Canadian Thanksgiving this coming weekend

Options
OK....now we have several turkey dinners this weekend and looking for people who input on how we can eat turkey dinner for 500-600 calories.....any suggestions. Oh...pumpkin pie will I have to pass you by?

Replies

• Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Small portions, and blame it on all those other turkey dinners having filled you up?

Seriously load up on salad and veggies, or bring a veggie plate if you know your hosts won't have one?

I've been doing this too... "Oh I had lunch out with my husband at 3pm, not hungry now".

Skip the whipped cream, or maybe even bring half a dozen or a dozen pumpkin tarts that you made low cal to share? Or make something cool with pumpkin that nobody thought of, like pumpkin mousse in small portion glasses?

Who doesn't like the gift of food? :smile:
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well dessert I can pass by most of the time, it's the mashed potatoes with gravy that will get me or the roast potatoes my dad makes. :ohwell:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    small bites of your favorites surounding the big big salad on your plate. Don't go to the feast hungry.
  • Skunkroaster
    Skunkroaster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Beth, I think the key to this Thanksgiving weekend is going to be moderation and a little extra exercise. I say forget counting the calories and enjoy this special time of year, and do not pass on the pumpkin pie that is one of the best parts! Think of ways of gaining a few extra calories, encourage friends and family to head outdoors and enjoy the beautiful fall weather with a nice walk before and after your Thanksgiving meal. Everyone will benefit from the exercise! Happy Thanksgiving!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Turkey, nor Pumpkin pie, isn't the worst thing you could eat. I don't have much to add that isn't already said but small portions of your favorites, lots of veggies. Enjoy!
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. So my plan so far is to skip on all the stuff I don't much care about - wine, and appetizers. I'm also going to skip the extra sauces, and have lots of veggies. Gravy wil be strategic for maximum flavour enjoyment but minimum calories.
    Oh, and most importantly I"m intending to get in lots of extra exercise.

I guess I'll see next week how if my plan worked... :wink:
  • cycle4fun
    Options
    Just eat anything you like and don't make a big deal out of it. Isn't it all about portion control? We don't do a special diet here, like no restrictions of carbs, sugar, fat, or whatsoever. We all try to enjoy but LIMITED. If I like to eat chips, I have those mini bags of 100 cal. or if I go out for dinner like last night, I just order a filet mignon with blue cheese and have dessert too. Guess what, it didn't do any harm to my diet because I eat half the size of what I used to eat.
    Really, a little bit of everything gives you the satisfying feeling you can eat what you want.....just not so much! And nobody notices actually.
  • lifeisgoodBev
    Options
    Good Morning Beth,

Thanksgiving is so much about the family & friends not the food. Weight Watchers :) I see so many fantastic posts. This is the way I have dealt with it every year. Veggies plus, four 0z protein, approx one third cup of gravy on my half cup stuffing, since I can eyeball a portion it helps. I do have the pumpkin pie as I love it. I take the smallest piece & put a heaping teaspoon of dream whip on it. I also have in the past (at my house) taken the pumpkin out of the pie & put it in a small fancy serving dish topped with dream whip. When you basicly know ahead by tracking you are more prepared to enjoy the family & friends gathering. Enjoy your drink too! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I plan on having a little of everything, no seconds of the potatoes and gravy like I used to. Portion control. I can't eyeball but will have less than normal and will have a glass of wine too this year!!

A few weeks after that I also have a birthday dinner with chocolate fudge cake! :noway: That will def have to be a small piece. :bigsmile:

Hope everyone enjoys their dinners!!! Happy Thanksgiving.