Am I starving?

Options
My daily recommended calories is: 1420

I work out at least 5 times a week for 45 minutes and on average I burn about 500-600 calories. So after my burned calories my daily calories allowance jumps up to about 2000 calories per day. I end up with 1000 free calories that I don’t consume. On average I normally eat 1100 calories per days (some days 900 calories) and feel completely full. Except on the Fridays when I normally go out to eat and my calories those day are around 1700-2000 calories.
I know this might not be healthy but should I stuff my mouth just to use those unused calories? Or am I mathematically over analyzing this process?

You can take a look at my food diaries (I think is available to friends only).

Replies

• azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    that does seem awfully low for an adult male. i am not sure, I could be wrong. it could possibly be the types of foods your eating. I tried to look at your diary, but it is only available to your friends. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful :(
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    You should be eating at least your BMR. and then most of your exercise cals. You wnt to eat heathly stuff and not just stuff to stuf your mouth with. dont be over mathamatical just do it in the most healthy way possible. Its a change of life style and you want to go about it in a way that is comfortable for you to do and have success. :bigsmile:
  • Tuplatano
    Tuplatano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    To view my Diaries you can enter the Key: 1234
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You should eat more calories.
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    I think i been eating healthy stuff: Most of the healthy stuff i been eating is naturally low in Cals.

Check my diaries. the key is 1234
  • thedeepblue
    Options
    900 to 1100 is very low calories for a male. Your body must think you are trying to starve yourself.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hi there! From what I see, you are making healthy choices BUT you need to increase your calories. Great job getting in those fruits! I think you could increase your veggie intake a little on most days. Do you drink milk? Skim milk is a great source not only of calcium, but also vitamins A, D, Riboflavin, and protein. For days when you are short of calories but just aren't hungry, try eating a tablespoon of peanut butter. It'll add calories and provides healthy fats. Or you could eat the peanut butter on Bran Crispbread (http://www.brancrispbread.com/default.aspx) which is an excellent source of fiber. Are you watching your sodium intake? Be careful of the packaged foods and lunch meats, they are loaded with sodium and will put you over your limit quick.

Overall, I think you are doing a great job! But definitely increase your calorie intake a little. Good luck! I hope this helps! :)

~Angela
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    IMO yes. I would be absolutely starving if I was eating as much as you and I weight 160lbs.

Have a read of this for an absolute no BS guide to FAT LOSS (not weight loss) and body recomposition.
    http://www.ptcfrankston.com/doc/newsletter/PTC_Newsletter_IssueNo37.html
    \

If you don't have time to read the above (although I HIGHLY recommend it as it is great advice) here is the summary.

Now for a final recap. The ones that are going to lose the most amount of body fat will be lifting heavy weights three times per week, increasing the weight used whenever possible, they will be doing two very intense cardio sessions where they will run with weights, sprint, swing kettlebells, lift KB’s that are over their bodyweight, do complexes that will leave them nauseous, at least twice a week, they will be eating six small meals a day, making sure they have protein in each meal. They will be eating four grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight every day, divided into six portions. They will obtain all their carbohydrates from fruit and vegetables, ensuring they don’t eat any fruit after mid afternoon. They will avoid all manmade carbs. They will drink no calories. They will get eight hours sleep every night.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Dude,

I looked at your food diary. You need some substance. But listen, that whole starvation thing that people just LOVE to talk about isn't even remotely accurate. Your body isn't going to starve. Your metabolism may slow down if it doesn't have fuel (just the way a car slows down if it doesn't have fuel) but you're not going to starve.

Zig zagging is a very good way to keep your body guessing. Sort of like muscle confusion. One day your calories are high, the next day they're low, and at the end of the week it all averages out. It's effective, it's safe, and if you're not feeling hungry or dizzy or faint, then I would say that you're probably all right. I know I never feel hungry after I weight train but I'm famished after I run more than ten or twelve miles.

You are a sandwich guy... I don't see much in the way of vegetables and fruit or dairy. I'd tell you to mix it up, throw in some different foods so that you get all those macronutrients you need.

At the end of the day, trust your body. It will tell you that you're hungry. You're losing weight, you feel good, you're working out, and you've sold me on the elliptical. I've never gotten on that thing but after seeing that you can burn all those calories in half an hour, I'm sold. I have to run seven miles to burn that much and it takes me an hour.
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about your height and whether or not those workouts include weight training. I'm 5'10 and in April my weight was 226. As of today I weighed in at 182 lbs. I eat considerably more calories in a day that you are currently consuming. My progress has been accelerated since September when I discovered this application. Before It I was eating much worse. I'm happily leaving my food diary open. If you're doing weight lifting you really want to make sure your body is taking in lots of protein. As those muscles grow and repair themselves your calorie burn will increase and your progress will accelerate. But be careful not to eat too little. I expect that want to me the muscular guy on the beach next summer, and not just the starving skinny kid.
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    Thank you for the imputs, i'm learning alot from you. I'm gonna try to slowly increase my calories to 1400 per day, however i hope this will not slow down my weight lost. My goal is to lose 2LBS per week like i did 4-5 years ago.

@ChrisDave: Thank you for the article link, I will take a look at it.

@ Bayoubabie: THank you for thoses advised, I know i do realize that i need to eat more vegetables, I dont like veggies but i will need to get use to. Milk, yes i only buy Skim milk and lite Soy milk, I had not been drinking lots of Milk latelly but i need to start adding that to my diet. I normally ear a cheese string for my calcium. I do love peanuts so next time i go shopping i'm going to buy some more raw unsalted nuts. I stopped bringing those lean frozen meal to work because of the amount of sodium in them and started replacing them with deli sandwiches, thank you for reminding me that some of the lunch meat are loaded with sodium.
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    @ Tbenard: I'm not doing any weight lifting as of yet. I'm 5'9 and I my weight was 220.5 on 09/17.. Last friday when i weighted myself i was 214. My plan right now is to get to aleast to 165 LBS and then start to do some weight lifting after i get to 165LBS and continue to lose more fat weight. No i dont want to be a skinny boy at the beach :laugh: . My final goal is to create my own "Situation" (6 pack) and muscular defenition.

@ Diva: Hola Diva, I dont feel hungry or dizzy, but when i do feel hungry i normally eat a cheese stick , some melon, or someting low in Cals. I normally eat sandwiches cause i almost always eat at my desk and because of the conveniece. But i realize that i do need to mix it up so i can get all my nutrients. I'm thinking of buying some multivitamins too. Yea the elptical is amazing. It's depend on your intensity level. i know the calories burned amount on those machines my be off by 50-100 calories so i try to keep that in mind. I also run.

I dont think i going to have a problem comsuming calories this weekend. Going on a mini Vacation.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    LOL at situation comment :P

I am 5'8" and was up to 210lbs. I dieted hardcore with no resistance training and ended up too skinny. Taken me 3 years to get back the strength I lost. Have a read of the above mate and your goals may change a bit :)
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    @ chris, I did similar to what you did about 4-5 years ago. I did some extreme dieting I called myself the somalia diet, I was only taking 800 calories a day, plus workout for approximately 50 minutes. I was awfully skinny, I was down to 125 lbs. I don't recommend my somalia diet to anybody because on the long run if not healthy if you keep doing it for an extended period of time. I will read your article tomorrow I need to try to get a least 6 hours of sleep now. Thank you
  • Butterflyglass
    Butterflyglass Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We're not dieting remember....we are changing our lifestyles. Eating so few calories without the micronutrients you receive from a wider variety of foods will only get you sick:(

The trick is changing our habits so we can maintain a manageable lifestyle with balance:)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You're very welcome! I would definitely recommend that you take a multivitamin daily. Also, B vitamins are important for energy metabolism so a B Complex would benefit you as well.

Like you, I've never been a huge fan of veggies. I've learned though that its mostly about texture for me. I prefer to eat broccoli, carrots, and several others raw not cooked. I don't care for the mushy texture when they are cooked. Sometimes I'll steam them for just a few minutes but in order for me to love them they still have to have some CRUNCH to them! Try to eat a variety of colors as they offer different nutrients. This is a good rule of thumb for all plant foods. Just mix it up a bit!

I know that eating at work can be limiting especially if you eat at your desk. I figured that's why you had so many sandwiches. The lunch meat is okay, I just wanted to make sure you keep track of sodium intake. I added it to my diary so that I can make sure daily that I'm staying within my limits. It helps! :)
  • turbojanem
    Options
    for me and my body at 150-ish, i need more than 1200 calories. i typically shoot for 1400 per day. which gives me about 200 calories net after my 400 calorie workout burn. as a man with more muscle, i would think you need this much too!

i haven't seen your eating, but this is one thing i have seen in even my friends and family and the way that they eat: the variety is low, and the processed foods are high. our bodies were designed to eat many different colors of foods in one day. to do so, you must eat veggies and fruits. i eat my 5 veggies/fruits a day, lean proteins and really watch the quality of my breads/rice/pasta. get your carbs from your fruit instead of bread. the fruits and veggies will give you the volume you need to feel full vs. cheese and crackers that have high calories and low volume.

feel free to add me as a friend and i will help you best i can. you can also look at my food journals and see what i eat.

Jane
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd throw in a protein drink somewhere in the mix--it'll give you some more calories and it'll be a good boost for exercising.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    That does seem low for an adult male. If you have your MFP settings already set at 1000 cal deficit a day. (or -2 pounds/week) then you should be eating your exercise calories. If you find your weight loss slowing down, then it is most likely a sign of your body trying to slow its metabolism and the way out is to eat more. Sounds crazy but it works. Easy ways to do this is to add healthy heart friendly fats into your diet. Avocado, extra virgin olive oil, raw nuts & seeds. Pumpkin seeds are sooo healthy for men. Keep strong & well fed.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You're eating a bunch of diety, processed, artificial crap! Eat some real food! How about some Arnold's Whole Wheat bread? It's 100 calories a slice and I can almost guarantee healthier than your 40-calorie bread that's probably full of unpronouncable chemicals to give it taste for those missing calories.

Add some mayonaisse to your sandwich. Where are all your fruits and vegetables? How about some cereal and yogurt for breakfast instead of that shake?

Oy! You're eating low-calorie, but I wouldn't call that healthy. Avocados are extremely healthy, but not low-calorie. A 100-calorie pack of "Oreos" is low-calorie, but not healthy. See?