mostly just my belly & thighs getting this effect.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    it's mostly just my belly & thighs getting this effect.

I'm just letting you know my experience. You might be doing all you can to counteract it. I just wanted to let you know when I got down to my goal weight, my thighs were very weird looking and weird feelings. And my stomach, don't get me started. But the good news is if you're experiencing this squishyness, it means you really are losing fat.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options

Interesting. I don't know that I am down to the "last pounds" of fat, but it sounds like a possible explanation.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I definitely know the feeling especially in the tummy and inner thigh area as well and on top of looser skin from 3 babies I do think it takes more time for skin to heal and shrink than it takes for fat cells to shrink for some people. I agree with others that strength training can really be key to helping as well as I've found that upping my water intake helps my skin look and feel better which rather covers up the squishy spots more and has helped with cellulite.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    It's likely that this has to do with your muscles. Definitely keep lifting and make sure you're hitting your protein goals. Protein is essential.

It also might have to do with how much water you are retaining - i.e. the difference between bloat and fat - but I don't have any sources to back that up, it's just a guess.

ETA: Apparently the link from bodyrecomposition.com is about water retention!