Breathing actually really does make a difference

Options
Haaa...some I'm sure are thinking duh! I decided to actually pay real attention to my breathing today and with every exertion (whether it was pushing that pedal down on my bike, lifting out of a lunge, or pushing those weights) I exhaled. I couldn't believe what a difference it made. The time on my bike just flew by and at a quicker clip. I'm sure I sounded like a huffing maniac but it really helped me keep my pace up better too. Just thought I'd share.

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    in hale with your belly expanded, and suck it in when exhaling.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    definetly breathe out on the positive phase when lifting.

breathing out every single time you push the pedel down while bike sounds like hyperventilating.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Haaa...some I'm sure are thinking duh! I decided to actually pay real attention to my breathing today and with every exertion (whether it was pushing that pedal down on my bike, lifting out of a lunge, or pushing those weights) I exhaled. I couldn't believe what a difference it made. The time on my bike just flew by and at a quicker clip. I'm sure I sounded like a huffing maniac but it really helped me keep my pace up better too. Just thought I'd share.

I picked this up really slowly too. Just this week I started paying attention while lifting and it's felt a lot easier. I knew it all along, I just didn't implement it.
  • littlebirdyxx
    Options
    I didn't think breathing would be a problem for me, but after a year out of exercise I was a bit of a joke. For slow exercises I try to keep my breathing at the same rate as if I was walking. Sit-ups, squats, strength-stuff, I exhale on the exertion (sitting up, standing up...)... at least try to. I sometimes forget and find myself holding my breath. Oops!
    For running, I was a huffing-puffing mess until my boyfriend lectured me a little. He recommended two sharp in-hales (in time to your footfalls) then a slower exhale, at a rate only just faster than if you were walking. I found it worked well for me. I'm still puffing after 15 minutes because my fitness has gone down the drain, but I didn't have the problem of being dizzy and nauseous like the first few times I went for a run. I was also able to go a lot further (2.3 miles, with a bit of walking) which left me feeling awesome! :)
  • Supergirl9801
    Options
    Totally depends on the bike and the terrain! If you're marathon cycling or spinning, then yeah you'd give yourself a heart attack. I ride an air resistant bike or go mountain biking.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

breathing out every single time you push the pedel down while bike sounds like hyperventilating.

so much this...

if I don't breath correctly I fail on my lifts...when I let that breath out....well push it out it's like it's pushing me up.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options

so much this...

if I don't breath correctly I fail on my lifts...when I let that breath out....well push it out it's like it's pushing me up.

What is the positive phase?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    its when your muslces contract.

in a squat, this is when stand up from the squating position.

when you bring the weight down under control is called the negitive phase during which you inhale.

any press (such as bench press, OHP) the positive is when you push the weight away from you. Any curl (and basically any back stuff) the positive phase is when you draw the weight to you.

positive is contracting, negative is controlled releasing of the contraction/weight
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'll try that. I'm not sure which I was doing :o
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    It's certainly important with lifting--especially with squats. It's the difference between hurting your back and... not.
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Breathing out in one long exhale also helps with lactate build up in muscles
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Doing yoga has really helped my breathing in the other areas of exercise I do.