1200 calories

Options
can you change the 1200 calories a day to say 1500 a day?

Replies

• lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You can change it to what you want on the app or here. Just make sure you are getting enough nutrients to help with stabilization or weight loss. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/8-ways-to-burn-calories-and-fight-fat
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Home / Goals / Change Goals / Custom
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You can change it to what you want on the app or here. Just make sure you are getting enough nutrients to help with stabilization or weight loss. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/8-ways-to-burn-calories-and-fight-fat

Most of the suggestions on the link you provided are pointless when looking at the big picture or just flat out wrong. It's not advantageous to eat smaller, more frequent meals for weight loss, it makes no difference when you eat, or whether or not you skip breakfast...

To answer the original poster's question, to change your calorie goal, just click on "Goals" under the "My Home" tab, then click the green "Change Goals" button at the bottom, then select "Custom" and click continue and you can change your calorie goal and nutrition goals.
  • negator5543
    Options
    It depends on your BMR(base metabolic rate). That is the amount of calories your body burns on a daily basis just to sustain itself(if you were to sit and watch television for 24 hours and do nothing).

Depending on what your BMR is you then adjust your calorie intake so that you have a weekly deficit in multiples of 3500.
    You need your body to burn 3500 more calories than you eat to lose one lb of fat.

If you want to lose 2lbs a week you need to end at 7,000 more calories burned than eaten, 3lbs would be 10,500 etc.

If your BMR happens to be 2200cals per day then you know that you're burning 15,400 per week(2200x7). So to loose 2lbs/week you'd want to consume 8400 cals per week which would be 1200 cals per day.

This is because you're naturally burning 15,400 and then adding 8400. -15400 burned + 8400 eaten= -7,000 or 2lbs of fat.

If you want to eat more calories then you need to burn more. Bumping to 1500 is an extra 300 per. If you want to do that you need to incorporate physical activity that adds up to burning an additional 2100 calories.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It depends on your BMR(base metabolic rate). That is the amount of calories your body burns on a daily basis just to sustain itself(if you were to sit and watch television for 24 hours and do nothing).

Depending on what your BMR is you then adjust your calorie intake so that you have a weekly deficit in multiples of 3500.
    You need your body to burn 3500 more calories than you eat to lose one lb of fat.

If you want to lose 2lbs a week you need to end at 7,000 more calories burned than eaten, 3lbs would be 10,500 etc.

If your BMR happens to be 2200cals per day then you know that you're burning 15,400 per week(2200x7). So to loose 2lbs/week you'd want to consume 8400 cals per week which would be 1200 cals per day.

This is because you're naturally burning 15,400 and then adding 8400. -15400 burned + 8400 eaten= -7,000 or 2lbs of fat.

If you want to eat more calories then you need to burn more. Bumping to 1500 is an extra 300 per. If you want to do that you need to incorporate physical activity that adds up to burning an additional 2100 calories.

This doesn't make sense. You can't use your resting rate and then deduct 8,400 calories from it. You need to use your TDEE not BMR
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    yes it is okay to go from 1200 to 1500 or even 1650 cals > simple as >that not based on anything ask yourself do you feel good eating only 1200 calories?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

What is your goal?
  • negator5543
    Options
    What I'm saying is that your body burns x calories per day just doing nothing. So if you do 0 physical activity a Defecit of 3500 calories is one lb lost. So in other words, if you eat nothing and your BMR is 2200, you'd still need 1300 cals or excercise in a day to lose one lb(not an intelligent think to do but that's how it works).

So if you do zero excercise your daily expenditure is your BMR this is why very large people can she'd wait very rapidly early on. The large BMR of like 4500cals per day minus the 1200 intake the reduce to is a lb lost per day just by eating less.

Weight loss and gain all boils down to how many calories did you burn vs how many did you eat. For every 3500 more burned you lose a lb...it doesn't matter if you ate less or worked out more or did both.

Ps. This is why things like juice cleanses cause such rapid weight loss even for class 3 obese people who physically can not execercise. Just to maintain their current body they need 5,000 plus calories per day, when their calorie intake drops so significantly the weight just falls off. As you lose weight the BMR or (calories burned doing nothing all day) drops and the weight loss slows down. This is why crash dieting fails people.

This doesn't make sense. You can't use your resting rate and then deduct 8,400 calories from it. You need to use your TDEE not BMR
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

yes you can. go to goals and choose custom settings, then change the 1200 t0 1500. Just make sure you get in some daily exercise and you will still lose weight. Remember that if you are eating more than what mfp gives, don't eat all of your exercise calories back only a portion of them. I am eating at tdee minus 20% which actualy equals my bmr and still losing. I like it better this way because I never feel deprived and I get to eat more of what I like.
  • robin5628
    Options
    Okay thanks. I workout for an hour to an hour and a half 5 days a week and I would rather eat 1500 cals a day
  • robin5628
    Options
    So when it is at 1200 calories and you exercise that day it gives you more calories to eat as you exercise? Is that correct. Not sure if I am explaining myself very well. If that is the case I should leave it at 1200. It started at 1200 when I got up and in just a few minutes it was at 1205 calories???
  • Shoechick5
    Options
    What I'm saying is that your body burns x calories per day just doing nothing. So if you do 0 physical activity a Defecit of 3500 calories is one lb lost. So in other words, if you eat nothing and your BMR is 2200, you'd still need 1300 cals or excercise in a day to lose one lb(not an intelligent think to do but that's how it works).

So if you do zero excercise your daily expenditure is your BMR this is why very large people can she'd wait very rapidly early on. The large BMR of like 4500cals per day minus the 1200 intake the reduce to is a lb lost per day just by eating less.

Weight loss and gain all boils down to how many calories did you burn vs how many did you eat. For every 3500 more burned you lose a lb...it doesn't matter if you ate less or worked out more or did both.

Ps. This is why things like juice cleanses cause such rapid weight loss even for class 3 obese people who physically can not execercise. Just to maintain their current body they need 5,000 plus calories per day, when their calorie intake drops so significantly the weight just falls off. As you lose weight the BMR or (calories burned doing nothing all day) drops and the weight loss slows down. This is why crash dieting fails people.

But your BMR is what you have if you laid on your back all day. Most people don't need to deduct anything from their BMR to lose weight. They just need to go about their normal day ...exercise or not
  • Shoechick5
    Options
    So when it is at 1200 calories and you exercise that day it gives you more calories to eat as you exercise? Is that correct. Not sure if I am explaining myself very well. If that is the case I should leave it at 1200. It started at 1200 when I got up and in just a few minutes it was at 1205 calories???

Can you give us some info... your current weight, height, etc. Do you know what your BMR is? We really can't give any advice until we know more details. If you're a 5 ft and 120 pounds then yeah, 1,200 is probably great. 250lbs and 5'6 then absolutely not.