Pre-Maintenance

Options
12346»

Replies

• leaowe4390
    leaowe4390 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel like a prime example of the yo-yo cycle. My fluctuation occurs with the seasons since I live in Central New York and the winters get very dreary, cold, and the snow just piles up. I've gotten very close to my ultimate goal weight the last 2 summers since I started my journey. The last 2 winters I, unfortunately, have gained back at least 10 pounds and then had to face spring without any clothes that fit and ended up miserable until my winter weight would come off again. I find it very hard to stay within a healthy calorie limit over the holidays when I have to workout indoors unless I want to freeze!

I'm am very sure that I'm not the only one with this problem, so I am glad that you posted this thread. Every time I get near maintenance, the weather cools down. Love reading everyone's advice :)
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP:flowerforyou:
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow -- thank you!:smile:
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm in the last few pounds of weight loss. Very timely thread; marking my spot to read more thoroughly later.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    By calculator I mean when I setup MFP (My Fitness Pal) I input activity level, age, amount to lose etc. and it keeps track of my calories via what I input and credits my exercise or calories I burn. I guess I can adjust my account with my new weight and activity level to maintain. If I don't need to lose and I keep logging and syncing my workouts It should work for me.

Aha. That is what I thought you meant. The one thing I don't understand is how non-cardio exercises are not counted as calories burned. It sure feels like I burn calories, so I count them as cardio. Not sure if I should be doing that.

I finally am fitting into the clothes I bought last summer. Feels good. I actually don't mind looking in the mirror, or seeing myself in photos. What will feel really good is when I see I am in the normal weight range.

Again, the hardest part is going to be the maintenance. I am thinking of going an extra 5 or 10 pounds below goal weight, just to have some leeway.

I love all the tips you have shared on what you have done for maintenance, or what you will do!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I pulled some of the tips people have given us here and compiled them into one post.

1. Keep exercise -don't stop. Build it into your normal routine for life.
    2. Increase cals slowly 100k cals a week until you stop loosing weight
    3. Weigh regularly - normally i weigh weekly but on maintenance i weighed twice a week.
    4. Plan you day/meals - no shopping without a list or going beserk at restaurants. You can have treats but need to earn them.
    5. Keep tracking on myfitness plan food and exercise. If poss find a maintenance buddy.
    6. Accept that some foods will not be part of your future - for me it was bread and cheese - they are like a red rag to a bull. Ijust can not help myself. So i just cut them out completely and only by exception would I select/eat them.

One of my friends said she does well to maintain weight by eating about 1800 calories a day with the exception of two meals, a dessert, and two drinks each week. She indulges just here a there with these "exceptions" but it's balanced with the set calories most other days.

I lost 60+ pounds and maintained it for about 12 years by continuing to log everything I ate, exercising most days, and sticking to a net calorie intake that I calculated based on my weight and gender. Something like this: http://www.builtlean.com/2010/03/14/how-to-calculate-your-calorie-burn/

I actually weighed daily, and if I saw an increase of more than a couple of pounds, I went back on a lower calorie plan until I lost it. It seems obsessive, but it's what I had to do to maintain. Once it becomes part of your life, it's not a big deal to do it. And this was all before online food and exercise diaries, which make it much easier.

For example, at my current weight, height, and age, a woman will burn 1416 calories/day just by living and breathing. If I add in moderate exercise five times a week, I can take in 2124 calories/day and maintain my weight.

As someone who has been in maintenance for just a few months, I'd say to make sure that you have realistic expectations. It is highly likely that you will gain back a couple of pounds when you go into maintenance- because your body will replenish its glycogen stores. DON'T PANIC! This is normal.

A lot of people lose a few extra pounds before going into maintenance just for that reason- so say you want your maintenance weight to be 130. You could consider losing a few extra pounds down to 127 before going into maintenance, knowing that you're going to rebound back up to 130. No problem!

My other tip would be to expect your weight to fluctuate. Most people have a 3-5 lb band that their weight fluctuates in. As long as they're within that band, then they know they are maintaining. If they go over or under that band then they can eat less or more to fix the fluctuation. For me, that band is 126-129. If I weigh in at 130, I would double check to make sure I'm not overeating. If I go under 126 then I make sure that I'm eating enough to account for my exercise.

Good luck with maintenance! Enjoy the extra food!

I've maintained my 50 pound loss for almost 2 years.

My strong suggestion is to develop a plan for maintenance, just as you had a plan to lose weight. My maintenance plan has been tested and tweaked and it's a good fit for me. It's just not possible for me to regain the 50 pounds that I've lost if I stick with my plan.

I wrote a blog post on the importance of having a mainteance plan, if you want to take a look: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/themedalist/view/what-s-your-maintenance-plan-624676

I am 2lbs from maintenance and it's my first time here....Yah.

I have my plan and feel it is sustainable...

in 2-3 weeks when I hit goal I will start increasing my calories to my TDEE (which I know based on my own intake, weight loss etc)

So 4 weeks after I hit goal weight I will be at maintenance...I will keep track here on MFP...logging, weighing, continue with my workouts etc and watch the scale.

If it continues to go down I will up my calories...if it goes up I will lower my calories...

Fail to plan...plan to fail.

Personally maintenance last summer was easy for me. I reduced my cardio to 1 day a week if that... and then just kept lifting weights on a daily basis. The longest break I took was 4 days away from the gym.

There is no real secret just monitor what you eat, don't drink everyday. Realize there are way better things you can do then sit on a patio and drink (seriously seems like everyone loves doing this... I see no point to it, like what I waste of time)

Umm ... if your going to indulge upon things make it the best of's only ... what i mean by this if your going to have chocolate, have only the BEST chocolate, the finest wines and the oldest scotch. Why I suggest this ... cause it's so dam costly you can't afford to maintain it. ;)

Weigh yourself every day. I say this because.. I again..am losing the weight I lost a few months ago. As you so correctly stated…most of us gain the weight back.

The reason I have regained is each and every time I avoided the scale and reality.

While weighing everyday can be bad while losing weight can be counter productive. It is the key to keeping it off.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/minding-the-body/201312/daily-weighing-may-help-manage-your-weight

I continue to post everyday exactly what I eat. Even if being bad. I only weigh once a week. I average the calories I ate for a week. If I gained...I'm eating too much, if I lost I add a few calories...if I stayed the same....it was just right. When it is just right for a few weeks....I've found my maintenance calorie goal. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now...and I am still losing....I need to not be afraid of eating a few more calories. Most of it is between our ears.

I'm starting to think of the current weight loss period as just training for maintenance, so I'm introducing the habits now which studies have proven successful maintainers follow. So

- Weigh every day. I do it now and I like the instant feedback and learning how my body adapts to calorie deficit and the types of foods I consume. I don't know how often I'll log it yet, but I quite like the daily routine of logging.

- Maintain 1hr planned physical activity every day, and log it.

- Keep logging what I eat. I'm hoping that I will have trained myself about portions to not have to weigh everything, but just to weigh occasionally as a check on my portion perception. We'll see how this goes. I might choose to weigh some foods (meat, cheese etc) but not others.

- Watch my protein intake and make sure I get enough. I'm aiming for 60g every day right now.

- Practice dietary restraint. I find for me it's easy to binge over holidays or vacations, so I'm practicing enjoying what I want (I'll be enjoying Easter eggs and my homemade hot cross buns, plus rib roast over Easter), but still keeping my weight more-or-less constant, so that'll mean working more fun, family-based activity around the holidays rather than sitting on the couch watching James Bond movies all day!

I don't know about calorie/protein targets yet. I want to hit my target weight and then focus more on reducing body fat over time, so I haven't calculated my metrics yet, but my plan is forming!!

Been maintaining for about 2 1/2 years.
    When you get within a pound or two or three of your goal weight, increase your calorie intake such that you cut your deficit roughly in half.
    Yes, that means the last couple of pounds will come off more slowly, but you've come this far ... what's another couple of weeks?
    As others have said, you might go UNDER your goal a bit, just to give yourself some adjustment room.
    Now that you've reached (or gone a bit below) your goal, cut your deficit in half again, and monitor your weight for a couple of weeks.
    If you continue to lose, increase your daily calorie intake by 50 or so ... it's NOT an exact science.
    If you gain, decrease the allowable intake by 20 or 30.
    Keep logging & continue to monitor the weight, but don't run yourself ragged with a 10 calorie increase or a 5 calorie decrease.
    You'll NEVER find the exact number due to normal daily fluctuations.
    I gave myself +3 pounds & -2 pounds from 'goal' before I changed my calorie allowance.
    Look for trends and the reasons behind them.
    If you binged at a pot luck supper, expect an increase.
    If you were super-busy or didn't feel up to par & didn't exercise for a few day, expect an increase.
    Don't panic & cut your calories based on special, short-term cases.
    Similarly, don't boost your limit if the opposite happens -- you jogged 5 miles instead of 3, etc.
    You've dedicated a lot of time to accomplish your goal.
    Be prepared to continue investing your time to STAY THERE.
    Some have stopped logging.
    I'm such a poor judge of calorie content, I can't afford that luxury.
    If logging is a major pain, you might try the omission, but let your clothing and the scale guide you.
    When the numbers creep up or the clothes start feeling tight, consider a resumption of the logging.

I'm in maintenance right now. Have been since January. In a little while (haven't decided when) I'm going to go out of maintenance and try to lose another 10lbs.

I have a Fitbit so I follow my calories burned using that and I make sure I eat at a small deficit every day. Just a small one. That way it accounts for logging mistakes and if I have a bad day (or two) it will all balance out. The key for me being in maintenance is to still log everything. I'm not sure I'll ever stop logging because that keeps me honest and focused.
  • ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I hit the bottom of my target weight range about a month ago and upped my calories by 100. Then I promptly went on a weekend vacation (up 4 pounds, then lost back 3 of them), then there was Easter (won't know the damage from that for awhile - I only weigh on Saturdays). Next is another weekend away and then my birthday and mother's day. I'm trying to be patient and not get too freaked out until I've had a few "normal" weeks. Which won't be until mid-May at this rate! As long as I keep in my range, even if it's on the upper end, I think I'm going to stay at the calorie allotment I've set. We'll just have to see. I know that I'll have to be diligent and weigh and measure things for the rest of my life, but I think it's doable. I've lost weight before - even counted calories - but that was pre-smart phone and once I lost the ability to track my food intake during the day (work ban on internet basically), I fell back into bad habits. Hopefully, this time will be different.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    By calculator I mean when I setup MFP (My Fitness Pal) I input activity level, age, amount to lose etc. and it keeps track of my calories via what I input and credits my exercise or calories I burn. I guess I can adjust my account with my new weight and activity level to maintain. If I don't need to lose and I keep logging and syncing my workouts It should work for me.

Aha. That is what I thought you meant. The one thing I don't understand is how non-cardio exercises are not counted as calories burned. It sure feels like I burn calories, so I count them as cardio. Not sure if I should be doing that.

I finally am fitting into the clothes I bought last summer. Feels good. I actually don't mind looking in the mirror, or seeing myself in photos. What will feel really good is when I see I am in the normal weight range.

Again, the hardest part is going to be the maintenance. I am thinking of going an extra 5 or 10 pounds below goal weight, just to have some leeway.

I love all the tips you have shared on what you have done for maintenance, or what you will do!
    Once again great thread! For me its not fitting into old clothes unless I saved them from high school 35 years ago. I plan on keeping the exercise for now and adding more snacks for fat and protein like cheese and tree nuts.

In the tip department I use fitbit to track general activity like walking around at work. Other scheduled activity like weight lifting I manually enter. My AB workout, walks and running sync automaticly from runtastic.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am on Maintenance and have been for over 3 months.

What I do each day is log on my Diary and stay within my calorie goal
    Drink my water.
    Exercise when I can.
    So Far I have maintained my weight. I do weigh my self weekly as not to gain weight.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I am on Maintenance and have been for over 3 months.

What I do each day is log on my Diary and stay within my calorie goal
    Drink my water.
    Exercise when I can.
    So Far I have maintained my weight. I do weigh my self weekly as not to gain weight.

Good ideas, Phyllis, I like those. I don't worry too much about drinking water. I probably drink too much tea, though. When I do my Zumba classes I drink what feels like gallons of water.

Just curious, how does drinking water help you lose weight?
  • lalamoose64
    lalamoose64 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Reasonable advice!
    I have 8-10 lbs. that I want to lose before going into maintaince. I want to ensure that I do not gain anything back once I stop losing. How can I speed up my metabolism and start losing again? How can I do ensure that I will not gain anything back once I add 200 calories in the maintainence phase? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

As someone who has been in maintenance for just a few months, I'd say to make sure that you have realistic expectations. It is highly likely that you will gain back a couple of pounds when you go into maintenance- because your body will replenish its glycogen stores. DON'T PANIC! This is normal.

A lot of people lose a few extra pounds before going into maintenance just for that reason- so say you want your maintenance weight to be 130. You could consider losing a few extra pounds down to 127 before going into maintenance, knowing that you're going to rebound back up to 130. No problem!

My other tip would be to expect your weight to fluctuate. Most people have a 3-5 lb band that their weight fluctuates in. As long as they're within that band, then they know they are maintaining. If they go over or under that band then they can eat less or more to fix the fluctuation. For me, that band is 126-129. If I weigh in at 130, I would double check to make sure I'm not overeating. If I go under 126 then I make sure that I'm eating enough to account for my exercise.

Good luck with maintenance! Enjoy the extra food! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I thought I would be in maintenance soon. I was prepared to be pretty close to being done losing weight once I get to 130.

i saw some recent photos of me, and I still look heavier than I thought I was. I guess I am going to need to get to about 120 or 125 to be my goal size. I am five foot one. No more than a Size 10 and a Size Medium top is where I feel best.

So I have about 20 pounds to lose still.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I thought I would be in maintenance soon. I was prepared to be pretty close to being done losing weight once I get to 130.

i saw some recent photos of me, and I still look heavier than I thought I was. I guess I am going to need to get to about 120 or 125 to be my goal size. I am five foot one. No more than a Size 10 and a Size Medium top is where I feel best.

So I have about 20 pounds to lose still.
    Usual advice if you don't - eat lots of protein and ideally lift some weights - it's easy to lose quite a lot of muscle while losing fat if you're not careful - and thus end up being smaller, but still not quite as 'trim' as you might hope.
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I have about 10 lbs to get to my ideal (in my head) weight. I'm shooting for 15 though so I have a little buffer zone for vacations, holidays etc.

I plan to weigh every day and go back to losing mode whenever more than 4 lbs. creeps up. If I weighed weekly...I'd likely forget!
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great thread!
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Great thread, I was on Weight Watchers 3 different times but could never make it their goal for me even though I was very thin, so 3 times I gained it all back with interest. I'm within 14 pounds of the goal my doctor and I set for me and never having made to maintenance before I'm a little scared too. I like the suggestion of adding calories back a little at a time, seems like a sound plan. I'm also going a little lower than I need to to give myself some wiggle room. Once below 200 I never want to go over again! Thanks for the good ideas everyone
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm approaching maintenance and want to make sure I don't lose all my good habits. (Happy to report, though, that my husband really likes the Cooking Light recipes I've been making and wants to keep them in the rotation permanently. Of course he eats like 3 portions of them, but he's a big guy with an active job.)
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I have a maintenance bracket of 147-151lbs (10.7-10.10st)

I hit my goal last October and when we had a few wet months my walking became less and I went up to 155lbs (11.1st) so a few months ago I started logging my food again but on 1700 cals so my loss would be slow and steady, now only 2lbs away from lowest bracket weight I've gone up to 1800 cals, I'm aiming to find my balance as last time I went down to 143lbs (10.3st) and just stopped logging, I looked ill so low in weight.

I'm trying to be more organised this time round and I will be continuing to use MFP in maintenance this time.
  • MFPChloe
    MFPChloe Posts: 5
    Options
    I like weighing once a day in the mornings because if I'm down any weight at all, I am happy all day and motivated. If I have gained any weight at all, I am motivated to do better this day! :)