80% 20% rule?

Options
Okay, not sure if Im really doing the 80% 20% rules or not but here it goes.

Most of the time my day looks like this:
Breakfast
Greek yogurt w/blueberries approx 250cals
Lunch
Wholegrain Sandwich w/meat and cheese. Mustard. Raw veggies on side. 5g carb yogurt approx 400 cals
Snack
Fruit 100cals
Supper
Meat and Veggies 400-500 cals OR meat and veggies and carb 600-700 cals
PM Snack
Raw veggies or Smartpop popcorn or yogurt 100-200cals
DAILY TOTALS - 1200-1500CALS (500 cal deficit for me)

Now say some days (once a week at the MOST) I eat crazy.
250 cal breaky
400 cal lunch
2 chocolate bars 500 cals
Bag of skittles 250 cals
Piece of carrot cake 500 cals
Cinnamon roll 500 cals
Big bag of chips 1000 cals
DAILY TOTAL of 3400 cals (1400 surplus for me)

I see some people still lose weight while following a 80/20 rule. Does that mean they are doing things like I do once a week? Do they exercise more than me??? (I burn about 1000 per week in cardio and strength train 3-4 times a week) During my "good" 6 days of the week I do include treats but in moderation like 1/2 cup icecream, a couple of hard candies, one cookie etc etc etc.

After typing this, does any one agree that maybe I should include a nice size treat in every. Like Mondays is 1 chocolate bar. Tuesdays is 1/2 cup icecream. Wednesday is a bag of Skittles....and so on??? I just feel so yucky after a 3400 calorie day. Loser, fat, ugly, never gonna get anywhere in fitness blah blah blah.....

PS - food calories are added up every day on my calculator instead of logging into MFP - I find it much quicker that way to know how many calories i consumed.

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you have a 500 cal deficit for 6 days of the week and then a 3000 cal suplus one day you are back at maintenance.

Typically, the 80/20 "rule" means about 80% of the time eating most unprocessed micronutrient dense foods. I would suspect that most people would do be better doing this daily rather than going all out once a week with only "junk" food. (satiety is bad, as well as making it very difficult to hit macros)
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you have a 500 cal deficit for 6 days of the week and then a 3000 cal suplus one day you are back at maintenance.

Typically, the 80/20 "rule" means about 80% of the time eating most unprocessed micronutrient dense foods. I would suspect that most people would do be better doing this daily rather than going all out once a week with only "junk" food. (satiety is bad, as well as making it very difficult to hit macros)

Shoot! I have to clarify. The first 6 days are indeed a 500 deficit but the 7th day is a 1400 cal surplus NOT 3000 surplus. I think at the end of week Im at a 2000 approx deficit so really i should lose .5lb right?????
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    This sort of binge/restrict cycle does not seem healthy to me. Is there a way you can balance your eating more? Maybe allow yourself small treats on a more regular basis, or limit the amount of excess you allow during cheat sessions.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. How much you eat matters way more than what you eat.

Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Typically, the 80/20 "rule" means about 80% of the time eating most unprocessed micronutrient dense foods.

That's how I would interpret it.

e.g. with a 2000 cal per day diet, 1600 cal from nutrient dense food, 400 cal from whatever else.

I guess you could also take it to mean eating well on 80% of days and not so well on 20% of days (i.e. 1 in 5 days), but you would still want to meet your calorie goals on those days.

What you are referring to is more of a 'cheat' day, where you eat what you like on one day per week. Some people find this helpful. As you stated, you were still in overall deficit for the week, which is fine. Cheat days can become a problem if the surplus calories are so high that it takes the overall weekly intake to a surplus.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I eat 80-20 everyday. There are no "cheat" meals since I "cheat" everyday. You still have to stay in calorie deficit to lose, so if you do it daily, then you should reach goal.

My daily 20% will consist either of ice cream, fast food, or candy. For me that's why I never gorge on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I eat 80-20 everyday. There are no "cheat" meals since I "cheat" everyday. You still have to stay in calorie deficit to lose, so if you do it daily, then you should reach goal.

My daily 20% will consist either of ice cream, fast food, or candy. For me that's why I never gorge on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I think this is worth a try! Maybe not EVERYDAY but most days. Just to keep my healthy eating in check and to not go overboard on 1 day a week.