Satiety..

Options
I'm curious. Is it different for everyone? Like one person could feel full more on consuming proteins, or others on fats and other just on consuming carbs?

I have a friend and she ate a bag of M&Ms and said she was full from that. I wouldn't be full from that alone. Lol

What satiates you?

Replies

• arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    How big was the bag? lulz

I get full on carbs very easily. My man makes awesome pancakes. I eat three of his pancakes and I am full almost the rest of the day. If I ate 3 eggs I'd be hungry again in 3 hours.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Protein. And oddly enough, if I'm not very hungry, hot tea.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    It was a small bag! Like my other friends get full just having a piece of cake. They're done.

I hear people saying eat eggs and you'd be full and I observe myself I don't know if it's actually keeping me full or I'm tricking myself. Lol Now rice stuffs me, bread leaves me hungry.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Every one is different and there are people who pretend they're full and then stuff their faces later. I used to do that when I was younger. "oh this apple is very filling"....thinking "and so is the box of mac and cheese I will eat later"
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yes, I need complex carbs to feel satiated/full. If I just eat protein/fat heavy meals I don't feel satisfied at all, just kind of like I ate a stone, so I would often have stomach ache but at the same time feel hungry.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The only time I feel full is when I just eat a bowl of white rice with soy sauce. Otherwise, I constantly feel hungry. I drink 2 gallons of water a day, hit my goals on fiber and protein, and yet I still feel hungry. I think people lie when they say eggs and oatmeal make people feel full because I am always still hungry after eating either.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The only time I feel full is when I just eat a bowl of white rice with soy sauce. Otherwise, I constantly feel hungry. I drink 2 gallons of water a day, hit my goals on fiber and protein, and yet I still feel hungry. I think people lie when they say eggs and oatmeal make people feel full because I am always still hungry after eating either.

I used Vanessalkl's recipe on this topic for a while. The first time I made it , it was pretty much too much and I had to cut the recipe in half. Also had to make it with chopped apples instead of bananas due to my "problem" with bananas (can't keep em in the house they'll get eaten too fast)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/800187-breakfast-and-dinner

As for eggs I eat those with sausage for breakfast or hard boiled with apples, PB and honey for a snack. By themselves I don't know I'd be that full from eggs. They'd be more of a snack to keep me distracted till my next meal
  • prixprax
    prixprax Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    People are so different in this regard. For me carbs do not fill me up at all, i can keep eating bread and never feel full, it just does not satisfy my hunger for some reason. Don't get me wrong, i love bread, but i avoid eating it as it just feels like wasting calories. I do much better with a bit of protein and a lot of veggies, which i can eat in bulk and therefore feel full afterwards.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Everyone is definitely different. I see oatmeal touted as a satiating breakfast food, but if I started my day with a huge bowlful (say three normal servings), I'd be eating again within two hours. But I'm one of those people who can eat two hard boiled eggs with a smear of mayonnaise on each half, and be full until lunch.

For me, it's definitely protein, then fat. Carbs, unless they're paired with lots of protein and/or fat, triggers some sort of hunger response. Not only am I not satiated, I'm actually more hungry than before I ate the carb-heavy meal.

Which is a shame, because one of my favourite foods is pasta. Lots of pasta, a tiny bit of of oil/butter and a mound of paprika. :sad:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me there's a fine line between being 'full' and being 'stuffed', and it takes a lot to get stuffed. I just have three states really... hungry (although it can go anywhere from starving to mildly hungry), not hungry, stuffed. And it takes a lot to make me stuffed, but often not much to make me not hungry (but it doesn't mean I won't be hungry within an hour).

After that, it really totally depends. Sometimes something that would keep me not hungry for 3 hours normally will just work for one hour or something.. But one bag of M&Ms, probably not, it depends how hungry I was in the first place.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    A VERY protein heavy breakfast is what works for me. Anything (and I really like oatmeal!) but anything too carb heavy like oatmeal or toast, and hour or so later I have the Chinese food affect. :laugh:
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Yes, I need complex carbs to feel satiated/full. If I just eat protein/fat heavy meals I don't feel satisfied at all, just kind of like I ate a stone, so I would often have stomach ache but at the same time feel hungry.
    What she said, although protein+fiber > fiber alone. Can eat 2000+ calories worth of cheese and feel hungry again 2-3 hours later but 500 calories of peas and meat will make me feel ready to burst..

I'm not very hungry in the morning though, so I just eat whatever for breakfast (if at all).
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    oats keep me fuller for longer
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I experience various stages:

1) Hangry (when I haven't eaten in 5+ hours)
    2) Ravenous (when I haven't eaten in 4 hours)
    3) Hungry (when I haven't eaten in 3 hours)
    4) Peckish (after having a 100-200 calorie snack)
    5) Satisfied (after eating 300-600 calories in one sitting)
    6) Full (when I have just eaten 600-1000 calories in one sitting)
    7) Uncomfortable (after eating 1000-1500 calories in one sitting)
    8) Loosening pants (after eating 1500-2000 calories in one sitting)
    9) Engorged (following consumption of 2000+ calories in one sitting)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I am a fat and protein girl. I eat 3 eggs in the morning scrambled with some raw cheese, veggies and a home made sausage patty (yes I ground it and seasoned it myself) and I am full from around 5:30 - 6:00 when I eat in the morning until around 1 or 2pm when I have a salad for lunch.
  • judyamk
    judyamk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    eat a protein and a fat together takes longer to digest and you stay full longer, give it a try it works!!