Looking for a goal weight

Options
I am trying to pick a goal weight, as I feel it is easier to stay focused with a goal in mind. I am 5'5" and weigh 160. I guess I can't envision what I will look like at a certain weight, so I have no idea if I should shoot to get down as low as 115 or to lose around 20 or 25 pounds and hope that I look and feel good?

5'5" girls what is your goal weight?

Or others, what do you think a good goal is for my height?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I am 5'5" and weigh 124 pounds, but my goal was 130. I started at 145 (my size 4 capri pants were a little snug).

There are some women, like me, who are mostly muscle, so 124 is a low weight (a size 2 jeans is often too big at the waist). I run, swim, bike, and walk when I can. So, if you're athletic, you need to take muscle mass into account.

If I were you, I'd ask myself more what size you want to be. Do you want to tone up? Do you want to lose weight for the numbers on the scale to go down?
  • MattyFTM
    MattyFTM Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Maybe set a small target for now (maybe to lose 10 or 15lb), and reevaluate when you get there (or close) and see if you have another number in mind. You don't have to deside right now what your ultimate goal is, set an intermediate goal and figure it out as you go.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Set your goal for 10lbs. When you reach that see how you feel and change your goal again if you feel you want to.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BF% using calipers then enter it into the calculator here for "ideal weight"

https://www.myrebody.com/weightlosscalculator

and enter your desired body fat to see what you should weigh. Otherwise scale weight isn't really a good measure of progress or fitness or... anything.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    do you want a goal weight? or do you want a certian look?

I know a lot of women start here wanting a weight (I am one of them) and after they see things like this

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

or this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096001-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky?page=13#posts-19366042

they decide the scale weight doesn't matter and we all move to BF%...

I know that there are women here arouund your height (me being one of them I am 5ft 7) and I weigh 158 and wear a size 5/6 and others who are 5ft 6 who weight on average 148 and are smaller (clothing size) than me...

We all lift weights and worry more about the weight on the bar going up and BF%
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why? Your weight can change up to five pounds in a day so at what point do you count that you've reached a goal weight. Aim for a healthy BMI the assess. The point should be health not a specific weight. Weightloss is part of it but not the whole story and having a specific goal weight is in my opinion a bit futile
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5" and started at Christmas/178 with a goal of 150. Something to start aiming for. Now I'm within 5 pounds of that and I've readjusted though I don't know where I will end up. I'm thinking 135-145 but time will tell. I still have weight to lose, and toning needed.
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Why not start with a weight just inside the "normal" range on the BMI charts? That would be 149 for someone 5'5". Then you can reassess from there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BF% using calipers then enter it into the calculator here for "ideal weight"

and enter your desired body fat to see what you should weigh. Otherwise scale weight isn't really a good measure of progress or fitness or... anything.

Yup...
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • scuttlez
    scuttlez Posts: 51
    Options
    Everyone is different, keep that in mind. Things such as your body frame play into things a lot. I'm not 5'5, so I don't know if I chime in. I'm about 5'7. I weighed 230 pounds four years ago. I thought I wanted to get down to 125/130, but once I hit 145...I saw how my natural shape was. Realizing I was "big boned," I had to halt. Got down to 136 at my lowest and looked emaciated with my ribs and hips popping out. My advice is just get healthy. You'll know where you want to be when you get there! ;)
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 5.5" and my goal range that I recently hit is 140-145. My doctors told me to not go below 140. 25 yrs ago I got down to 135 lbs and couldn't maintain it, looked too gaunt, so for me if I can maintain this weight I'll be totally happy.

My goal now is to firm & tone and I'm sure I'll look "thinner" once I accomplish it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is based on what I want my BF% at. I want to get down to about 14% BF, and that would put me at 125 lbs for my height. This is what I used:
    Step 1: Calculate current body fat mass. Body fat mass = current weight x current body fat percentage expressed in decimal form. In this example: 140 lbs x 0.22 = 30.8 lbs.

Step 2: Calculate current lean body mass. Lean body mass = current weight – fat mass. In this example: 140 lbs – 30.8 lbs = 109.2 lbs.

Step 3: Calculate goal weight. Goal weight = current lean body mass ÷ goal lean body mass percentage. (Note: goal lean body mass percentage is 1.0 – your goal body fat percentage expressed in decimal form.) In this example: 109.2 lbs ÷ 0.83 = 131.5 lbs.

The calculator is for race weight, but you can use it to help set a general weight goal as well.
  • Schmitt10
    Schmitt10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is a website called, mybodygallery.com that will show you women who are your height, weight, and body shape.
    You can also choose shirt and pant size. It helped me when I was trying to find my goal weight by giving me an image of
    what I'd look like at a certain weight!
    Hope this helps :)