SL 5x5 Alternative

Options
Ive been doing SL 5x5 for about 2 months and LOVE the results I am getting. The problem is that I am also trying to recover from a torn rotator cuff (labrum and infraspinatus) and my doctor doesnt want me doing OHP. Im good with that because it hurts. A lot. He approved the rest of the exercises.

What would you do as an alternative on B day? I can raise my arm to shoulder height without issue.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe still do OHP, but just go really light?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask your doctor what you can do. Or do rehab exercises (if you've been given some). Or do some core instead. Or just do 2 exercises on B day.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Maybe look for exercises people can do with a rotator cuff online or talk to your doctor about what you can do. Are you still able to do the other lifts?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you can bench press...and dead lift for that matter. I have both of my rotator cuffs badly sprained right now and I can't dead or OHP or Bench...actually I can bench really light, but nothing that would be remotely close to what I usually workout with.

Right now I'm personally just taking it a bit easy and doing my rehab work with the rubberbands...I can do some rows (but again, not to my usual workout level) but I'm primarily hitting up squats every workout and doing some RDLs instead of traditional dead lifts so that I can get the benefit with lighter weight...I tried standard deads at my rep weight and I thought I was going to lose my arms.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

NOOOOOOOOooooooooooo.

And with a jacked up shoulder I'd start limiting my benching as well. Incline benching tends to be easier on the shoulder. DB work tends to be easier on the shoulders as well, especially if you experiment with holding the DBs in different positions than the way you'd hold a barbell.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Im doing great with the other lifts. My problem is called "shoulder impingement syndrome". Its real. I looked it up. Basically the overhead movement causes the shoulder to bind and pop and do all sorts of nasty nasty.

He didnt give me any other exercises to do and I dont see him again for a month.

cwolfeman13 - im 5 months into my recovery. Spent the first 3 months with a physical therapist and the bands. We're trying to avoid surgery at this point. My injury was a clear tear from trauma (hit by a car while riding my bike). Sprains are the worst... I feel for you.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    [/quote

NOT a good idea!
    Lifting the arm above shoulder level with a torn rotator cuff is looking for trouble, and since the injured shoulder will be weaker, the OP will be doing most of the movement with the opposite arm thus creating unbalance.

I had surgery in both shoulder, so I know what can be done and what can't and shouldn't be done. It all depends in the injury and the level of the rehabilitation.

OP, talk with your doctor as other suggested or ask for PT so you can get a better idea of what you should do. Maybe using dumbbells but not too heavy, lift your arms to shoulder levels to exercise the area. I bend my arms doing this exercise if my shoulders feel bad and most of the time I alternate arms as well.

Good luck, I feel for you.

Edited to add that bench press with heavier weight is also not recommended. That is my problem and the reason why I can't increase my benching. My shoulders, specially the left one will not take it. It is hard, but we need be smart and workout around our limitations.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Im doing great with the other lifts. My problem is called "shoulder impingement syndrome". Its real. I looked it up. Basically the overhead movement causes the shoulder to bind and pop and do all sorts of nasty nasty.

He didnt give me any other exercises to do and I dont see him again for a month.

cwolfeman13 - im 5 months into my recovery. Spent the first 3 months with a physical therapist and the bands. We're trying to avoid surgery at this point. My injury was a clear tear from trauma (hit by a car while riding my bike). Sprains are the worst... I feel for you.

Odly enough, mine is also a result of a bicycle accident...I didn't get hit by a car thankfully, but I blew a tire somehow at about 25 MPH and it flipped me over the handle bars...

I'm already feeling much better, but I think it'll be a couple of months yet before I will be able to do much in RE to my usual weight training routine.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I really doubt there's much you can do to work your shoulders that won't hurt. My advice is just to take it easy and not worry about it. I've had 4 different shoulder surgeries (the last one just 3 weeks ago). I promise you, you don't want to make the problem worse. Right now I'm not even supposed to lift my arm under it's own power for the next several weeks.

If you're not already doing it, you might call your doctor and discuss going to see a Physical Therapist. The PTs are experts at strengthening the joint & rehabbing the tissues for issues like you have. Even if you only go just a few times to have them tell you a routine you can do, it would be worth it in my opinion.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I really doubt there's much you can do to work your shoulders that won't hurt. My advice is just to take it easy and not worry about it. I've had 4 different shoulder surgeries (the last one just 3 weeks ago). I promise you, you don't want to make the problem worse. Right now I'm not even supposed to lift my arm under it's own power for the next several weeks.

If you're not already doing it, you might call your doctor and discuss going to see a Physical Therapist. The PTs are experts at strengthening the joint & rehabbing the tissues for issues like you have. Even if you only go just a few times to have them tell you a routine you can do, it would be worth it in my opinion.

I did a full 3 month round of PT. On departing, they said "youre as good as we can get you - resume normal life". Which I did. Except my shoulder started getting worse not better so I went back and they said "yeah... go see the ortho". Which I did. And he told me to do what I can to strengthen it but avoid OHP.

I was just hoping someone had some ideas of what might fit well into the SL5x5 program instead of OHP. Ive been doing dumbell raises (front and side) in a 5x5 count. I was hoping someone could either confirm or suggest other better exercises.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Why not just take it easy for now. There's no rush to bench or strict press 135lb or whatever. Just do your squats and if you can deadlift and barbell or dumbbell row then go for it. Do a few sets of leg press, lunges or leg curls since your volume is so low. Keep doing the band work, massaged and face pulling movements for the recovery.

For sure, I can't speak for you but I would much rather spend 12 months fully recuperating than spend 12 months trying to figure out what I can do instead only to delay recovery for another 2 or 3 months. Easier said than done I guess, especially when the temptation is right in front of you, but stick with it.