can undereating cause mental disorders?

Options
Well since october of 2013 up until now i hae managed to lose 30 pounds i have gone from 150 to 120. However i was kind of undereating and everything was fine until I started hving these crazy feelings of suicide and agitation and couldnt stand to look t nything. It made me go to the doctor and I told my doctor tht Im hving these restless feelings and depression and he told me to stop my ''diet'' and ordered a blood test. Also my periods hve stoppe for the past three months :/ . Just about a week ago Instarted eating regulary no diet but I still get these restless agitated feelings and I feel like crying but cant cry and I feel hopeless and think to myself that there is no point in life No Point at all its like major depression. However when I eat without any control i feel slightly better after. Like in the afternoon I was crying like crazy and almost on the verge of committing suicide but when indrank coffee nd had a big sandwich with mayo I started feeling slightly better. I do kind of feel.restless but its ok now.I have been depressed before but it wasnt bad like this. I was just wondering tongive it couple of weeks and just eat without counting caories or anything and If i dont feel.better I will gonsee a psychologist.my bloodtest came out normal but hemoglobin wa kinda low :/ can undereating really mess up your brain ? I was reallt being restricting and ate 1200.calories a day and I even topped losing weight and I want my period bck :/

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    you should stop typing right now and go see a physician/therapist/medical professional. find someone to talk to in person that can help you.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) right now.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Please talk to someone...

Use the number posted.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Please call this number...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Not cause it, but undereating can be a symptom of it. Please call.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    you should stop typing right now and go see a physician/therapist/medical professional. find someone to talk to in person that can help you.

^All the above
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Please call this number...

I don't think this can be said enough. Call this number. You will be grateful that you did one day.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Yes it can cause it. One guy in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment cut some of his own fingers off.

I agree with others, seek help until you stabilize and explain to whoever you speak with about this correlating with your calorie intake.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Please get help...you deserve to get better!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Told to get help a week ago ... told to get help again today.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You have posted about this more than once.

Please call someone or speak to someone about these feelings IMMEDIATELY.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Thoughts of suicide is a medical emergency. Was it instigated by under-eating? Not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg... however, THAT is not important now. The thing is that you need to get your system back on track (whatever caused it)... See a therapist. if the thoughts of suicide are current, go to the emergency room... this is not something to play with.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yes, undereating can definitely exacerbate these feelings. Your dr told you to stop the diet. I would eat at a small surplus for a while. It will help your mental state no end. I have been there.

Feed and nourish yourself properly and talk to someone how you are feeling.

THINGS WILL GET BETTER. You will feel better. Please seek help as soon as you can. Even talking to someone will make you feel better.
  • cholepapi
    cholepapi Posts: 79
    Options
    Um. Yes it's the body going into distress for not consuming enough nutrients. I had Anorexia Nervosa and didn't even know it I would lost weight, worked the hell out of my body and hardly ate. I was a angry individual. I felt everything I ate and couldn't stand the feelingof it in my system. So what your feeling is extremely problematic and you need to get help from everyone. Food is not your enemy it's those negative thoughts that are making you feel horrible. Get help!
  • bosskitty
    bosskitty Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I really hope you feel better soon.