Fitbit and jogging on the spot

Options
Hi everyone! I am in the early stages of my fitbit love affair (got my first fitbit zip yesterday and it's already changed my life). I sometimes go jogging with my boyfriend and, while I've always just ran as far and fast as I can, he actually runs as slow as he can. I think this is better because, while he covers less distance, he is able to keep his heart rate up for longer and have more consistency in his running. With the fitbit, if you are exercising hard but not covering as much distance, are your calories burned going to be accurate? Or do you have to cover a lot of distance for your fitbit to reflect the burn?

Replies

• clair3jane
    clair3jane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    sorry, the question is not well phrased. Wrong side of lunchtime. Let me know if I can clarify.
  • mcjaegs
    mcjaegs Posts: 7
    Options
    Well the fitbit measures steps, not distance. If you take a lot of quick but short steps that keep your heart rate up but don't cover a lot of distance, the fitbit should still be pretty accurate.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the fitbit and running. I run in place. But your BF is wrong. It's better to run fast in spurts. Long runs are just junk. Studies have proven this and if you want to do the research along with your BF, you'll discover this for yourself. Running fast in less time is healthier than plodding along like a herd of zebras.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The fitbit provides and estimate, if you want an accurate burn measurement get a heart rate monitor. I use both.
  • clair3jane
    clair3jane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, everyone!