who would like to help me getting started?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm Amy and 18 years old. I weigh 60kg and I'm 168 cm tall. I know that that isn't that much but it's still way too much to feel comfortable in my body. Especially as I used to be naturally skinny without doing anything for it-lucky me.. Than quite a few stays in hospital without any sport and frustrated eating followed. Now I'm so out of shape that I do't want to show myself in shorts or even a bikini.
I'm quite new to the whole fitness and clean eating thing but I really want to start! Not tomorrow but TODAY!
I looked over a few programs (tha kayla itsines 12 week bikinibody guide..etc...) but they are all quite expensive so I was wondering if t is really necessary to spend that much money on just the exercises? And what about dieting?

If anyone could provide me with information how they managed to loose weight I would be so so thankful!

Replies

• samyadas
    samyadas Posts: 9
    Options
    i ate less and lifted weights, seemed to work.
  • cfsmith60
    cfsmith60 Posts: 13
    Options
    Welcome Amy, I'm new to the site as well and look forward to the future. I sympathize somewhat, it took me years to get this out of shape, but I'm in the same situation as you and we're ready to get rid of the extra fat and weight. So good luck to you!

I agree with Sam, and it's essentially what I'm doing. Start paying attention to what you eat, log it, and at the end of the day look at the stats (calories/sugars/fats/etc). See if you're in the green or the red based on what goal you've set. That'll get you into rhythm with your eating habits and calorie intake.

After that, whichever exercise path you choose, log it as well and let the machine calculate the numbers for you, at least in the beginning. Honestly, MFP has some exercises and numbers logged for you. I do jogging and jumping jacks with some "natural weight" workouts (pushups, pull ups, situps) which burn calories just like the more expensive methods do. So, my opinion is no, you don't have to buy anything to burn calories!

I've found that letting the app do the number crunching keeps me honest and on the path. I need it, at least for now, and I think it could help us with our overall goal of losing weight.

Good luck Amy! And from what little time I've started, I can say this community is very welcoming, so stick around and ask away.

-c
  • burn0that0fat
    Options
    Thanks for your encouraging words c and your detailed guide Branstin! Helped! :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You are young and I'm going to respond to you as if you were my daughter. (I have 12 & 14 year old daughters.)

Aim for mostly good food choices. Eat veggies with each meal, and fruits either with meals or as snacks. (Personally I don't care for sweet stuff at meal time - except perhaps fruit w/ breakfast.) Be aware of portion control. We tend to overeat things we love. Eat for nutrition, not to fulfill emotional or social needs. And be active. Exercise doesn't need to be scary or expensive. Walking is free. Join in intramural activities if you can. At 18 - are you a student? Do you have resources thru your school?