Is Anyone Else Trying the "Hungry Girl Diet" ?

Options

Replies

• AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    While I will admit that I have her books and have watched her show on Cooking Channel, I wouldn't follow her "diet". She relies on sugar-free; fat-free; and basically chemical laden products. The last time I watched her, she was making some type of chocolate mug cake and that's when I realized - everything that went into that "cake" was nothing but chemicals.

Banana-Chemical-Compounds-032486099057.jpg

THANK YOU.

1YLo5Jm.gif
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing her diet, but I do make her recipes on occasion. They're pretty deelish.

I just did a bit of browsing through her recipes - bookmarked and will be trying a few. Thanks!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't have any issues with her recipes. Some of them are actually pretty darn good, especially her Parm Tilapia.

But...the issue I do have with her is that she likes to demonize foods and basically preaches only eating fat free food...which is silly because your body needs fat in your diet, and many nutrients need fat to bind to in order for your body to be able to use them.

But...if her diet plan works for people then whatever floats their boat...as long as they are staying healthy.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    While I will admit that I have her books and have watched her show on Cooking Channel, I wouldn't follow her "diet". She relies on sugar-free; fat-free; and basically chemical laden products. The last time I watched her, she was making some type of chocolate mug cake and that's when I realized - everything that went into that "cake" was nothing but chemicals.

I don't do the sugar-free, fat-free products :noway: Recipes are jumping boards though so ingredients can be substituted. I'm always looking for different vegetable based and appetizer recipes. Still browsing through her recipes.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    Ok, for the doubters: she calls herself Hungry Girl because traditional "diets" left her hungry, so she started making lower cal recipes of her favorite foods that still fill her up. It's not because you are hungry on it
    Doubters?

The point is that NO "diet " s necessary to lose weight. Eat what you normally eat just less of it so that you are burning more than you eat.

Umm, that is a diet :laugh:
  • Cyan99
    Cyan99 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    "Hungry Girl Diet"? Thanks but no thanks. I like food.

+1
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love the Hungry-Girl! I'm not doing her diet but I've followed her for years and I have to say that she has always had people who do not like her methods because she uses processed foods in some of her recipes. What I like about her approach is she is REALISTIC. Just eating smaller portions or 'less' of the foods we already eat and like sometimes isn't a great option especially not if it's a dense caloric fatty food, so eating less will leave us still hungry. Her idea is to take those foods that are not the greatest but that we still want to enjoy once in a while and create healthier options that are larger portions and lower calorie.

Life is about balance, if you want to have a cheeseburger and you can fit a 600 calorie fast food one into your plan cool, but if you don't have the calories for it, try her swap and still enjoy the cheeseburger feeling. XOXO
  • Sad_Grandpa
    Sad_Grandpa Posts: 129
    Options

Banana-Chemical-Compounds-032486099057.jpg

The only thing I can pronounce in that is aqua, and I don't like the sound of it. I'm gonna stick with scotch and potatoes.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ok, for the doubters: she calls herself Hungry Girl because traditional "diets" left her hungry, so she started making lower cal recipes of her favorite foods that still fill her up. It's not because you are hungry on it
    Doubters?

The point is that NO "diet " s necessary to lose weight. Eat what you normally eat just less of it so that you are burning more than you eat.
    AKA a diet.
    I think you are missing my point. To me, a "diet" in the way I use it above is food restriction as to the TYPE of foods eaten, and it's my understanding of her "diet" is low sugar and low fat. You don't have to restrict TYPE of foods to lose weight or to maintain, you just eat less of it/

We are all on a diet in the general sense of diet being the foods we choose toeat.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Doubters?

Umm, that is a diet :laugh:
    Uumm....mmmm.....

Please read my prior posting. :laugh: :laugh:
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Most people would describe a diet as a short term means to lose weight, whereas portion control and being aware of what foods you eat is more a sustainable lifestyle change, therefore long term

Edit for typo
    Thank you. Exactly.
  • fitbeast70
    fitbeast70 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Her recipes are good but I haven't seen the diet.
  • tvickers27
    tvickers27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Exactly! Anytime that you are having to count your calories (the basis of my fitness pal) then you are dieting. You can call it prettier words like cutting back, or eating healthier, or making a lifestyle change, but at the beginning of it, it's a diet. The whole point of this thread was that the girl just wanted to know if anyone else is trying it to see if they are having the same results. Not to have people act like they are appalled that she's dieting. Jeez. Great for you that you've lost weight but guess what you dieted. You took the time to consider what went into your mouth and what exercises were working for you....diet!
  • tvickers27
    tvickers27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    di·et1

/ˈdī-it/

noun

noun: diet; plural noun: diets

the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.

"a vegetarian diet"

synonyms:

selection of food, food, foodstuffs; More

informalgrub, nosh

"health problems related to your diet"

a regular occupation or series of activities in which one participates.

"a healthy diet of classical music"

a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.

"I'm going on a diet"

(of food or drink) with reduced fat or sugar content.

modifier noun: diet

"diet soft drinks"

verb

verb: diet; 3rd person present: diets; past tense: dieted; past participle: dieted; gerund or present participle: dieting

restrict oneself to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight.

"it's difficult to diet"
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Doubters?

AKA a diet.
    I think you are missing my point. To me, a "diet" in the way I use it above is food restriction as to the TYPE of foods eaten, and it's my understanding of her "diet" is low sugar and low fat. You don't have to restrict TYPE of foods to lose weight or to maintain, you just eat less of it/

We are all on a diet in the general sense of diet being the foods we choose toeat.
    and we are on a diet whether we follow the advice of someone else in terms of how to reduce calories or we decide how ourselves.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Exactly! Anytime that you are having to count your calories (the basis of my fitness pal) then you are dieting. You can call it prettier words like cutting back, or eating healthier, or making a lifestyle change, but at the beginning of it, it's a diet. The whole point of this thread was that the girl just wanted to know if anyone else is trying it to see if they are having the same results. Not to have people act like they are appalled that she's dieting. Jeez. Great for you that you've lost weight but guess what you dieted. You took the time to consider what went into your mouth and what exercises were working for you....diet!
    By the tone of your post, I suspect you are pretty young. I come from the generation where "to diet" or "be on a diet" means to restrict the type of food you eat-cakes, cookies, high calorie meat, etc. It included that whole mentality of having a "cheat" day as well.

I didn't lose weight this way. I simply ate everything I love in moderation within my calorie goal, the same thing I do to maintain.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Doubters?

AKA a diet.

and we are on a diet whether we follow the advice of someone else in terms of how to reduce calories or we decide how ourselves.
    No. "We" are not. You may chose to call it diet but I chose not to.