Kill ALL The Things (Whole 30)

Options
I am doing the Whole 30 with a friend of mine that has an auto immune disease. We are on day 10, which days 10 & 11 are when you are most likely to quit, and we are both wanting to end it. For no real reason. Neither of us have cravings. It hasn't been hard. We feel pretty good. She feels better than I but she also feels worse than I on a daily basis. She's doing it for aches and pains, I'm doing it to kick start my weight loss that has been plateaued for way too long. We are also heading to a baseball game tomorrow (I won tickets) and are both peeved that we won't be enjoying the whole ballpark experience! UGH! Anyway, this long rambling post is just my seeking out others who have done it, or are doing it, and can support one another. Encourage. Share recipes. Remind me not to actually mame anyone no matter how much I want to. :) If this sounds like you, please send me a friend request with a msgs, or just a msg, we can encourage and support!

Replies

• dazydawn
    dazydawn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just finished my Whole 30 and I'm glad I did I had a similar experience in that I didn't have a difficult time after the first week. My issues were being organized/prepared and getting bored. I started the W30 for the energy portion of the program and to try to break off my love affair with all things sugary and fast food. The first week was brutal because I was so very tired. I am not a disciplined person, but I think the fact that I wasn't motivated by losing weight, but by gaining energy, helped me power through. Once I got the energy then I was bound and determined to finish the program for no other reason than to be able to say I did it! That's not ever been a compelling reason for me...like I said, I have no discipline, but for some reason it worked for me and I'm really happy that I did. In fact, now that I have finished, I want to continue to eat this way for the most part. At the end, I was definitely relieved that I could relax a bit and not have to read every stinkin' label! I've been off for two days. I didn't do a proper reintroduction. I just wanted a dessert for chrissakes! But, after two days of freewheeling it, I want to go back to my healthy habits. That makes me happy. I learned a lot about myself and I'm much happier. While I was in the middle I did avoid a couple of social situations. One was taking place at a vegan restaurant, which in the past would have been fine. Yay, "Healthy" food. But, when I checked the menu and it occurred to me it was all soy based, I decided to decline the invite. Watching my friends drink and eat while I nibbled on lettuce didn't seem like a good time. =) But, I did go to a wedding and I did have a couple of "emergency" food situations in which I had to eat out. But I managed those fairly well. I totally understand feeling like I'm missing out on the food part of an experience, but I reminded myself of why I was doing what I was doing (I made a list before I started) and I dug my heals in and got stubborn about it. After the event I was proud that I didn't cave and I really didn't miss the food as much. I've read that type of statement so many times from other people and have always felt annoyed that it was so easy for them to be so disciplined. Never thought I'd actually be saying the same thing. Hahaha on me.

One of my favorite dishes is panang chicken. I found a recipe I could use by omitting a couple of ingrediants and I used cauliflower rice instead of regular rice. The cauliflower rice was weird and a pretty cool substitute. After the first few bites it stopped tasting like cauliflower and became flavorless, like rice. It also bulked up the veggie content of the meal. Meatballs were also awesome because you can make a bunch and freeze them. So, I ate them with sauce or crushed them onto salads, or mixed them into a kind of American stir-fry. And mayo, learn to make mayo. I got really tired of balsamic vinaigrettes and my first couple batches of mayo were ok, but didn't taste quite right. Then I learned to make it with an immersion blender.....so much easier and FAST! I used the lightest olive oil I could find, dry mustard, apple vinegar (before I had used lemon), 1 egg, salt and it turned out perfect. Tastes almost exactly like jarred mayo. Look it up online for ratio's. Most of the recipes are really similar, just slightly different ingredients and process. It's a great base for dips and dressings and it's a quick way to add fat if I didn't have any avocados or if I was tired of olives and nuts. I did "cheat" for a few days and did smoothies when I had to have something and no time to cook eggs in the morning. I think that was ok, but I did notice having just fruit and no veg did start the sugar ball rolling a little bit. My energy levels fluctuated differently on those days. So, I stopped doing that and made sure I had boiled eggs on hand. And one week I made a big batch of sausage patties which added a lot of flavor to some pretty boring veggie plates.

Good luck with your game. I've been off program for 2 days now, but I'm going back on. It's the first time I've felt in control of myself when it comes to food. I didn't actually expect it to work out like that. =) If you want to friend me feel free!

BTW: I didn't weight myself for the 30 days. When I was done I thought I might have lost a few pounds because the "shelf" on the back of my butt had gone. I was scared to get on the scale because I didn't want to be disappointed and my expectations were pretty low. But, hey, I lost 15 pounds. That was crazy to me. In the past it's taken me months to lose just 10 pounds, only to gain it back in half the time. So, I love the W30. =)
  • dazydawn
    dazydawn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just finished my Whole 30 and I'm glad I did ........................... So, I love the W30. =)

Wholly cripe I talk alot.....sorry for the long post! (edited to shorten quote...nobody needs to see it twice!!)
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    OP- how did your W30 go? I'm on day 6 and this is the first day that the cravings have been bad. I'm about ready to come unglued!