How long are you in the gym for??

I'm starting a new job that has me working long hours- and although I love the gym, I don't want to be In there for longer than I need to be after working a 12hr day. So my question is- how long are you usually at the gym for? Are you only weightlifting or is your cardio included In that amount of time? Has anyone noticed a difference when increasing or decreasing the amount of time they are at the gym? Right now my workouts last about 90 minutes.. I am thinking about cutting down to 45 min

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i noticed a difference when i cut back on my gym time. when pressed for time i don't day dream between sets, i breathe and recover and get ready for the next one. i don't think to myself "what should i do next?" i know exactly what i'm going in for. i've had some of the best work outs ever in 45 minutes.

i still warm up, usually with some foam rolling, dynamic stretching, and some quick calisthenics. i stretch afterwards. maybe i don't cool down enough, but i won't cut short my warm up.

you shouldn't cut back on time for the sake of cutting back on time. you should cut back the meaningless or repetitious exercises.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    45 min without cardio and approx 65 with. When I'm bulking I do little to no cardio, when cutting only 3 20 min HIIT sessions a week. Sometimes I just make time for the cardio when I can.
  • mixtapes23
    mixtapes23 Posts: 30 Member
    I'm there anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes usually doing straight cardio. I think 45 minutes is plenty of time spent at the gym if you get a great workout.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    i try for monday - friday on my lunch breaks for 45 minutes. Some days 40 minutes cardio, some days 20 minutes cardio, rest weights ( 20 minutes) Saturday I try for a bit longer. Sundays...nothing. except some dog walks. Changes day by day. Really I can only fit 45 minutes in on my lunch break during the week but I giver'.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    lately i've been staying for more than 2 hours. I go to the gym only 3 times a week so i feel guilty if i don't do everything.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    30-45 minutes for me workouts. 45 minutes for cardio
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    50-65 mins cardio, 35-50 mins weights.
    Days I do not gym it, I cycle for 70-100 minutes or get in a long walk.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    I'm usually in and out in less than an hour.
  • HopeNShelton
    HopeNShelton Posts: 59 Member
    I do the Curves Smart total workout, 30 minutes 4/5x a week. I love it and I am so energized the rest of the day.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Depends. If I'm just lifting I'm there for 60-75 minutes. If I include cardio that adds an extra 30 minutes.
  • I'm starting a new job that has me working long hours- and although I love the gym, I don't want to be In there for longer than I need to be after working a 12hr day. So my question is- how long are you usually at the gym for? Are you only weightlifting or is your cardio included In that amount of time? Has anyone noticed a difference when increasing or decreasing the amount of time they are at the gym? Right now my workouts last about 90 minutes.. I am thinking about cutting down to 45 min
    Until I'm done.

Sorry if that doesn't really answer your question but your workout is your own. Everyone is different. If you feel that you've done enough then your session is done. If you have a time crunch then plan your workout before you go.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    About 90 minutes.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    90-120 minutes including warm up. No cardio.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    If I'm there to run, about 30 minutes plus changing time. If I'm there for non-running exercise mabye 45-60 minutes, but right now that is once or twice a week as I am running 4-5 times a week and I need a rest day.

Of course now that all the snow and ice has melted I don't run at the gym and besides I'vm now marathon training and people would look at me sideways if I took up a treadmill long enough to run 8-20 miles
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I do time under tension which is pretty efficient. 45 minutes and I'm done. No cardio.
  • benwirtz
    benwirtz Posts: 1 Member
    I started doing Jiu Jitsu, and in about 60 minutes, you burn anywhere from 800-1200 calories, depending on what you're doing. After that workout I'm pretty sore all over the next morning. You work most of your muscle groups.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Too long--about two hours.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    I usually do 75-90 minutes if cardio is included, otherwise I'll spend about 60 minutes on my lifting schedule. But I do 30-60 second breaks between sets. I also don't have kids and my husband works later than I do so I never feel rushed to meet a certain deadline.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    When lifting I'm in and out in 60 mins. I could probably get it in 45 minutes except on my heaviest lifts where I need more rest time.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Just over an hour doing weights and some quick stretching after. Slightly longer for leg days. No cardio for meee