Turning Disappointment Into Success

Options
I had a few goals for this year, one of them being to get in the best physical shape of my life so far. I won't go into what the others were, but I've reached two of the others so far this year and was feeling fantastic. Until tonight. Tonight, I found out the one nearest and dearest to my heart, the one that I really wanted to succeed at, and thought I had nearly reached, fell through. And there's pretty much nothing I can do about it, no way to salvage the damage. I'm upset, disappointed, discouraged, hurt, depressed... well, you get the picture.

But then I thought, I won't let this get me down. No, I can't let this get me down. I have to turn all the negativity and depression into something more positive. I need to pick back up, and focus on my other goals, most notably my fitness goals, and not let my disappointment get in the way of the goals I can actually do something about and succeed at. I have to do this for me.

Failing that goal wasn't truly my fault, and at this point, I've done all the damage control I can do. Maybe I will have another chance some day. I hope I do. But for now, there's nothing more I can do about it, nothing I can do to change what happened.

I can change my perspective though. And so I will. And I will get into really bada** shape along the way.

That being said, I'm going to go sign up for that 5k I was so intimidated by. The one supporting a cause dear to my heart. And I'm going to train for it, and not let my fear get in the way of me doing something I really want to do.

And if you have a story about a time where you turned a disappointment or failure into a success, I would love to hear it.

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I like your attitude. Focus on the things you CAN change. Look at all the progress you've already made. You can do this 5k. You will succeed. :drinker:

ETA: My disappointment story (without going into details): I had a major career FAIL a few years ago that devastated me - I mean it tore me up. But that experience and it's repercussions ended up turning into one of the biggest WIN's of my life. So, to make a long story short, what seems horrible now may end up heading you in a better direction in the long run. :flowerforyou:
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've left myself a little short on time to train at this point, but it's not impossible. And I can walk part of it if I have to.

Potentially my disapointment could turn into a positive down the line. It's hard to believe that now, but it could.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This post makes me happy :-D. Good luck with the 5km and congratulations on the attitude, just kick the bad times in the face and find a positive in it :-)

EDIT: Probably being turned down as an air force medic 5 years ago (I lost 35-40kgs so I could pass the fitness test) because I had bad knees when I was overweight (they weren't bad anymore but the condition I had was one of the automatic exclusion criteria). It really got me down, but it also pushed me to take up Ironman and half Iron man distance triathlons so in the end I have a job I love and am stronger than ever :-)
  • colortheworld
    Options
    Awesome success story! Love it!

And thank you! Lots of luck and hard work will get me there. :drinker:
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Love your positivity! There are certain things in life that are out of your hands, and that just won't go the way you want them to.

I've had some bad experiences with people in my life who lived destructive lifestyles. No matter how hard I tried to help them, it never worked because they didn't want to change.

It's sad but they forced me to look at the way I live my life. And that is something I can change. Hence my being here, working hard to get fit and stay healthy. We can't let bad things bring us down!
  • colortheworld
    Options
    You can't change people... one of the hardest lessons I had to learn. But we can change ourselves, and be a good example to others!