Please tell me I'm not the only one....

Options
Every. Single. Time I eat Greek yogurt, my throat feels sore while I am eating it and shortly after. Almost that soreness you get after you throw up (sorry, only way I could think to compare it). I have never had a food allergy that I know of and it doesn't happen with other yogurts, or at least, not that I have noticed. Am I the only one? What could cause this? It's not uber painful, just a nuisance.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Does it happen with all dairy products or just yogurt? It could be an allergy to milk protein (casein) or if not an allergy, a sensitivity or intolerance. The key would be if it happens with other dairy products or just yogurt. If it is just yogurt, then what other ingredients are in it that could potentially cause a reaction?
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That happens to me when I consume dairy as well. I also get really horrible post-nasal drip and acne. Stay away!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have allergy or some kind of intolerance of dairy products?
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I notice a similar thing but found it varied by the flavor I was having.

I normally eat the Chobani greek yogurts with fruit on the bottom (130 cals per container). I went and bought some of the Chobani Simply 100 ones, but found I had a reaction similar to the one you mentioned.

My guess was whatever fake sweetener they put in it was causing it.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Every. Single. Time I eat Greek yogurt, my throat feels sore while I am eating it and shortly after. Almost that soreness you get after you throw up (sorry, only way I could think to compare it). I have never had a food allergy that I know of and it doesn't happen with other yogurts, or at least, not that I have noticed. Am I the only one? What could cause this? It's not uber painful, just a nuisance.

If you're getting a post-vomit feeling in your throat it's likely acid reflux. In some people this can be triggered by dairy fats. Does the greek yogurt have a higher fat content than the other yogurts you eat?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one.

There, I did what you told me to do.

Generally speaking, I avoid foods that make me feel like I shouldn't be eating them. That unasked for commentary aside, this does sound like acid reflux to me (says the person who doesn't have a medical degree so everything she says should be taken very lightly when it comes to possible medical conditions).